Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

New Member with 911 Carrera RallyCross Project

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 11:43 AM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

I think a small increase in ride height on the LR will move more weight to the RR and LF to aid in balancing.
Old 12-29-2012, 12:27 PM
kjchristopher
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by team illuminata
I was thinking that. I want to replace the battery with a much lighter one but looking at the numbers that might make things worse.

The left rear seems to be holdin up the car right now.
It could be a combination of the LR and RF. Given the weight difference, I suspect more on the LR. Is this weight with driver ballast? How close are you on ride height's comparing side to side?

I've got the same problem on my car, but on the opposite diagonal. In my case, my RR ride height is about .5-.75" higher than my LR, so my first step would be to lower the RR and get rid of some of the RR/LF teeter-toter. But my bolts are pretty solid and I noticed that there is some shift in the bushing, so I'm waiting now to get the racecar out of the garage so I can pull the rear apart and install new bushings. I did the front a few months ago (Rebel Racing products) and am quite pleased, so I'll use their stuff in the rear as well. Probably go monoball on the front mount.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:06 PM
team illuminata
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by kjchristopher
It could be a combination of the LR and RF. Given the weight difference, I suspect more on the LR. Is this weight with driver ballast? How close are you on ride height's comparing side to side?

I've got the same problem on my car, but on the opposite diagonal. In my case, my RR ride height is about .5-.75" higher than my LR, so my first step would be to lower the RR and get rid of some of the RR/LF teeter-toter. But my bolts are pretty solid and I noticed that there is some shift in the bushing, so I'm waiting now to get the racecar out of the garage so I can pull the rear apart and install new bushings. I did the front a few months ago (Rebel Racing products) and am quite pleased, so I'll use their stuff in the rear as well. Probably go monoball on the front mount.
Originally Posted by 3.2 Targa
I think a small increase in ride height on the LR will move more weight to the RR and LF to aid in balancing.
It's quite complicated isn't it. I would have said reduce the height of the LR!

I'm not going to worry about it for now. We have not yet settled on ride heigh and have quite a few more mods planned so for now it will do. I was more interested in the overall weight than anything.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:20 PM
kjchristopher
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by team illuminata
It's quite complicated isn't it. I would have said reduce the height of the LR!

I'm not going to worry about it for now. We have not yet settled on ride heigh and have quite a few more mods planned so for now it will do. I was more interested in the overall weight than anything.
It isn't that complicated. In your case, increasing LR ride height will make the situation worse, so your instinct is correct. (Note that my car's weight issue is opposite of yours.)
Old 01-02-2013, 08:17 AM
butzip
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

This thread has me all fired up! Great Job Paul!
Old 01-04-2013, 10:28 PM
team illuminata
Racer

Tomorrow's exploits:

http://www.myautoevents.com/pls/mae/...event_id=13534

Wish us luck!
Old 01-04-2013, 10:34 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Pics or it didn't happen.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:39 PM
team illuminata
Racer

Saturday. I'd need a really long camera lens with a crystal ball to get pictures already. It is in Crystal, Michigan though.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:49 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

Have fun!
Old 01-06-2013, 05:07 PM
team illuminata
Racer

This car is proving to be an ideal weapon in the world of SCCA RallyCross as yesterday, driven by guest driver Scott Harvey and owner Paul Eddleston it achieved first and second place in the Detroit Region Season Opener held in Crystal, Michigan.

Conditions were frigid for the morning session and competitors were presented with a frozen solid dirt surface with litlle snow coverage, even the portions of course inside the dirt ovel track. The Carrera, on it's Winterforce tires once again had an advantage in traction over the other Prepared RWD who's engines were all in the "wrong" place for such conditions. The course started out wide and open and gave some wonderful ****-out drifting opportunities but one had to reign it in for the last third as it got much tighter and slippier as it entered and traversed the oval to the finish, albeit by a circuitous route.

The afternoon session was a different story. The course was run backwards and with temperatures climbing into the 30s a sloppy goop had formed on top of frozen dirt, churned up by the AWD classes before us. Still, once we picked our way carefully through the oval track section we could open up the car, with a little care than we both used, to set some really quick times. One or two of our runs came to grief however as we both had instances of instananeuos oversteer in some of the faster sections, resulting in a few spins and multiple cone penalties between us. Still, the other competitors suffered similar fates and we came out on top again.

It was good to finally drive the car fast on the loose and I was amazed how competant it is. It just bites you in the bum surprisingly quickly if you overstep with no way of rescueing it. Lot to learn with this one. The car ran flawlessly agaiin despite the beating. Only issue was a burnt out blower motor for outside air but as the outside air was freezing we didn't miss it much. Might do next time. Easy fix?

Next event: round two on February 15th or thereabouts. Maybe some performance mods can be incorporated before then.

Here's some pictures and video links. More should surface over the next week or so.

IN CAR:

EXTERIOR:

Old 01-06-2013, 05:28 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Congrats on a great outing! I've never driven in conditions like you are, but as I'm sure you are learning, if you start to slide and let off the throttle as a reaction, you compound the spin. Your throttle can be your friend, at least on the track-dry and wet-so keeping it on, at least to some extent, can keep you hooked up at the rear.
Old 01-06-2013, 05:32 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

And, damn.....I just remembered-I have to go to Muskegon, MI in a couple of weeks.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:31 PM
team illuminata
Racer

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Congrats on a great outing! I've never driven in conditions like you are, but as I'm sure you are learning, if you start to slide and let off the throttle as a reaction, you compound the spin. Your throttle can be your friend, at least on the track-dry and wet-so keeping it on, at least to some extent, can keep you hooked up at the rear.
Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
And, damn.....I just remembered-I have to go to Muskegon, MI in a couple of weeks.
Thanks Ed. I'm really not sure how to drive this thing fast in the loose. Throttle on oversteer or throttle off oversteer seems to be its main characteristic. Maybe I just go slower. NAH!

Have fun in Muskegon. If you get chance keep going till you hit Lewiston for the Sno*Drift rally. http://www.sno-drift.org/
Old 01-06-2013, 08:23 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Ha! Either I fly back to San Diego, or now I'm thinking of detouring to Daytona for the Rolex 24 hr race on the way home. 3 days in MI in Jan will be enough-I'll need to be near a coast.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:21 PM
Reiver
Drifting

Received 114 Likes on 76 Posts

Looking good and reminds me of growing up on Lake Michigan....I learned to 'power out' of a skid early on as a kid...opposite lock and throttle your way thru...works on motorcycles too.

Quick Reply: New Member with 911 Carrera RallyCross Project