Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   911 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/911-forum-56/)
-   -   New to me 1989 Targa (https://rennlist.com/forums/911-forum/759163-new-to-me-1989-targa.html)

ECS Tuning 11-25-2014 10:45 AM

^ That's what I would have thought also. The car looks great Michael :thumbup:

Ed Hughes 11-25-2014 11:21 AM

The Vaseline trick on Fuchs has been used for years by many to keep the black looking good. Not an issue.

JCBH 11-26-2014 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by Michael T (Post 11456434)
After a lot of research, I replaced the radio in my car. While I have the original Reno and amp under the passenger seat, I figured I would keep these for collector value and go with something in the 21st century for sound quality, card reader and telephone. I went to look at Kenwood, Sony, Alpine and Pioneer at a big box retailer, but either the faces looked too plastic or the quality of the buttons was lacking. Many had a series of advertising for XM or Pandora on the front. I finally settled on a Blaupunkt Toronto 440 BT. It has a card reader behind the face, a USB out the back (and front), and Bluetooth. It also has preamps out for another day. I ordered the remote microphone which I placed on the steering column. I ordered from Crutchfield and it was $160 delivered. I am very pleased with the sound quality and the audio on the phone.

Great thread! Just ordered the Toronto today for my '86. Thanks for the terrific suggestions and details.
Jeff

Michael T 12-09-2014 05:36 PM

I have had a very small tear in one of the seams of my driver's side seat cushion. In looking at the covers, they had been dyed at some point and this left the surface, while looking OK from a few feet, very dried and less than original.

I did a lot of research over on Pelican and could buy two pre-made leather seat covers for a little more than $700 delivered from Autoberry.

I got a good recommendation for an upholstery shop Michael Angelos here in Houston. They wanted about $500 to install them. They had some samples of GAHH leather and it was impressive, vat dyed aniline leather and thick. For about $300 more, I am going to have the seat covers made.

Apparently the Targas had vinyl backs and piping, with a leather surface. I am also going to have some batting put in the back of the drivers cushion for more lumbar support. So ordered the leather, should be here in about four days, couple days to do the install. The salesperson Richard was very knowledgeable.

Dino V 12-09-2014 06:14 PM

Beautiful targa!

Michael T 12-17-2014 05:35 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Dropped by to check the progress on my seats. The one that has been fitted looks great and this is before steaming it. Foam was in good shape.

Michael T 12-20-2014 12:42 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I got my car back and the seats look great. The perforated inserts matched perfect and the pleats came out as original. I also had the top of the door panel repaired.

JCBH 12-20-2014 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Michael T (Post 11890784)
I got my car back and the seats look great. The perforated inserts matched perfect and the pleats came out as original. I also had the top of the door panel repaired.

Looks terrific. Great job.

Michael T 01-18-2015 01:26 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Reset the trip odometer, less than 600 miles in 2014. I have a hotel room tied up for the Hill Country Rallye in late March, still waiting on the registration, so I think I will put a few more miles on it this year.

I polished the windshield today using Griot's Glass Polish and my Bosch orbital sander. I bought some glass polishing pads on Amazon. While it does not get out any heavy pitting, it did remove a number of the scratches. The windshield is much more smooth.

On a positive note, I got back from the Scottsdale car auctions last night. Lots of 911's and really strong money at RM and Goodings. Next weekend, the Rolex 24.

JCBH 01-18-2015 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Michael T (Post 11965368)
Reset the trip odometer, less than 600 miles in 2014. I have a hotel room tied up for the Hill Country Rallye in late March, still waiting on the registration, so I think I will put a few more miles on it this year. I polished the windshield today using Griot's Glass Polish and my Bosch orbital sander. I bought some glass polishing pads on Amazon. While it does not get out any heavy pitting, it did remove a number of the scratches. The windshield is much more smooth. On a positive note, I got back from the Scottsdale car auctions last night. Lots of 911's and really strong money at RM and Goodings. Next weekend, the Rolex 24.

Great! Any "after" pics post-glass polish?

Michael T 01-19-2015 03:39 PM

I should have taped off an area for before and after for pics. By bad. From the second photo above, basically the scratches that were lines are mostly gone and the pitted areas are smaller.

JCBH 01-19-2015 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by Michael T (Post 11968394)
I should have taped off an area for before and after for pics. By bad. From the second photo above, basically the scratches that were lines are mostly gone and the pitted areas are smaller.

Thanks!!!

Redline1 01-20-2015 06:02 AM

Will have to try the PJ wheel cleaner

Michael T 02-07-2015 06:12 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Went to Lone Star PCA event this morning. Good attendance.

Michael T 02-07-2015 06:15 PM

2 Attachment(s)
A last car is the real deal. The sign in the windows says "oh yes it is". I can not imagine what it is worth.