Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   911 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/911-forum-56/)
-   -   What's the difference 1974 911 v 1974 Carrera? (https://rennlist.com/forums/911-forum/84247-whats-the-difference-1974-911-v-1974-carrera.html)

Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems 08-20-2003 02:22 PM

Originally posted by Bill Verburg
Steve, If we're not being too nosey, how about telling us some more about your car.
Hi Bill:

LOL,...not at all,... :)

Basically, I did many mods to the car in 1978-79 during my IMSA-TransAM days. It still looks very stock with 7 & 8 Fuchs wheels.

Its got 22mm/27mm t-bars with 19mm adjustable swaybars, urethane bushings everywhere, custom valved Bilstein RSR struts and shocks, strut brace, adjustable spring plates, etc.

The motor is an old IMSA GTU motor that I built, but never raced (the bozos changed rules midstream) and subsequently detuned a bit. Its an S-cammed, 250 HP twin-plug 2.7 with Webers, RSR distributor, RSR crank, RSR rods, a set of really good race heads, and a bunch of internal stuff,.... :)

Anti-reversionary headers with my own Sport Muffler.

The tranny is a '77 915 with an LSD and close-ratio gears.

930 brakes and our custom front rotors (naturally) with OEM rears; 23mm MC of course.

Its weighs 2310 so its rather entertaining and is a nice balance of power, handling, and sufficient braking. With its Recaro LS seats and Schroth harnesses, its fun to drive and very comfy on long trips, aside from the noise level.

No entertainment system, but with that "6-speaker" stereo in back, who needs it anyway??

Bill Verburg 08-20-2003 02:33 PM

Beautiful!:)
Thanks for sharing!

Lefty's Deceiver 08-20-2003 02:37 PM

Steve - great car, must be a lot of fun.

Bill - Where did you get those mounting adaptors for the 964 brakes onto the 911? I'm pretty interested in that setup. Also are the rotors just "bolt-on"

Many thanks for the reply,

Lefty

art 08-20-2003 06:30 PM

I just bought a '75 carrera that sort of fell into my lap. It came with an SC engine that I am now installing. I can't wait to drive it. It has 57K on it.

It is bright yellow, and very nice except for moldy seats and one small rust area under the battery. No sunroof, but has AC and PW. I am going to get some wind-ups I think. It was missing the door panels so I need to replace them anyway. I am deleting AC also.

I have not adressed oil cooling yet, but will keep an eye on it. I don't plan to race so it might not be an issue.

I was surprised by how little info there is out there on the 2.7 to 3.0 conversion. I thought it would be well publicized, but I'm having a hard time getting info on some of the details.

Art

Bill Verburg 08-20-2003 06:36 PM

I did those brakes a looooong time ago. There are much better options available now.

If I was doing this today I would use Big reds on 322x32(the rotors are relatively cheap and easy to come by)if 17s are used and 993/S4 on 304x32s(these rotors are kinda expensive unless you go w/ the inferior brands of rotor) which fit fine in 16s. the 322s are only ~1kg heavier than the 304s but ifferthat much more thermal mass/area

In the back you will want modified 965 or 993tt calipers on 930 309x28s.

update the flex lines, pads of choice and m/c and you are set

The front axial to radial adapters, hats and rear caliper mods are available from lots of places. I don't know which ones sell ala carte and which sell only the whole kits.

Bill Verburg 08-20-2003 06:43 PM

Art, Fred Schroeder wrote a very comprehensive article on a 3.0 CIS swapped into a 2.7CIS. The article was originally published in the Dec. '84 issue of Pano. It is currently available in Up~Fixen vol VII p83-86

The more popular swap these days is a 3.2 or 3.6 into an earlier car. BTDT a couple of times.

JPhillips-998 08-20-2003 06:57 PM

Careful what you post here Lefty! When you start club racing your car w/me in E class, I WILL be checking your brakes!

Will you be making an appearance at Road America next weekend? I am doing the sprint race in my car and sharing an F class 944 for the enduro.

Lefty's Deceiver 08-20-2003 07:34 PM

Jeff,

Not really thinking about racing until I feel comfortable in the car. I think that'll be a few years from now, depending on budget, family etc... I'm just thinking about options but I'm yet to see how the S calipers operate on the track. It's about the only point of the car that I'm worried about.

I cannot go to RA because I have family coming in from the UK. I'm going to GRattan with the BMW guys on the 6th Sept. Hoping the car will be ready then. Should be installing the oil cooler this weekend and then it's off to the paint shop for the IROC bumpers. Then I'm practically done. Whew!

Let me know if I can drop off your tools. Thanks!!

Lefty

Lefty's Deceiver 08-20-2003 07:38 PM

Jeff,

Let me know what wheels you have, I may be interested. I'd like to keep my fronts because the offset is better but the rears need to be changed.

Lefty

JPhillips-998 08-21-2003 02:33 AM

Lefty,
I now have two sets of 16x7 and 8's w/ the 911 offsets and 1 set of the same size w/944 offset. The ideal set up is 944 8's in the front (with rolled fenders) and 911 9's in the back. However, like brakes, you can only go 1 inch wider that originally equipped so 7's and 8's are your limit for Club Racing. the 944 offsets work just as well with 1/2 inch spacers.

Drop off the tools anytime, but give a call and we can do a drive and meet somewhere. It would be fun to run the Edens or Lakeshore.

Lefty's Deceiver 08-21-2003 01:55 PM

Jeff,

I was thinking of keeping either the 7 or 8 944 offset for the front. I had heard that all the cub racers were using 8s on front. Is that not true? Did the Euro Carrera come with 6" or 7" upfront? 911 9s would be sweet but really decadent right now :). So I'm really looking for one pair of 8" 911 offset.

Bill Verburg 08-21-2003 02:24 PM

In PCA club racing brakes in stack classes are not allowed to be other than as originally equipped.

4. Brakes
A. Brake pad material is free.
B. Brake calipers and rotors must be as supplied by the factory for the year and type of vehicle.
C. Grooving/slotting/cross drilling of rotors is allowed.
D. Ducting of air to rotors is allowed.
E. Removal of dust shields (backing plates) is allowed.
F. Brake fluid is free.
G. Master Cylinders must be as supplied by the factory, except that early production cars may
update to tandem master cylinder for the safety of the dual circuit system. Adjustable brake bias
may not be added to cars not originally equipped with it.

Wheels are allowed the extra 1"
E. One inch wider than originally supplied wheel and any tire combination which fits inside the stock
body without rubbing and without modification exceeding “rolling” or “grinding” of the outer
fender lip is allowed.

My '76 Carrera came w/ optional 7&8x15

Lefty's Deceiver 08-21-2003 02:27 PM

Thanks Bill for the clarification. If your car had optional 7" on the front then I should be allowed 8". Right? Do you know if the 7&8 came in 16" a that time as an option?

Bill Verburg 08-21-2003 02:40 PM

At that time the available 16" 911 option was 6&7, 930 was 7&8. It is my understanding that they will allow 8&9x16 if 7&8x15 were options

But i've been wrong before and most if not all of the early Carreras seem to be on 15s

I don't know if the 7&8 option was available in '74. In '76 when I bought my car 50 series tires were available in Europe as an option on the C3. As far as I know that was the first year for them on 911, I think that 930 had them in '75.

UberScheitzer 08-26-2003 05:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally posted by Aroq
Thanks for all of the information! I too own a '74 911. While it's not a Carrera, or even an S, it is still a blast to drive. The reason why I asked this question was to see how hard it would be to get my 911 to Carrera spec's or atleast more Hp. I am the third owner of this car, and the first male owner.
Eric,
I just purchased a 74 911 which has been converted into almost full carerra/s specs. I live in San Diego. If you want to check mine out, let me know. It might help you decide what you want to do and how to do it. I want to see those Porsche service manuals some time to see if I want to purchase them.

I also plan on trying to get a SoCal 911 meet together soon if your interested.

Drop me a line.

-Jason