Car theft protection

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 05:25 PM
Pc007
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Car theft protection

Hi guys,

What's your opinion on avoiding car theft? Our cars are getting more and more desirable and I can't stop thinking about someone stealing it everytime I park my car.

So, should I go:

- Battery cut system
- gasoline pump cut system
- GPS track system
- alarm system...not my favourite, I think people don't care when an alarm go off
- others you think are the best

Thanks
Old 03-30-2015, 05:26 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,415 Likes on 2,518 Posts

Lock it.
Carry good insurance.
Remove/reduce common sense attractive nuisances (GPS, radar detector, money, cell phone, purse, etc.).
Enjoy your car.
Worry less.
Old 03-30-2015, 05:32 PM
Pc007
Racer

Insurance won't cover theft in cars over 10 years old where I'm from, even if they did it wouldn't bring back the car...only money and these cars are increasing until crazy prices here in Europe

It's easy saying it but this is something that sometimes gets me from enjoying the car as I should...
Old 03-30-2015, 05:37 PM
HorstP
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post

For short stops I have a switch for the fuel pump, for longer ones I have a good quality wheel clamp.
Old 03-30-2015, 05:56 PM
Pc007
Racer

A wheel clamp? Never seen it, do you have any photos? The gasoline pump cut I also think it's the best for short period absence...
Old 03-30-2015, 10:35 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

My car is always left with the doors unlocked and a spare key in the ash tray. Often even leave the windows down. Please just be kind to it when you take it.
Old 03-31-2015, 12:49 PM
gerry100
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

stick shift
Old 03-31-2015, 01:23 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by gerry100
stick shift
Yes, we all know that nobody can shift a 915....

All my cars have dead batteries right now, so I don't really have that problem.

But, back in the day, I had a 1967 Alfa Duetto, and lived in the city. I left it unlocked so the Winos and Crank-heads wouldn't cut the top (generally found my glove-box rummaged every morning).

Whenever I parked it, I just popped the distributor and took out the rotor... took about 1 minute... most street people do not carry spare parts for Italian sportscars... (of course neither do the Auto Parts dealers).
Old 03-31-2015, 01:24 PM
oldskewel
Burning Brakes

Received 139 Likes on 112 Posts

stick shift
Yes!

I never lock mine because the roof (cabriolet) is always down. I do almost always attach the full tonneau cover that goes up to the dash. That stops people from seeing inside it, and the Tenax snaps are unusual and tough enough for the common criminal to manipulate that I feel safer. It also keeps the interior cool and protected from the sun.

I had a fuel pump kill switch in my old '79 FIAT Spider. It had a carburetor, so the car would actually start and run for a few seconds with fuel disabled, until the float bowl emptied. It never happened, but I always thought it would be funny for a thief to start stealing it and then have it die. Would probably blame it on the FIAT's unrealiability.

So of all the choices, I'd recommend a custom wired ignition and/or fuel kill switch. Alarms that just make noise are useless.
Old 03-31-2015, 01:34 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by oldskewel
Yes!

I had a fuel pump kill switch in my old '79 FIAT Spider. It had a carburetor, so the car would actually start and run for a few seconds with fuel disabled, until the float bowl emptied. It never happened, but I always thought it would be funny for a thief to start stealing it and then have it die. Would probably blame it on the FIAT's unreliability.
Imagine the thief's surprise when a FIAT would actual start and run!!! Of course you have to feel sorry for somebody that would actually steal a FIAT... not the brightest bulb in the lamp
Old 03-31-2015, 02:51 PM
oldskewel
Burning Brakes

Received 139 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by JCP911S
Imagine the thief's surprise when a FIAT would actual start and run!!! Of course you have to feel sorry for somebody that would actually steal a FIAT... not the brightest bulb in the lamp
Ha!

Yes, it ended up being a great car after I rebuilt the engine and literally replaced everything in the whole car except the distributor and starter. Good education for me back in the day. My first car - when I bought it from one of my professors at MIT, I had never even done an oil change on a car. But by the time I was done, yes, I wish I had stepped up and started with an Alfa. But if I had, I might not have the 911 now.

But I can remember needing to give a long list of pre-flight instructions (such as the kill switch) to friends when they would borrow it. I guess that's pretty good theft protection.
Old 03-31-2015, 04:15 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by oldskewel
Ha!

Yes, it ended up being a great car after I rebuilt the engine and literally replaced everything in the whole car except the distributor and starter. Good education for me back in the day. My first car - when I bought it from one of my professors at MIT, I had never even done an oil change on a car. But by the time I was done, yes, I wish I had stepped up and started with an Alfa. But if I had, I might not have the 911 now.

But I can remember needing to give a long list of pre-flight instructions (such as the kill switch) to friends when they would borrow it. I guess that's pretty good theft protection.
An early 124 is still a pretty good buy today... unfortunately, a nice Duetto is pushing $30-40K.... I paid $1,200 for mine back in the day (with the floor-delete option, of course).

Lots of good stories, but OT.
Old 03-31-2015, 06:47 PM
Pc007
Racer

Lol...a Fiat, I would leave the key in the car...and hope they take it everyday!! Hehehe

I think I'll go with the gas pump switch....thanks guys
Old 03-31-2015, 11:17 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

stick shift
Yep, offered my soon to be son-in-law the Carrera for the honeymoon and he declined....can't shift. What a girl.
Old 04-01-2015, 08:06 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,172 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by Pc007
Lol...a Fiat, I would leave the key in the car...and hope they take it everyday!! Hehehe I think I'll go with the gas pump switch....thanks guys
Just make sure your kill switch is on the low side of the relay

You don't want a switch on the high side of the relay with a mechanical contact and wiring, that is a fair bit of current

Quick Reply: Car theft protection