My new 911

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 10:49 AM
cal44
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ryan,
before you go mucking about that beautiful car, ask yourself these questions:

1. Do I have more taste than a team of German designers when it comes to wheels? Remember, these are Fuchs, forged friggin' Fuchs.
2. The engine is designed to operate for optimal horsepower with the size of wheel designed by a team of German engineers, am I smarter than that team?
Of course it's your car........just think it out.
Old 12-15-2012, 01:48 AM
rockryno
Intermediate

Im no engineer. Im sure these cars were top of the line back when they were made. However, Newer technologies now can greatly improve these cars. Im not looking to put this thing in a museum as bone stock. I just want to make it my own, not like everyone elses.
Old 12-15-2012, 02:59 PM
rockryno
Intermediate

something like this might look good. simple 5 spoke design.

Old 12-15-2012, 03:22 PM
mfyoung1086
Racer

those would not fit your car, Fikse does a 5 spoke, prepare to spend $$$$$ unless you find a nice used set then it would be like 2500ish
Old 12-29-2012, 09:36 PM
rockryno
Intermediate

wipers reversed! took about 30 min and only one beer.... went through the gauges. I did bent the wiper arms straight in a vice, and repositioned the arms on their pivots for maximum coverage. Test worked well!

new view!

on another note, since im not using the AC, can I just take the belt off the compressor?
Old 12-29-2012, 09:43 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Just cut it off.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:30 PM
rockryno
Intermediate

ac belt is off. Gained at least 48 hp! Wish I could have just yanked the whole ac system out of there. Think that will be a summer project when the garage is tolerable for more than 20 minutes at a time.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:29 PM
RAJU
Advanced

Even at best the AC is weak especially in stop and go traffic when air flow over engine is not constant. I removed the compressor and compressor mount, and condenser attached to engine compartment lid. This makes access easier for DIY or professional maintenance. No need to remove whole system and keep all part removed. An old system is bad to leak Freon. You may refill and learn how air cooled engine and AC doesn`t work well together as your expensive Freon leaks away. After 15 years my `83 SC still puts a smile on my face. Enjoy.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:05 PM
SPDADCT
Instructor

Congrats on the new 911. It looks like a nice car and you basically want a lowered 911 with nice wheels. Of course that's the start, then comes exhaust and all the other mods. I would stick to 17" as the 18"wheels look better on the widebody cars. Any air cooled 911 should never have a 19" as it takes away from the cars fine lines.
Attached Images  
Old 01-08-2013, 08:30 PM
RAJU
Advanced

Default FYI

FYI; While having regular maintenance, valve adjustment etc I told the wrench about clutch concerns. Wrench said `83SC came from factory with plastic bushing at clutch pedal pivot point that pulls clutch cable engaging clutch. The plastic wears out fast creating slack and loss of cable adjustment life. In my case the clutch cable had no more adjustment left to the point at a stop the car with the clutch pushed was trying to pull somewhat. After replacing plastic bushing with a metallic bushing the slack was remove enough so as to allowing adjustment so clutch fully engaged and left enough for future adjustments if needed. Before bushing replacement clutch pedal and brake pedal where not at the same distance from fire wall as per original specs. This could now be adjusted. Later another experienced wrench said this same type of problem exist with the gas pedal linkage. The pivot point for this is located in the engine department. The slack here keeps the throttle from full opening.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:49 PM
rockryno
Intermediate

thanks for the info!
Old 01-09-2013, 10:22 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,015 Likes on 722 Posts

Originally Posted by RAJU
FYI; While having regular maintenance, valve adjustment etc I told the wrench about clutch concerns. Wrench said `83SC came from factory with plastic bushing at clutch pedal pivot point that pulls clutch cable engaging clutch. The plastic wears out fast creating slack and loss of cable adjustment life. In my case the clutch cable had no more adjustment left to the point at a stop the car with the clutch pushed was trying to pull somewhat. After replacing plastic bushing with a metallic bushing the slack was remove enough so as to allowing adjustment so clutch fully engaged and left enough for future adjustments if needed. Before bushing replacement clutch pedal and brake pedal where not at the same distance from fire wall as per original specs. This could now be adjusted. Later another experienced wrench said this same type of problem exist with the gas pedal linkage. The pivot point for this is located in the engine department. The slack here keeps the throttle from full opening.
here are some pics .. there are several bushings throughout the accelerator lnkage that can be replaced to clean things up . here was mine i replaced during my airbox replacement. you can see it was worn away and what a bear to replace if you dont have the CIS removed.
oh BTW i actually assemebled the throttle plate wrong in that pic , didnt fix it till after i took the pic so dont use that as a guide

Last pics you can see the old nylon bushings in the pedal cluster. I ordered a bronze pedal cluster kit which supplied everything to refurb this. Very doabale DIY with a few tools. Just be carefull with those springs. If you go past the cantaleiver point the springs will snap that pedal cluster closed on you like a bear trap,, And with one hand in a bear trap you cant get enough leverage to get it off.

Now as far as the clutch goes if your tech is telling you that a tiny plastic bushing is putting your clutch at the limit of adjustment range i would say you are graspoing at the last few straws of a severly worn clutch or stretched clutch cable. Just be prepared. I relaced my Clutch cable and it was a world of difference. Kept the old in the trunk as a spare . Havent needed it in 8 years but now im afraid to take it out coz you know what will happen. I will atach a pic of my new cable when i did it so you can see where i am in the adj range.

Last edited by theiceman; 04-10-2013 at 11:40 AM.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:35 AM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Welcome to Porsche ownership!!!

On the lights... best looking are the H4... chrome rings or painted rings, your choice. And you can then drop in some PIAA bulbs.

Or, if you want HIDs, go with these: http://www.d-zug.us/hidupgrade.htm

Try to avoid installing HIDs in housings not designed for them... I can't speak to that, I went ahead and installed a kit in my 964 anyway... but at the time there were no alternatives for correct HID housings...

On the wheels... that is your choice, many styles to select from. Make it your own.

Keep us posted on the changes. We love to see photos

Quick Reply: My new 911