Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Hasanyone replaced this part before on their window assembly?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 02:48 PM
tone40
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Hasanyone replaced this part before on their window assembly?

http://s1284.photobucket.com/user/to...0lifter%20rail

A few weeks ago, I lowered my passenger side window. Instead of the usual smooth operation, it made a crunching sound. I was able to raise the window, but I had to lower by hand (after attempting to lower via switch). I stopped using the window.

Yesterday I accessed the window assembly and found that the window lifter rail (page 234, item 23 of Parts Catalog) was heavily corroded. I was able to easily remove the rail off the window seal and off the guide wheels. Then out of the door opening. Probably easy because of the heavy corrosion.

I ordered a replacement from Parts Heaven. I should get it in a few days.

The questions I have are: Will I be able to install the rail onto the bottom of the window & seal without removing the window? The connection to the window seal appears to be a friction fit. So, I assume that the assembly is first onto the guide wheels, then raise window regulator slowly until the rail clicks/slips onto the window seal. Will it be that simple?

Thanks.
Old 09-11-2014, 11:34 AM
tone40
Racer

Default In case any one is interested in the results....

I got the replacement part from Parts Heaven. Cleaned it up and painted the parts of the channel that get exposed to standing water.

Placed the lifter rail on the guide wheels then operated the window until it contacted the window seal. Placed the window seal into the lifter top channel as much as possible by hand (about 1/16" of about 3/8" needed). Operated window again up to the limit of the window frame.

Then I gently tapped the bottom of the lifter rail using a small wooden pole. And voila! I got the majority of the seal into the rail. Lowered the window to get access to the rest of the rail and tap, tap. Lubed the guide wheels. Ready for door card re-installation.

Easy job. I was told that the window frame needed removal for access.

I was surprised by the level of corrosion to the lifter rail part. 26 years of occasional water exposure onto what appears to be a coated steel part (Zinc? Not stainless).
Old 09-11-2014, 11:44 AM
tone40
Racer

Default Post install pics also added.

Tony

Quick Reply: Hasanyone replaced this part before on their window assembly?