Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

1986 911 Carrera Steering Clunk

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 02:43 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

There really is no definitive information for diagnosis. You need to delve into it.
Old 07-30-2013, 02:59 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

travels - As suggested above, you can easily upgrade to the Turbo tie rods which incorporate metal inboard ends which greatly improves steering control and sensitivity. We have the kit available now for review here: 911 Turbo Tie Rod Kit This is a great image of Turbo vs. standard:

Another potential issue may be the ball joints. This project should not take you more than 3 - 4 hours and once completed you'll most likely not have to deal with them again! Take a look at our install instructions here to get an idea what the project entails. For product information within our catalog, click here.

Fire over questions anytime!
Mark/Pelican Parts
888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 07-30-2013, 03:52 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can you grab the tie rod and move it while looking at the rod end for movement?
Old 07-30-2013, 10:44 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Travels, the rack and pinion does have replaceable bushings on either end and an adjustment screw. My guess is the bushings are warn on ether side of the rack. It's time to add that to your list.

this is page 400-4 of the Bently Manual.

Check this out:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...g-replace.html
Old 08-05-2013, 12:27 PM
travels68
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks everyone for the input.

Looks like turbo tie-rod upgrade is a no brainer and I'll check the Bently Manual as well to look at those bushings.

-Kale
Old 12-14-2013, 09:04 PM
travels68
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update - this issue almost definitely rack related

So I've replaced the front struts, ball joints, front sway bar bushings, installed the special steering column bushing (which helped), upgraded to turbo tie rods, and... still clunking when turning the steering wheel to the left. This happens at turn initiation (most prominently left turn) regardless of where the wheels are pointed at time (i.e. at straight head or if wheels are in some sort of random turn position (tested this in driveway).

The problem is almost definitely in the steering column/linkage into the steering rack. I've read some posts about a bolt on the top of the rack, that couples the column with the rack, coming loose and causing issues and even steering failure. This is my current best theory.

I vowed not to ever remove the front sway bar again (it was a huge pain to put back on the car) and am loath to remove the steering rack to fix this.

I'm hoping to get to the top of the rack through the smugglers box by removing the steering linkage in that area and attempting to get the boot off the rack and look down into the rack.... probably impossible but it won't take long to see what I can access.

Any tips or thoughts appreciated. Worst case, any tips on removing the rack without headaches caused by the front sway bar? I hate that bar.

-Kale

Quick Reply: 1986 911 Carrera Steering Clunk