Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Intermittent Starter Problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2003, 08:41 PM
geo.aigel
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Intermittent Starter Problems

This happened now the second time around in about 4 montsh. After long drives, not running the car hot though the starter won't even move when turning the key.

First time around I just waited about half a day and it went back to normal. Second time around I didn't have time to wait and jacked it up and beat the starter with a mallet and got it to start again on the third try (increasing the level of impact with the hammer).

I think the solenoid might have a sticking problem / heat soak / intermittent problem and I should replace it. Do you agree?

Are solenoids available separately, or am I going to have to buy a new starter? Where do I get these things and shoudl I go rebuilt or new?

TIA, George
Old 09-02-2003, 09:36 PM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

George,

Certainly sounds like a solenoid/starter type problem. These can be purchased from the likes of Vertex or EBS
Old 09-03-2003, 02:51 AM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Do you track the car?
Old 09-03-2003, 04:31 AM
geo.aigel
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jack:

Only AutoX so far. Plan is to start time trials next year. First time this happened, I drove 2+ hours through the mountains and ran it pretty hard with a 45 minute freeway run in the end. Second time it happened, I drove 1.5 hours to an event and ran it pretty fast on the freeway, 4k rpm constant. Didn't run hot both times, way below the middle of the scale.

I have run the car plenty hot in stop and go traffic and it gets nice and crisp in the autoX events. There doesn't seem to be a direct connection between running the car at higher temps (still below the middle of the scale though) and the problem that I encountered.

Again, I had this only twice but I want to avoid having it a third time. The car is also used as a family backup vehicle, so it should be reliable, especially when the better half uses it!

TIA for any more input you may have!

George
Old 09-05-2003, 07:23 PM
RoninLB
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you may have an elec feed problem? if you can jump the sol from the big hot then check if you have clean contacts at the 14 pin engine el panel, the harness connector in the luggage compartment, and start sw.. if you can't jump it then the sol may need a cleaning and relube.. the sol takes a beating from heat and the sol grease turns to glue. That sol is kinda matience item, IMO...........Ron

Quick Reply: Intermittent Starter Problems