Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Looking for my first Porsche. Need Advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2015, 04:00 PM
BOBOYDDS
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Looking for my first Porsche. Need Advice

Im new to this forum but have been looking for a 911 for a while. Almost pulled the trigger in 2011 on a 1996 C4S for $40, 475 and am kicking myself for not doing it since the prices have gone way up. I am looking at a 1989 911 with 175,000 miles asking $39,995. Need help asking the correct questions to the owner. I attached a picture. Any help would be appreciated!
Attached Images  
Old 04-10-2015, 05:04 PM
BrooksBier
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

You must be near Sac. I have dealt with that dealership and they seem pretty good. That price in my opinion is on the high end. For that price, I would want to know if there has been a top end rebuild, not saying it needs one but at that price, the car better be pristine. I know they were shopping for air cooled cars last week when I talked with them about my car. Good luck.
Old 04-10-2015, 05:38 PM
kreeshp
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

At current market values (April 2015), $40k should get you into a narrow bodied 993 or 964, or a 3.2 Carrera (1984-1989). What you end up with comes down to availability in your search area, personal preference, and condition/color of the vehicle.

That black one in your photo is overpriced, IMHO, given its mileage.
Old 04-10-2015, 06:43 PM
BOBOYDDS
Instructor

Yes this car is in Sacramento. I agree is does seem overpriced. I am going to ask for more info on this car but may hold out for a 993 or 964. What do you think is fair market value for this car?
Old 04-10-2015, 07:18 PM
wportervt
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The miles don't scare me too much as long as it checks out mechanically, but the price is way high.
My biggest problem with this car is the fact that they are marketing it and pricing it as a "very rare" limited edition but it has later model wheels, an aftermarket steering wheel, aftermarket stereo and speakers, and I don't think the center console is the correct one for the anniversary edition. If you're in the market for a limited edition car you're likely looking for one as true to spec as possible and this isn't it. The cosmetics on this car have been changed and the anniversary edition was just a cosmetic package to begin with. Add to that the rug on the dash which is likely covering up cracks and the price is probably $6k - $8k high to me. Otherwise this is just another higher mileage 911 and should be priced accordingly.
Old 04-10-2015, 08:04 PM
BrooksBier
Instructor

I was thinking the same thing. Those wheels don't seem right, the speakers are disco, there are stains in the back seat. That is a top of the market dealer price. It's a fine enough car but I think you can find better at that price. But that is just the asking price and if you drive it and love it and it checks out, you can always offer them what you are comfortable with. It's certainly not the worst priced car I have seen lately….
Old 04-10-2015, 08:09 PM
BrooksBier
Instructor

Of the cars they have in inventory, I would consider the silver 993 to be the best of the air cooled cars they have. If I could get that thing at $40k flat, I would strongly consider it if there were no significant issues. The other cars they have are priced about $5k over what they should get.
Old 04-10-2015, 08:30 PM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by wportervt
The miles don't scare me too much as long as it checks out mechanically, but the price is way high.
My biggest problem with this car is the fact that they are marketing it and pricing it as a "very rare" limited edition but it has later model wheels, an aftermarket steering wheel, aftermarket stereo and speakers, and I don't think the center console is the correct one for the anniversary edition. If you're in the market for a limited edition car you're likely looking for one as true to spec as possible and this isn't it. The cosmetics on this car have been changed and the anniversary edition was just a cosmetic package to begin with. Add to that the rug on the dash which is likely covering up cracks and the price is probably $6k - $8k high to me. Otherwise this is just another higher mileage 911 and should be priced accordingly.
Agree... to pay $40 for a 3.2 it better be PERFECT, imo, or if not perfect, have the modifications that are tasteful and valuable to you as the next owner. This car seems to wish it was original and pristine, but just isn't. Immediately, not having the fuchs makes this unattractive in my mind. Change the wheels all you want while you own it, but put the fuchs back on to sell it!
Old 04-10-2015, 09:30 PM
BOBOYDDS
Instructor

Thanks for the feedback! I may go by the dealer if i have a chance and look at them in person.
Old 04-13-2015, 04:47 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

All of the above... for $40K you can do better IMHO...

Don't be tied to local vendors.... that ship has sailed... this is an international market, and good cars get shipped to the highest bidder.

I'd still recommend using private sellers... if you are willing to pay full retail+, you've got a much better chance of getting a good car with a legit history for a bit more work.
Old 04-14-2015, 02:51 AM
BOBOYDDS
Instructor

Spoke to the dealer today and he bought from another dealer that took it as a trade. I have not looked at it but I told him i thought the asking was $5,000 too high to start with. He said he would knock off $3,500. The market is so competitive now but will keep looking. Hopefully i will be at the right place at the right time and get one this year!
Old 04-15-2015, 10:59 AM
Drisump
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kreeshp
At current market values (April 2015), $40k should get you into a narrow bodied 993 or 964, or a 3.2 Carrera (1984-1989). What you end up with comes down to availability in your search area, personal preference, and condition/color of the vehicle.

That black one in your photo is overpriced, IMHO, given its mileage.
I'm not sure if you'd be talking cars in the same condition and spec for 40k. For instance Tiptronic and/or cabs in the 993 line could be had for less but a well sorted coupe would likely go for quite a bit more. At $40k, unless I'm completely out of touch with the market, should get you a very nice and well sorted 3.2 or 964. The one thing the OP should know is the 993 is a much more complicated car with many more expensive parts compared to at least the 3.2, and many now need significant $ spent on their suspension systems. When I bought my 96 in the fall I knew there was a lot of suspension work to be done.....and indeed there was. 20 years and 70k miles has a nasty effect on the factory 993 suspensions. Anyway, all are great cars, enjoy the chase.
Old 04-15-2015, 08:08 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

Wheels don't look right and makes me wonder what else isn't right. I'd just make sure you take a good look at everything and ask for previous service records if possible. Pricing set should be for a very well conditioned 911.

-Luccia
888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

Quick Reply: Looking for my first Porsche. Need Advice