Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   911 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/911-forum-56/)
-   -   Installing a new bumper guard on 86 911 (https://rennlist.com/forums/911-forum/771293-installing-a-new-bumper-guard-on-86-911-a.html)

Art Caputo 08-14-2013 10:28 AM

Installing a new bumper guard on 86 911

I have a 1986 911 that has surface cracks on the passenger side rear rubber bumper guard. i want to address this by either trying to repair the cracks or purchasing a new one and replacing it. Any experiences with this? If I buy a new one does the rear bumper assemble have to be removed. How difficult a project is this? Thanks for any feedback!

Amber Gramps 08-14-2013 10:51 AM

Welcome to Rennlist. :cheers:

It isn't that difficult. The bumper does need to come off. There are impact shocks on either side that have two brackets that come off and a single bolt on the end of the shocks. Get a helper and lay a blanket on the ground and it will be off in short order. There is the licence plate light wire to deal with that's about it. It's not going to be cheap.

theiceman 08-14-2013 12:08 PM

hey Guys

I did not take my bumper off when i did mine . ( If you are talking about the big ass parachutte thing on the back )

I seem to remember loosing the muffler clamps, but not sure , i may have taken the muffler right off.

Amber Gramps 08-14-2013 12:28 PM

Well I am a monkey's uncle. :banghead:

theiceman 08-14-2013 12:33 PM

Doug in hind sight your method might be better .. a little more akward but with my method you will probably need new muffler bolts and a gasket.

BTW not to hijack .. anybody have any success painting the stock muffler ? or will it peel right off..

Peter Zimmermann 08-14-2013 12:58 PM

1. Remove the license plate light lens
2. Remove the license plate light; disconnect the two wires
3. Go under back of car (safely support it on jack stands), and use a small 3/8" drive ratchet and 13mm socket to remove three nuts that hold the bumper guard; if there is a tin heat shield in the way, remove it
4. Pull license light wires out, remove old guard and polish paint
5. INSTALL TIP! When tightening the nuts on the new guard go lightly! If you overtighten them you can create indents in the face of the guard; I have seen this many times following body shop/paint work. The nuts are the locking type, so there is no need to crank them down.

theiceman 08-14-2013 01:53 PM

5. INSTALL TIP! When tightening the nuts on the new guard go lightly! If you overtighten them you can create indents in the face of the guard; I have seen this many times following body shop/paint work. The nuts are the locking type, so there is no need to crank them down.

oh so THATS what that is :(

Art Caputo 08-14-2013 02:20 PM

Thanks everyone.....this is very helpful!

Peter Zimmermann 08-14-2013 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by theiceman (Post 10684608)

oh so THATS what that is :(

Don't be sad, ice! Even my car, from many years before I bought it, had the same thing done, and has small dimples in one of the rear guards!

ron mcatee 08-14-2013 03:57 PM

The 84-89 Carrera's have enough space between the muffler and the rear valence to remove & replace the rear bumper pads. The SC's have less clearance and may require muffler removal.

Amber Gramps 08-14-2013 05:34 PM

Clive, mine has had Krylon BBQ paint for a couple years with zero problems. I will be swapping it out for an almost perfect one a fellow lister sold me for $50. :eek: It is date stamped '89, but looks like NOS

theiceman 08-14-2013 05:55 PM

do they date stamp mufflers ? i have on one my wall a guy sold me from a later SC , actually he gave it to me whan i bought the wrong exchangers from him ( ha ha ) . Think i will have it bead blasted and paint it ip . May as well since its sitiing there doing nothing ..

Did you primer it Doug or straight on ?

Peter Zimmermann 08-14-2013 06:18 PM

FWIW, you thread hijacker...I've used high temp paint, from Pep Boys, etc. on a large number of exhaust parts; have never used primer, just the top coat.

Peter Zimmermann 08-14-2013 06:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
...from previous post. This is the most recent...the 914s heat exchangers were really fugly!

theiceman 08-14-2013 08:28 PM

wow thats nice .. as you can see my muffler i might try that ..