Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Porsche Cell phone holder

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 04:42 PM
John Rygg
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Porsche Cell phone holder

Hello Rennlisters, I have a 964 and am looking for some information on an older sibling.

I have taken up a new hobby. I ventured out on Kickstarter and purchased a 3D printer.

It is amazing and addictive (almost as much as a PCar) . I am an IT guy with a Degree in electronic engineering so I like to make things. But I would like some help from you so that I can tie my love of Porsches and 3D printing together.

I have developed some phone holders specifically for the Porsche. I love gadgets and I use my phone in my vehicles for navigation, music ..etc. but I hate those one holder fits all holders with Velcro and suction cups that never stay and then you have to plug in your power cord …. So I decided to design a phone holder specific to the car and to the phone. I have several phones that I have designs for : Samsung Galaxy S4 , IPhone 4 & 5s and the Droid bionic. I have 4 holders for these, 2 for the Porsche , 1 for my wife’s Audi A4 and a tape cassette mount for my Toyota sequoia which is more of a universal fit. I can design for different phones as they are requested.

What I need help with is some information on the Ashtray of the pre 1989 911's. Does anyone know if they are the same as the ashtrays in the 964s & 993s ?

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...ree-stuff.html
Pictures are below ,
The first one is my Ashtray holder. It can be used with a usb power cord attached or without.
The second one is my cigarette lighter holder. It has a built in USB power source that charges the phone and holds it in place.

Thank you for your help.

Ashtray version

Cigarette Lighter version

Universal Cassette Mount

Audi A4 Ashtray Mount
Old 04-21-2014, 01:08 PM
HorstP
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post

John,

Here is some first guidance how the ashtray looks like. Ignore the position of the two switches below it, that is not stock, they are normally in the center console (which I deleted).

Last edited by HorstP; 04-27-2014 at 03:18 PM.
Old 04-21-2014, 05:32 PM
parkerfe
Burning Brakes

Received 237 Likes on 142 Posts

Why not just use Bluetooth and keep your phone in your pocket?
Old 04-22-2014, 01:33 AM
kjchristopher
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by parkerfe
Why not just use Bluetooth and keep your phone in your pocket?
Hard to see the navigation screen that way.
The following users liked this post:
Sam Bean (11-08-2023)
Old 02-15-2015, 06:18 PM
Marc1
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys,

I bought an ashtray mount from John for my 993. Just wanted to say how happy I am with it. Keep in mind it is a 3D printed item so it doesn't have the polish of an industrially manufactured mount but it certainly gets the job done. And I doubt there is a manufacturer out there will have a mount that integrates as neatly into my 993 dash. Best of all, it can be quickly removed when you don't need it.

John was very patient and generous with his time. If you are considering a mount, I highly recommend checking this out.

Picture attached for reference.

Ashtray mount for iPhone 6
Old 02-15-2015, 07:40 PM
John Rygg
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks Marc !!
Great working with you.

John

Originally Posted by Marc1
Hey guys,

I bought an ashtray mount from John for my 993. Just wanted to say how happy I am with it. Keep in mind it is a 3D printed item so it doesn't have the polish of an industrially manufactured mount but it certainly gets the job done. And I doubt there is a manufacturer out there will have a mount that integrates as neatly into my 993 dash. Best of all, it can be quickly removed when you don't need it.

John was very patient and generous with his time. If you are considering a mount, I highly recommend checking this out.

Picture attached for reference.

Ashtray mount for iPhone 6
Old 03-30-2019, 10:06 PM
ferik
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

@John Rygg did you ever design a solution for the G body 911?

Quick Reply: Porsche Cell phone holder