Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Convert 78 US 8.5:1 3.0L to Euro Spec 9.8:1, exactly what is needed?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 01:18 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 253 Likes on 156 Posts
Default Convert 78 US 8.5:1 3.0L to Euro Spec 9.8:1, exactly what is needed?

I know I need Euro 9.8:1 piston/ring set but i'm being told the 78 FD is the same as the Euro FD (minus the metal lines), and the heads are the same (big port). I don't want to do a half-arsed conversion if I decide to do it. I will run a blend of 93 and 100 octane, this is a track-only car. Please don't say "you need the euro distributor" or similar without explaining the differences between the two, I want to learn here.

I believe I have a source for the new P&C set .

Thanks for any help.
Old 05-06-2013, 01:35 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,015 Likes on 722 Posts

Gary would the expense of such a project really be worth while ? how much do you think this project is going to run you ?
Old 05-06-2013, 01:50 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by theiceman
Gary would the expense of such a project really be worth while ? how much do you think this project is going to run you ?
Haven't been here (911 Forum) for a loooong time, still got the hockey stick I see!!

Engine is apart for bent valves and as I bumped my car up a class to Prepared "E" in PCA CR because of diminishing turnout in Stock D class I may just make it an E car to be more competitive. As I am going to at least do rings it's just another step to buy pistons and have my cylinders re-plated and everything matched. It's the "add-ons" that may cause me to hold off...
Old 05-06-2013, 02:45 PM
Reiver
Drifting

Received 114 Likes on 76 Posts

Gary,
I'm picking up a rebuilt 930-10 this weekend and asked the same question...what was diff. This is what I got from a guy on the Pelican that runs one so second hand so can't verify but a starting place.
"The only things unique to the 930/10 over US engines would be pistons, fuel distributor, sensor plate and cone, WUR, ignition distributor (factory calibrated curve), and ignition rotor (rev limiting type)."
Old 05-06-2013, 02:59 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,015 Likes on 722 Posts

Well good luck , hopefully things turn out , i have seen some different part numbers for different parts for the CIS but i think Steve would be in a better position to discuss.

yeah i still have the Hockey Stick Avatar .. figure i may as well use it since the leafs finally made the playoffs.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:25 AM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

Don't leave D. I just got there. Besides it costs way too much to convert over everything

Hope to meet you at the Glen at the end of the month. You're gonna be there right?
Old 05-07-2013, 11:06 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

John - Sean F., myself, and (most likely) Chris Taylor already signed up for Prepared E to get away from the SP split starts and following melee. You may end up racing with us anyway as it looks like there are enough SP's to max out a run group! On the advice of Dan Jacobs and the inability to get the new Euro P's&C's in time for WGI, I am just repairing the damage to my current motor and reassembling it. If $$ is available this winter I will do the conversion as E class simply has more competition.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:12 AM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

I wondered what happened. As you probably know, the motor in my car is relatively fresh so doing what you're asking about is not financially warranted at this time. I'll probably do the conversion when the time comes.

I look forward to meeting you at the Glen... I am going to try to park down behind the grandstands close to turn one. I think I'll be down there paddocking with Crossman, Strifling, Chip Henderson and Gregg Lewis. I'm sure we'll have some beer in a cooler somewhere. Stop down and see us.
Old 05-09-2013, 12:15 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Look forward to meeting you John, we usually park up next to the Clubhouse with Dan Jacob's crew. I hope they put D with E for the sprints (90% sure they will now, along with SBox), either way you will be in our Enduro.

Cya up there!
Old 05-09-2013, 06:38 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As listed above by reiver. I think finding good euro parts at any price can be difficult, but I haven't been looking recently. There is a way to 'modify' a CIS WUR for a fatter curve, but it is a risky venture as any changes cannot be undone.

Quick Reply: Convert 78 US 8.5:1 3.0L to Euro Spec 9.8:1, exactly what is needed?