911 Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

New Member with 911 Carrera RallyCross Project

Old 12-05-2012, 04:08 PM
team illuminata
User

Originally Posted by mfyoung1086 View Post
Also Paul whats the old saying? If you're not cheating you're not racing!
or. "If your not cheating you're sleeping, at night."
Old 12-05-2012, 04:13 PM
mfyoung1086
User

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes View Post
I'm sorry for being hung up on words, but the OP's question, and your reply clearly stated CASTER, and based on that being the topic, my reply stands. If we are now talking about CAMBER, then the answer is indeed different.
Opps sorry long day, let me look again but I believe Jerry over at SRP makes on its in his old catalog

either way doesn't matter if his rules don't allow them, so I'm not gonna get into an internet fight about the availability of a weld in item, that could be fab from a generic kit... once again long day
Old 12-05-2012, 04:13 PM
team illuminata
User

Originally Posted by amber lamps View Post
Are you required to carry the spare tire?

also check to see if the smuggler's box is empty.

Although, if you can't get away with adjustable brake bias, adding weight in the front end may be the only alternative.

Where's the rule book anyway? This could get fun.
Here is a link to the rules. This could get interesting.

http://scca.cdn.racersites.com/prod/...es-revised.pdf

We are currently in Prepared due to our non-standard wheel size. Also, bear in mind that we are trying to keep the car legal in autocross Street Touring R too.

http://scca.cdn.racersites.com/prod/...ry_reduced.pdf

and one other local autocross rule set. Quite a juggling act.

Stand back
Old 12-05-2012, 04:39 PM
mfyoung1086
User

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes View Post
I'm sorry for being hung up on words, but the OP's question, and your reply clearly stated CASTER, and based on that being the topic, my reply stands. If we are now talking about CAMBER, then the answer is indeed different.
haha double post!

also what are those Braids 15"s

I'm not up to snuff on my factory SC knowledge but weren't 15's available from the factory?

Last edited by mfyoung1086; 12-05-2012 at 04:44 PM. Reason: double post
Old 12-05-2012, 04:58 PM
team illuminata
User

haha double post!

also what are those Braids 15"s

I'm not up to snuff on my factory SC knowledge but weren't 15's available from the factory?
Yes, 15x6.5, ET35 (12mm spacers for the rear once I source studs) I't the width that throws us out of stock, that and my desire to modify.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:08 PM
Ed Hughes
Addict
Rennlist Member

Opps sorry long day, let me look again but I believe Jerry over at SRP makes on its in his old catalog

either way doesn't matter if his rules don't allow them, so I'm not gonna get into an internet fight about the availability of a weld in item, that could be fab from a generic kit... once again long day
I didn't realize the discussion was an Internet fight. I was simply replying to what I believed to be some erroneous comments on CASTER adjustment, on t-bar 911's. Any aftermarket plate offering some sort of angular strut adjustment will be for CAMBER adjustment, as usually people are looking for more negative camber than stock, and perhaps adjustability. I modded my struts to get to -2.1 (IIRC) on Ruby. Once it was aligned-it stayed that way.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:17 AM
mfyoung1086
User

Originally Posted by team illuminata View Post
Yes, 15x6.5, ET35 (12mm spacers for the rear once I source studs) I't the width that throws us out of stock, that and my desire to modify.
Listen I wouldn't take that self inflicted hit on the tire. That rule is meant to stop people from going with wider tires, not skinnier. I would call up the SCCA and ask them if you can run a 6.5" as a replacement for factory 7" on your 911. I think its nice that you're staying within the rules, but going skinnier on tires in this case I don't think it breaks the spirit of the rules to stay within factory specs.

At the very least there is no penalty for asking, god I can't wait to see this thing in the dirt!!!!!!
Old 12-06-2012, 02:53 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict
Rennlist Member

I can't get the PDF to load....but what are your wheel widths? your car could have easily had dealer installed 7's and 8's. Lot's did.

....and have you started looking at Pelican?
Old 12-06-2012, 06:34 AM
mfyoung1086
User

I can't get the PDF to load....but what are your wheel widths? your car could have easily had dealer installed 7's and 8's. Lot's did.

....and have you started looking at Pelican?
Its not a matter of if the car came equipped with 7's and 8's, the fact that it was an factory option or factory sponsered dealership option is all that matters. Think of it this way if you could have gone to Porsche dealership in 1984 and ticked a box on the order form for that part you want to install.. then you can install that part! Which means if you had deep enough pockets you could flare the fenders, rock turbo suspension and brakes on your car and still be within rules for the stock! The only caveat being that you can install parts of an option, so if you just wanted turbo brakes, that was part of the bigger m491 package so you'd have to go full blown

But it still gives you a LOT of stuff you can do within the rules! For example the US spec car was technically an option, you could remove the catalytic converter and say they you're using the RoW option code instead! Heres a nice PDF of all the option codes from 64-03, double check them to make sure they were available in 84

http://members.rennlist.com/vilhuer/options.pdf
Old 12-06-2012, 08:46 AM
team illuminata
User

This is great info guys but one thing you might be overlooking or may not be aware of is that I own a parts business based on rallycross and autocross mostly so part of the motivation for this and any of our projects is to throw parts at the car so staying in stock really isn't an option, fun though it might be to study and apply factory options. What we are trying to do is develop the car in such a way as to be competitive in class in the three (or two) series we want to run in to the point where the modificatins we want to perform bump us up.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:43 AM
team illuminata
User

Not much action yesterday though the State of Michigan fully endorses the project now.

Sorry about the untidy rear. The car was backed into a trailer at some point resulting the the above damage. It got a new engine cover as a result. The remaining damage is not visible with the Porsche plate on but, because of the distortion it wont stay on so I took it till I can devise a fix.

These showed up yesterday. They're not for me but I sure am tempted. We still have to figure out our autocross and track day setup but are leaning to these BRAID replicas in 16x7 and 16x8 shod with Dunlop Direzzas 205 and 225. Of course, ours might be white!

We scored some proper rally snow tires; Yokohama A034. Can you imagine how squirmy these would be on tarmac?

What's this for? One on the left and one on the right, just behind the front wheels.

No windshield washers! I added washer fluid and it poured straight onto the floor! Found the pump and bottle but the pipe from the filler is missing. Sorta strange. Pump works though. Today I'll investigate the bottle which is sort of loose.

Apart from the above major triumphs we did suffer one setback yesterday: I was adjusting the engine cover latch as it wasn't quite latching. Now it wont unlatch. DOH! Any suggestions how to get it open? I'm sure I'll have to get in there sooner or later.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:45 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict
Rennlist Member

The hooks are where your A/C lines used to be.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:50 AM
mclaudio
User

Nice project. I especially like your inspiration, as I've been tempted to dabble in such a project.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:20 PM
team illuminata
User

Originally Posted by mclaudio View Post
Nice project. I especially like your inspiration, as I've been tempted to dabble in such a project.
I can sense that from your avatar Mclaudio.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:21 PM
team illuminata
User

The hooks are where your A/C lines used to be.
Of course!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Member with 911 Carrera RallyCross Project

Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: