Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Buying a 1986 911 Carrera Targa, help with Serial Numbers!

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 10:42 PM
Cheekybird
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Buying a 1986 911 Carrera Targa, help with Serial Numbers!

Hello - I am purchasing a 1986 911 G Carrera Targa and I am curious where the engine id number, frame number, wheels etc. are located (I heard many components are stamped)? Perhaps you have a link to an article where this info is located. I had a PPI performed and all is good but not sure they checked these numbers. Does the motors' serial number match the serial number in the Vin number?

Thanks in advance for your help. Here is a teaser. I will post more if the deal goes through.
Attached Images  
Old 03-04-2014, 12:42 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

The engine number will not match the VIN. The engine and transmission can be verified as original to the car by checking the car's Certificate of Authenticity (if the seller has one) issued by Porsche for a $100 fee. Regarding the VIN, the second group of three digits, for USA models, will say "ZZZ" on the VIN that's stamped into the floor of the front trunk compartment just behind the back, passenger side, corner of the gas tank. The VIN on the left door post, and on the "A" pillar plate, will not agree with the ZZZ, but should match each other.

Quick Reply: Buying a 1986 911 Carrera Targa, help with Serial Numbers!