Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   911 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/911-forum-56/)
-   -   Pacific NW 911 (https://rennlist.com/forums/911-forum/828245-pacific-nw-911-a.html)

Gas Passer 08-08-2014 01:25 AM

Pacific NW 911

Hello PNW! I am fairly new to the Seattle area and am looking to get back into a 911. I made the mistake of selling my '07 C2S before leaving NC in Dec '12, live and learn. I was advised by many of you not to sell, but thought it was fine to keep the Cayenne S. My wife and I can walk to work and really don't need a car. But my heart and soul missed my 911. Got the blessing from wife to sell/trade her '09 Cayenne S and get back into a 911. She is excited as well. We drove a '90 C2 Cab at Park Place LTD last weekend and she really liked the air-cooled 911 experience. I am not really a cab guy, prefer a coupe maybe swayed by a targa.

I have decided to enter the air-cooled world. I originally wanted a 993, but was talked out of buying old school because of the need for great AC in NC (hot and humid). I am looking for a weekend car to make trip for hikes and weekend getaways to explore the great PNW, probably no more than 300-500 miles away. May want to make a run to central Cali though. Am open to an SC all the way up to a 993. My budget is flexible, am not looking for a collector car. I want to enjoy the car and drive it. Mechanically sound is what matters. A ding here or there will not be a deal breaker.

Would love any recommendations on local cars. Was very close to buying a rennlisters '95 993 C4 in SLC. I walk past Aker's everyday to get my fix on the way to work. I am looking at a couple local cars this weekend. Don't need to rush, but would love to get one before winter settles in if I did not buy local and need to drive over any mountain passes.

Cheers!
Gas Passer

Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems 08-08-2014 02:54 AM

Gas Passer,

No matter what you decide on, be sure to have a thorough PPI done beforehand so you get a good example without any surprises.

Don't overlook John Walker's Workshop in Greenwood as he's VERY good on air-cooled cars.

theiceman 08-08-2014 09:45 AM

From your description sounds like a 3.2 Carrera or a 993 would be perfect for you. im not a fan of the 964 really. Ed should be able to give you some guidance as he has experience with both.

Gas Passer 08-08-2014 11:44 AM

A comprehensive ppi is #1 on my list. A leak down and compression test is essential. I know there maybe minor things I need to do on a 20 plus year old car but I really don't want to buy a car and need to drop 10K unless the price reflects such an expense. Steve, I was actually go in to by JW today and say hello and see if they knew of any cars for sale or a possible sale.

One question for you guys, I am looking at a '81 SC targa that has been sitting in storage and every 2 weeks driven 3 miles.

I quote the owner below,
"My Porsche has been at friend's home in storage and driven only 2-3 miles every two weeks since Sep 2010 when I moved. He drives it out of his garage and lets it idle in his driveway every two weeks until the oil is hot and circulating on the cylinder walls. Because of the low driving mileage, It has not required servicing since 2010. I have used Redmond European, Chris’s German Auto, and Bellevue Porsche for maintenance. I will start to gather the maintenance records, which may take a while."

This kinda worries me! Seems like a well sorted car. he is the second owner (since late 80's) and states he has all the records. He is a PCA guy and added this....I used Hagerty.com to establish the sale price (http://www.hagerty.com/valuationtool...port?vc=855560). Hagerty has established four vehicle conditions (Cond 1, 2, 3, and 4). After the extensive restoration work detailed on my web site and discussions with several Phoenix Porsche club members and my Phoenix Porsche mechanic, my Targa fits the following Hagerty Condition #2:

“#2 cars could win a local or regional show. They can be former #1 cars that have been driven or have aged. Seasoned observers will have to look closely for flaws, but will be able to find some not seen by the general public. The paint, chrome, glass and interior will all appear as excellent. No excessive smoke will be seen on startup, no unusual noises will emanate from the engine compartment. The vehicle will drive as a new car of its era would. The one word description for #2 cars is "excellent."

I will enjoy the hunt. I really want to get a great car and keep for a while. I saw a 70's targa on craigslist with 401k miles! WOW! I know there has been expenses, but that is a testament on build quality.

Cheers!
Gas Passer

JCP911S 08-08-2014 05:39 PM

A well maintained SC/Carrara should be a very reliable car, tons of buying info on this site.

Two issues relative to more modern (e.g. 964 and 993) cars.

First is the A/C is feeble, the heat is slow (air-cooled), and the defrost is weak, but this should not be a huge issue in PNW.

Second is that Targas are notorious leakers. In a rainy climate, I'd recommend a coupe.

SC/Carrara are great weekend cars. I used by 84 3.2 as a daily driver for about 10 years, but I'm pretty hardcore. If you plan to use it for DD duty or long-distance trips, the later cars may be more comfortable, and still really nice to drive.

Cajun 08-09-2014 01:28 AM

Gas Passer,

Welcome to the PNW. I moved up here about a year ago from NOLA.

I have a SC, Carrera, and 930. Frankly, the only one I have driven around up here is the SC. The heat works fine in this climate. There seem to be some great air cooled cars running around up here. Take your time and enjoy the hunt. The right car is out there. Unfortunately, with the current state of the market for these cars, when you see the car you want, be prepared to act fast.

Hopefully our paths will cross sometime.

Reddy Kilowatt 08-09-2014 09:47 AM

I'm not sure why anyone would talk you out of a 993 because of AC needs. The AC is fine in those cars, though as noted above, it's pretty weak in the SC/Carrera cars. Find a way to drive one of each of the 3: SC, Carrera, 993. (964 if you must. :)) They're pretty different, and I think you'll know what you want pretty quickly. Decide what your must-haves are, search daily w/ Autotrader & Searchtempest, and be ready with cash in hand.