Value of my first 911

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 10:07 AM
keepingmydayjob
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Value of my first 911

Hello all

Been devouring your postings leading up to my anticipated purchase of my first 911.

I came across what is essentially the exact match for me at Holts in West Chester PA. 1987 911 3.2 India Red 61K

http://www.holtmotorsports.com/inventory.php?vin=121093

Tim and his son are absolute gentlemen with an impeccable reputation it seems and a tremendous wealth of info themselves. Yet I seem to find listings for similar cars for significantly less. They do have the reputation of obtaining some of the finest examples of these cars and to an extent I would pay a premium for this.

Would anyone be able to chime in on their opinions regarding fair value of this one?

Much appreciated!
Old 03-29-2013, 02:53 PM
wolds
Advanced

I'm assuming you would still have an independent PPI done on the car. Being a dealer purchase you are paying the mark up over what you might pay for a car from a private seller. Have you driven any 911's to get a feel for how they drive? You can search closed ebay sales for what they have gone for in the past. Hagerty's will also be a good resource. Looks like a nice car, good luck.
Old 03-29-2013, 02:58 PM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Holt buys nice cars but you're going to pay a huge premium to buy a car from him. During my search earlier this year, he had an '89 with 51,000 miles for sale. I called expecting a pricetag of mid-30s and he was asking $44,000. I ended up paying under $30,000 private party for my '89 with 69,000 miles by comparison.
Old 03-29-2013, 04:51 PM
keepingmydayjob
4th Gear

Thank you both for the feedback.

Mr. Bonus' price differences are what I am noticing. To pay a premium of a few thousand for certain assurances I'm fine with. A price difference of 15K is a bit much to swallow. However, I'm a novice and early in my search and wonder if I'll ever become savvy enough to find any really magical deals along the way.

I would obtain a PPI before buying. I've driven several of the 87-89 as well as this one and each was quite similar to me. I mean really fantastic. The one's I've looked into, cosmesis and mileage were the only real differences (one was in rather tough shape).

With that said there was something about this last one that almost made me pull out my checkbook and drive off.

Quick Reply: Value of my first 911