Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Favorite 3.2 exhaust for sound - what's yours?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 05:33 PM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Received 972 Likes on 634 Posts
Default Favorite 3.2 exhaust for sound - what's yours?

I'm about to pull the current Fabspeed exhaust on my car (euro premuffler and Maxflo single outlet - will be for sale) and replace it with an M&K premuffler and muffler bypass. Just in case it turns out to be too loud for a frequent driver, I might have to look into the available lighter and least restrictive options out there. I'm currently running 200 cell cats and Fister IIIs on my 993 and love the sound. Any thoughts on the best sound out there, just shy of the muffler bypass option? If you like what you have, let me know your set up. Thanks.
Old 06-03-2014, 06:10 PM
upier
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I predict that you will get tons of suggestions on exhausts. The different people will defend their choices until it gets out of hand.And finally someone will take the post off topic. Sorry before that you will be told to do a search since this topic has been discussed many times before. So sit back and enjoy.

I am currently installing a B&B system. Headers (with heat) and a 2 in 2 out muffler. I am also installing a CC insert into one of the outlets to lessen done. I will let you know how it sounds. Most likely you will be able to open a window and hear it for yourself.
Old 06-03-2014, 09:07 PM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

don't worry, i've been on boards long enough to know the search rule and how things can get out of hand on a subjective topic. for now, i'm interested in what people like from the current offerings - if they choose to give me their impression. make sure you post back and let me know what you think of your B&B headers/muffler. my first step will definitely be the M&K pre-muffler and bypass. i'll report back as well, assuming this thread is still alive and not on page 11.
Old 06-03-2014, 09:38 PM
upier
Racer

I do have a Dansk 2 in single out muffler with few miles that I'm selling. Let me know if you are interested.

Attachment 840402

Attachment 840403

Last edited by upier; 06-23-2014 at 08:00 PM.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:40 AM
Hunt3R
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't do the muffler bypass, the closest thing that actually sounds good and is slightly more muffled is Fabspeed's supercup muffler for 3.2's. I had it on my 86 with a Dansk euro premuffler and IMO the sound was amazing. It's really not so much a muffler as just straight pipes with a u bend and a couple resonator chambers. So it's sorta like a "muffled muffler bypass". Combined with the premuffler it was manageable to keep it quiet enough when driving thru my neighborhood or in traffic around town I would just shift early, but if I gave it some gas holy crap could it scream. Sounded very hot rod-ish but it would definitely be too loud of a combo for most people. Although I got nothing but compliments on how it sounded, especially after hearing me floor it.
Old 06-04-2014, 10:42 AM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

man, cat delete and muffler bypass... thats gonna be loud, drive around the neighborhood with no cats and muffler...if you like it, then pull the trigger. You will loose torque though...
Old 06-04-2014, 12:34 PM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

i plan to pull the muffler and get a feel for the sound level this weekend, if possible. i'm currently running the fabspeed pre-muffler, which isn't a plain cat-delete, but i know it will still be on the loud side. if that seems obnoxious, i'll probably opt for fabspeed's 3.2 supercup. it took 4 cat/muffler set ups to get the sound right on my 997.1S, but the 200 cells and fister IIIs were perfect on my 993 straight away. i'm always looking for a specific sound and sometimes it takes a bit to find it. not many 3.2s running around Dallas to compare to. i listened to a vid this morning of a dual-outlet dansk and it sounded awfully good, but video sound quality can be very misleading.

Trending Topics

Old 06-04-2014, 01:30 PM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by upier
I do have a Dansk 2 in single out muffler with few miles that I'm selling. Let me know if you are interested.
from what i've heard the single outlet is quieter than i'm interested in. as mentioned, i did listen to a video of the dual outlet dansk and it sounded quite good.

go to 4:25 point in this video for dual-outlet dansk:

pre-muffler and Fabspeed Supercup muffler. sounds quite good in this clip:

this video makes the muffler bypass seem quite tolerable. again have to question video quality:
Old 06-05-2014, 05:21 PM
chuck v
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 3.2 exhaust

my 87 911 ssi, bypass, 2 in 1 out M&K, sound great. Prev had B&B and it just wore out after years of use.

chuck
Old 06-05-2014, 09:33 PM
TT Oversteer
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

I have two set ups for my 3.2:

1) cat bypass & M&K single in/single out. Like it, not loud but sounds great

2) currently running George's headers with M&K dual in/dual out GT3 muffler. Love it! Sounds deeper and louder at idle then wails at higher rpms. Very tolerable at freeway speeds and rpms. I would say its loud but not "ticket me/scare old ladies & children/set off car alarms" loud. Definitely a full order of magnitude less obnoxious than most Harley's out there.

All M & K stuff I've seen is top quality with gorgeous welds & very lightweight. Although not the most free flowing I've heard.
Old 06-06-2014, 12:30 AM
JonSnow83
Instructor

I'm running SSI>cat bypass>M&K 2 out and love it. Meanest sounding car in town and way better than the 993. Mine is a ROW car.

I do think the 2 out is key to M&K. Had it 1 out before and it didn't cut the mustard.
Old 06-06-2014, 12:48 PM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JonSnow83
I'm running SSI>cat bypass>M&K 2 out and love it. Meanest sounding car in town and way better than the 993. Mine is a ROW car.

I do think the 2 out is key to M&K. Had it 1 out before and it didn't cut the mustard.
i agree with you as it seems to make quite a difference on the dansk mufflers also - to me the 2-out sounds throatier and much better.

i've spoken with Brian at rarlyl8 motorsports and he has a 'motorsport' version of his single in/out that he says will be the sound i'm looking for. might pull the trigger on this one.
Old 06-06-2014, 12:50 PM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TT Oversteer
I have two set ups for my 3.2:

1) cat bypass & M&K single in/single out. Like it, not loud but sounds great

2) currently running George's headers with M&K dual in/dual out GT3 muffler. Love it! Sounds deeper and louder at idle then wails at higher rpms. Very tolerable at freeway speeds and rpms. I would say its loud but not "ticket me/scare old ladies & children/set off car alarms" loud. Definitely a full order of magnitude less obnoxious than most Harley's out there.

All M & K stuff I've seen is top quality with gorgeous welds & very lightweight. Although not the most free flowing I've heard.
i'd love to be able to hear your dual in/out system firsthand. any plans to visit Dallas - with the car??
Old 06-06-2014, 06:34 PM
JonSnow83
Instructor

My M&K sounds more like the bypass than the dansk in the first video up there. I'll try and record it this weekend.
Old 06-06-2014, 08:52 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

here is my M&K single in GT3 exhaust with baffles... the baffles open up at 3k RPM. It's still loud with the targa... but I do love the low rumble on idle. Also, with high flow exhaust, you will loose low end torque. Adding the baffles brought the lo/mid torque back...

Quick Reply: Favorite 3.2 exhaust for sound - what's yours?