Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

General Question – what to do with an old Porsche 911

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 10:05 AM
sportkaefer
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default General Question – what to do with an old Porsche 911

I am new to the forum so sorry for any questions that may be a repeat of other treads.

Here is the story: I bought a white 1980 Euro 911 it has only two mods that the previous user did: one is the whale tail and the other is a front spoiler. The car has 96000 km (German car) and was buried under boxes for last 21 years. Engine had the important upgrades and is leaking (naturally) . The exhaust heat exchangers are rusted but the rest of the car has no rust what so ever and the previous owner can’t find the keys (I am going to try to get replacement keys from Porsche with the vin-number and proof of ownership).

Here is the 20,000 Dollars question that I struggle with:
- Should I rebuild the car to its original condition or should I “hot rod” it?

My other Porsche is a 2004 Carrera 4S convertible that I love and drive. I would say I am mechanically good enough to work on the engine and everything else but I am totally not capable to perform any bodywork other then replace stuff with new ;-)

I am posting it here to get some constructive ideas because I am stuck between both options.

Thanks for all help I can get.
Attached Images   

Last edited by sportkaefer; 04-08-2014 at 11:35 AM.
Old 04-07-2014, 10:22 AM
aratapuss
Instructor

Since you have a nice 2004, why not continue the "hot rod" them on this one. Not the look I care for, with the front and rear add on's, but a retro-rod would be amusing and entertaining, and a nice change from the stocker.
Old 04-07-2014, 10:26 AM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

If it was me... I first give it a good wash and polish/wax... clean the interior, etc. Then I would make sure to address all mechanical issues first: Engine, transmission, suspension, brakes, etc. Get it running perfectly.

That rear spoiler is beautiful...do not let that go. Not a fan of the front spoiler...

After that, just enjoy it as is until you decide what you want to do with it. But these cars are starting to come up in value.

The only change I would do is to take the front spoiler back to stock, but with the correct spoiler lip to match the rear wing... Car would look so much better with just that change, imho of course...
Old 04-07-2014, 12:14 PM
oscarfors
Rennlist Member

While these cars likely has their time yet to come (at least in value), there are quite a few of them around. And while we all love our old 911:s and think they are special, you may want to ask yourself if your car really is. If you, like I did, end up thinking that "it's nice but not that special" I would second the previous posters and say fix mechanicals and do no further harm.

Decision support model:
1. Is car outstanding and a candidate for concours if perfectly restored? If so, restore.
if not, then
2. Is car in bad shape where a lot of work is needed for it to be acceptable? If so, hot rod.
if not, then
3. Is car in pretty good shape but with some mechanical needs? Fix mechanics to get nice daily driver.

These cars are indeed in the $20k range by now, but putting another $20k into it for option (1.) will not produce a $40k car... In a few years that may by all means change, which is why your dilay driver will be both great joy and an investment.

IMHO.
Old 04-07-2014, 10:40 PM
Hunt3R
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That C3 tail is pretty sweet but if you're going to put it back to stock then the tail would have to go too. If you ever want to sell it then you'll probably be better off sticking to stock. I'd keep that C3 tail and just hot rod the hell out of it and make it look the way you want it to look. If it's sat for 21yrs you're prolly gonna have a lot of work to do.
Old 04-07-2014, 11:26 PM
sportkaefer
8th Gear

Thanks for the comments. Like I said I have a 2004 4s that is my daily summer driver and the "old" 911 is a real "barn find".

I thought I like the front spoiler but after all the comments and me taking a second look in the garage ;-) I agree that it has to go. Still not sure about the WT.

I think I will “fix” it first and drive it as much as I can.

Here is my tentative plan for next few weeks:

- Replace oil twice to flush the engine.
- Replace the fuel filter and battery
- Fix the brakes??? Not sure how much I will have to go beyond replacing the brake fluid.
- Interior needs some work and of course I need the keys.
- Run the engine - listen and watch ……?
- Like I said there is no rust other then exhaust. (Pelican Parts will love me)
Old 04-08-2014, 12:08 AM
porsche2fst4u
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's a beautiful Porsche as-is.. Just get her running and enjoy the air-cooled experience. Let me know if you ever want to get rid of those Fuchs. I want to replace mine with the originals.
Attached Images  
Old 04-08-2014, 09:49 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Find a Clubsport valance and send the thing, whatever it is hanging off the front of your otherwise awesome C3.0, and hot rod the crap out of it. I enjoy every second with my hot rod. It was extremely liberating to show up this last weekend at a PCA track event and have grown men in stuffy shirts fawn over my RS'd cabriolet when they should have turned up their nose and ignored it. DO IT.

.....but if it by chance it is doomed and destine to be restored to stock, kiss the money and the good times goodbye.
Old 04-08-2014, 10:47 AM
sportkaefer
8th Gear

When I was younger I didn't like Porsche 911 at all and now I have 2+ and love the looks - funny how it changes.

I will concentrate on the mechanics first - the nice part is I can always swing to "hot rod" approach later.

I will keep you posted ;-)
Old 04-08-2014, 11:19 AM
sportkaefer
8th Gear

not sure what to do with the seats and the rest of the interior. I liked the checkered pattern first but might be difficult to repair. option would be a leather Seat Upholstery Kit.
Attached Images  

Last edited by sportkaefer; 04-08-2014 at 11:36 AM.
Old 04-08-2014, 12:49 PM
Reiver
Drifting

Received 114 Likes on 76 Posts

Pascha print...period cool
You can find new cloth in that pattern....it's being made today.
Old 04-08-2014, 02:40 PM
oscarfors
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Reiver
Pascha print...period cool
You can find new cloth in that pattern....it's being made today.
Still uber cool. Belongs there regardless of restore or hot rod!
Old 04-08-2014, 05:19 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Love the Pascha.

I took a similar approach and focused my efforts on restoration the first several years. I did bearings, pads, rotors and brake lines, fuel lines, shocks and strut inserts, bushings, axles, oil cooler, and electronic control components.

That gave me confidence to attack some of the RS and backdate mods I wanted. Needless to say, there is a lot more fun to be had once you free yourself from the notion that it has to be factory original. It is your car and your blank canvas.

When I open the shed door, throw back the blanket, pop the driver's door and the smell of fresh leather hits me it is intoxicating and takes me back to the 80's in just a single heartbeat.
Attached Images  
Old 04-08-2014, 06:01 PM
sportkaefer
8th Gear

amber lamps - Beautiful car - well all of your cars are beautiful - it is a hobby for me - most of the time I work with computer systems so it is also a mental vacation to work on a car. What is nice about doing all mechanical fixes first is that it doesn't mean that i can't go back and restore it - as long as i don't cut and weld I should have both options open. Everything that is or will be bolted on can be "unbolted" - there are definitely things that I will have to upgrade - like exhaust, etc.
Old 04-08-2014, 06:31 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Thank you...

My original deck lid, tail lights, head lights, door cards, rear bumper, front and rear valance, rocker panels, steering wheel, clock, back seats, heat blowers and A/C cores, and the like are all packed away and ready to go back on if needs be.

Quick Reply: General Question – what to do with an old Porsche 911