911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Just about finished with the refresh...

Old 11-04-2013, 04:16 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Just about finished with the refresh...

after 2.5 years of rebuild, I went for a first real run with some 911 guys yesterday (mostly 993s' and 997s' and Turbos)... everyone huddled around the Targa and got a kick looking at old school hardware... it really is cool seeing how the more "modern" car came to be. But, the car ran flawless... very happy with how it feels, performance and looks. How did it keep up with the "newer cars"? No issue whatsoever as we were in the twisties the majority of the time (though on the straights it was no slack either). The car felt like it was in its elements. Lifting on corners is more pronounced with this car, the watercooled cars is way more forgiving in this matter. I love the manual steering feel, the 915 with a short shift is work though, maybe the regular shifter is the way to go. Driving with the top off is priceless... the noise, the wind, the feel of the steering and shifting the 915 def forces you to pay attention to what your are doing... hence, teaches you to be a better driver... heres some pics to the rebirth of a Targa.

when I got her… she was a bit rough on the edges, very sloppy on corners and all the seals were dry.

engine ran good and was rebuilt with new P&C by a reputable shop 20k miles ago… but again looks rough.

suspension looks original (but its shot), it has 130k on the chassis…

rebuilt the calipers…

new front and reared Bilsteins, elephant racing bushings, sway away torsion bars…

new oil lines, thermostat and heat exchanger. Neal seals for oil leak.

AC system delete, valve adjusted and freshened up the engine..

stripping her for paint…

did some body work… welded broken door check and rust issues along the pillars..

off to the paint shop..

Primers

finally, paint and ready for polishing.

back together again.. almost

Old 11-04-2013, 05:25 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Well done!
Old 11-04-2013, 05:31 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

Very nice! Did you have the seats done too?

This definitely sells me on the ducktail!
Old 11-04-2013, 06:21 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Very cool seeing you go to the ducktail. My question is how many hours were spent prepping the tail for paint?

I've got a ducktail ready for paint that seems to have taken me longer than most every other area of the car. Matching the trailing edge to the curve of the center reflector curve has been a nightmare. Just curious if you had any issues there.
Old 11-04-2013, 10:13 PM
GT9111
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Excellent classic! Good effort in refreshing the car!
Old 11-05-2013, 04:09 PM
Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 35 Posts

Seriously nice work, and I'm sure many countless hours of thinking, ordering, rethinking, installing, cleaning, setting - - all the stuff that can't make it to photos. I feel your pain... but gain also.

I may have missed earlier discussions, but why the chrome headlight rings with H4's? Considering updating my old sealed beams, looking at options.

Congrats on getting it done. Looks fabulous!
Old 11-05-2013, 04:13 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 3.2 Targa
Very nice! Did you have the seats done too?

This definitely sells me on the ducktail!
The seats were already re-upholstered when I got her, that was a plus.

Originally Posted by amber lamps
Very cool seeing you go to the ducktail. My question is how many hours were spent prepping the tail for paint?

I've got a ducktail ready for paint that seems to have taken me longer than most every other area of the car. Matching the trailing edge to the curve of the center reflector curve has been a nightmare. Just curious if you had any issues there.

I bought a getty, my sample was in great shape out of the box. I had to fill in some ruts, but nothing big really. The key with me was getting the right spacers on the hinges. Once it was properly lined up, the tail fit like a glove.
Old 11-05-2013, 04:27 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Adams
Seriously nice work, and I'm sure many countless hours of thinking, ordering, rethinking, installing, cleaning, setting - - all the stuff that can't make it to photos. I feel your pain... but gain also.

I may have missed earlier discussions, but why the chrome headlight rings with H4's? Considering updating my old sealed beams, looking at options.

Congrats on getting it done. Looks fabulous!
Im glad you know where me and "others" have been... But let me tell you that what Ive done is nothing compared to some of these hard core guys. Mines was in stay puff condition out of the bat compared to some guys bringing in an old rusted tub that is hardly recongnizeable.... in this case, I give them so much credit, in another thank god I have more sense.

The headlights sort of fell on my lap, they are H1's not H4's. I also went with chrome headlights because I wanted to put a SS Targa bar. The wheels headlights and exhaust tip are also chrome (polished). For now I have the black Targa bar just to feel it out... but now Im thinking the SS bar will look better. What do you think, SS or Black bar?

Just to complicate things I bought this as well... now I know how my wife feels when she's buying shoes. I should create another thread and start a poll for all the targa bar and wheels combo. Im thinking the SS bar with the star fuchs.

Old 11-06-2013, 08:39 PM
Tom 97 C2-S, So. Cal.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Excellent work. Thanks for sharing pre/during/post pics.

My vote is for a Black look as it's more muted and less distracting than chrome.

Have you considered the brushed/RSR look? Seems that would be a closer matched look for a SS hoop.

Whatever you decide, great restoration and I don't think there is a bad choice to be made.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:59 AM
racngrn
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

Redridge, really nice car and the Targas are awesome cars ( I'm admittedly biased). Question for you. I notice you used a UHaul trailer to move the car. I am moving mine tomorrow using the same trailer and wonder if you found enough clearance for the front spoiler or even undercarriage ? Do I need to use some 2 by 10s to reduce ramp angle and sit the car higher on the trailer? I appreciate the help/advice. I have a factory spoiler on the car ( 1984). Steve
Old 11-07-2013, 11:34 AM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Tom 97 C2-S, So. Cal.
Excellent work. Thanks for sharing pre/during/post pics.

My vote is for a Black look as it's more muted and less distracting than chrome.

Have you considered the brushed/RSR look? Seems that would be a closer matched look for a SS hoop.

Whatever you decide, great restoration and I don't think there is a bad choice to be made.
Ive considered the RSR look on the wheels, Ive seen guys used scotch brite and they do the trick... I can always do that down the road when I can stomach it. Thanks for the compliments.

Originally Posted by racngrn
Redridge, really nice car and the Targas are awesome cars ( I'm admittedly biased). Question for you. I notice you used a UHaul trailer to move the car. I am moving mine tomorrow using the same trailer and wonder if you found enough clearance for the front spoiler or even undercarriage ? Do I need to use some 2 by 10s to reduce ramp angle and sit the car higher on the trailer? I appreciate the help/advice. I have a factory spoiler on the car ( 1984). Steve
When the car rolled off the ramp it was fine, the trailer is fairly flat... this was stock ride height. No issues coming off the ramps. Not sure how it will do with lowered suspension though. Here's a vid coming off the ramp.

Edit" I do have to say that the targa was coming off the ramp at an incline road which helped the departure angle. On a flat road when putting the car on the ramp, it was still enough clearance for the spoiler.

http://s169.photobucket.com/user/red...78bf2.mp4.html

Last edited by redridge; 11-07-2013 at 11:50 AM.
Old 11-07-2013, 12:32 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Ferdinand, this one is awesome: http://s169.photobucket.com/user/red..._1206.jpg.html

Old 11-07-2013, 01:33 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

hahaha... yeah, good stuff. One of the reasons why it took so long to refresh... but Im so glad they were a part of it. Feel very privileged to work on these cars...
Old 11-07-2013, 03:04 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

I'm very envious of you in that regard. My son's both suffer from ADD and can't remember more than one instruction at a time. If I need a ratchet and a socket I have to ask for them individually. Makes for frustrating times together. My daughters, on the other hand, won't leave me alone when I'm wrenching.
Old 11-07-2013, 06:04 PM
bhmkv
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice work

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Just about finished with the refresh...