Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Cruise Control Clutch Switch

Old 07-14-2013, 04:26 PM
Steam Driver
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cruise Control Clutch Switch

A few weeks ago when I pulled the toeboards to begin working towards replacing the tunnel fuel lines I found the cruise control switch at the clutch pedal wasn't being actuated. It was far from kaing contact with the pedal arm.

When I revisited this today I found that the cruise control switch, actually a repurposed brake light switch, was installed in such a way that there was no way it could work. (See the image attached; with the bracket installed in the set of holes it is in the picture the arm on the microswitch doesn't even overlap the clutch pedal arm.) This would essentially disable the cruise control. Besides the positioning, the arm on the switch was severely bent. So I installed a new switch and positioned the bracket in the other set of holes, where it is will work correctly. Or will it? Someone had to have done this on purpose for some reason or other. But if the objective was to disable the cruise control they sure picked a hard way to do it since you have to remove the center console and passenger mats and toeboard to access this switch! If the cruise control was malfunctioning a far easier way to do this would have been to simply disconnect the wiring harness at the cruise control box in the trunk! LOTS less work.

Nothing is coming easily on this car! And some of the things the P/O's mechanics did aren't rationally explainable.
Attached Images  
Old 07-14-2013, 11:38 PM
The Brewmeister
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Steam Driver
... And some of the things the P/O's mechanics did aren't rationally explainable.
That's what happens when mechanics that don't understand Porsches work on them. Thank goodness you found this car and are now putting it back to right.
Old 07-31-2013, 03:11 PM
Neal Keith
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is the same switch on my 75 911. I had to adjust after installing a new master cylinder. It's operation in not strait forward, but switch itself is adjustable.
Old 02-16-2023, 06:49 AM
TM___
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 18 Posts

An old topic, but I have a question about this microswitch.

Just went ahead and retrofitted the cruise control in my '84 Euro S 5sp. The connectors for this switch are bridged in my car, so I want to install the switch to prevent the throttle going fully open when depressing the clutch pedal while the CC is active.
The PET pictures aren't very informative, and the workshop manual suggests it is just a matter of installing the switch. Before ordering parts, I want to make sure I'll have everything I need.
Can anyone post a picture of the switch in place? Do I need extra brackets to install, or can I just order a switch and get it in?

Thanks!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cruise Control Clutch Switch