More mystery wires....

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 08:40 AM
SiberianDVM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default More mystery wires....

this time behind the rear bumper.

My car is a 1984 Carrera Targa. Yesterday, while removing the rear bumper to install another tow hook, I found 2 pairs of mystery wires, one pair on each side, zip tied to the bumper shock, not hooked up. Wires going to the license plate lights in the rubber bumpers are in their proper places.

The pair on the right side I think is my missing oil level sending unit wires, as 1 of the wires has a rubber "hat" and has about 9.5 volts differential when the engine is on. Wires look brown but they may be discolored. I hooked them to the oil level sending unit and it now reads "half" instead of "full" like it did before. Does that sound about right?

The pair on the left side remains a mystery. Wires are yellow and yellow-red. No voltage at any time. Could these be for a non-installed rear fog light?
Old 07-10-2013, 08:54 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,023 Likes on 728 Posts

Fog light for european models.

Of course the level sense for oil depends on all kinds of conditions. The fact its reading is good though.
Old 07-10-2013, 12:49 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Re: Oil level gauge should reflect your dipstick reading. Get car hot, front cooler open and hot to touch, and with car level and idling check your oil level using the dipstick. If the reading is halfway between "min" & "max" on the stick, your gauge should read about halfway through its sweep.

Re: Other harness. Turn your fog light switch **** clockwise, if it moves to a different position, check your unused wires for voltage (ignition and low beam headlights on). If the switch **** does not rotate, you have the ordinary USA switch and the rear fog light wires will not be active. This is just a guess, it's been many years since I worked on that circuit (changes may have been made to the switch operation, etc.).
Old 07-10-2013, 02:29 PM
SiberianDVM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OK, thanks for the confirmation. I'll tidy up the oil sender wires a bit before installing them and the fog light wires will just get zip tied up out of the way.

Quick Reply: More mystery wires....