Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

3.2 Owner, requiring advice on performance

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 06:27 PM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by wildcat077
The ultimate performance gain would be to get a good exaust system,purchase a chip from any of your favorite vendors then bring your car for a dyno session and get everything fine tuned as per YOUR particular car ...

I have the 1 5/8 headers,sport muffler,SW chip on my car but after i drop my engine to install a Kennedy lightweight pressure plate and Clewet billet single fan pulley over the Winter my car is going on the dyno for a custom "remap" of my existing chip !
There's always some HP on the table for a good dyno session as each car is different and generic chips work differently for each application !

Just sayin ...

Cheers !
Phil
Phil, which headers and which sport muffler are you running? What is your opinion of them on a sound & performance basis for street & track use?

Thanks!
Old 10-15-2012, 06:49 PM
wildcat077
Drifting

Received 186 Likes on 160 Posts

Jonathan,

I finally broke down after three years and purchased a full Fabspeed header and muffler system ...
The sound is magnificent,although there is some droning between 2K to 3K rpm but you get used to driving in the right gear and keep it out of that rpm range ... lol

If anything,it helped the throttle response as a stock 3.2 is pretty sluggish below 4000 rpm which is why a KEP lightweight flywheel is going on this Winter.Fabspeed is expensive but you get what you pay for in terms of quality and workmanship and i wanted to keep the heat option for windshield defrost purposes.
I was using a Fabspeed one in,dual out muffler with a MK pre muffler for the last three years but i wanted a little more and i will have my car custom dynoed next Spring when it comes back out.It sees approx 15-18 track days per season and every little gain is precious

By the way,i passed the sound test at two different tracks so the sound is bearable !

Cheers !
Phil
Old 10-16-2012, 12:31 AM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

"There's always some HP on the table for a good dyno session as each car is different and generic chips work differently for each application !"

Really? And you've done the tests and have the data to show this, right?
Or did you read this hyperbole somewhere like most from the 'master tuners'?

Bottom line: Spend some time on a dyno and take notes before making wild claims!
Old 10-16-2012, 04:00 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Why why why????

......just when I thought it was safe to come back in here. Nooooooope
Old 10-16-2012, 09:27 AM
wildcat077
Drifting

Received 186 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by Lorenfb
"There's always some HP on the table for a good dyno session as each car is different and generic chips work differently for each application !"

Really? And you've done the tests and have the data to show this, right?
Or did you read this hyperbole somewhere like most from the 'master tuners'?

Bottom line: Spend some time on a dyno and take notes before making wild claims!
Loren ,

I won't get into a debate regarding generic chips as you've already vented all your stupidity against Steve Wong and whoever doesn't adhere to your theories ...

I'm just quoting what an experienced dyno tuner told me about MY car and i'm sure he'll be able to squeeze some extra HP by fine tuning MY car !
In the meantime,why don't you disappear for a while and chill out until you have something positive to add to these forums again ...
Old 10-16-2012, 09:48 AM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 133 Likes on 86 Posts

OP, if you refer to the mods in my signature, I think you will be quite happy! You would also love the short shifter! The suspension mods are great as well, but understood you are not going that route right now.
Old 10-16-2012, 11:09 AM
rachnath
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, discussed the SW chip option with the man himself. Finished off by me placing an order for a Steve Wong chip today. I got the 95 chip programmed to run 98 octane.

SW suggested that it may be good for possibly 3-4 HP more than the 95, though less margin for error. Based of what I have heard and read of this man, I can only believe what he states.

Next will be an exhaust. So, do I need headers and an exhaust to get real omph? or?

Also, prior to me purchasing the April 89 3.2 I also test drove a few 993 and (sorry to upset the 993 owners) however I found very little difference between them. That said, I was later advised the difference is once you get over 150 - 160 kph.
I still believe the 993 is a more attractive car, however less more now than in the past.

Also, will new headers and or exhaust give as much as the SW chip will give or less? Otherwise, thank you thus far, it's all appreciated.

Cheers and thank you.
Old 10-16-2012, 11:28 AM
Lorenfb
Race Car

"I got the 95 chip programmed to run 98 octane."

So why the need for all the extra octane requirement if Porsche just
"left performance on the table" and it's tuning of the AFRs that are
critical and yield 'performance'?

Some just can't see beyond the hyperbole!
Old 10-16-2012, 10:14 PM
rachnath
Track Day

Originally Posted by Lorenfb
"I got the 95 chip programmed to run 98 octane."

So why the need for all the extra octane requirement if Porsche just
"left performance on the table" and it's tuning of the AFRs that are
critical and yield 'performance'?

Some just can't see beyond the hyperbole!
Why let facts get in the way of a good story?

But honestly, I'm not looking for a quantum leap in performance. I'm looking for a little, like better throttle response and if I can get say additional 10 - 15 HP more then that's a bonus.

Also because I believe manufactures do err on the side of being conservative, particularly to save on possible warranty claims, then that is why I believe there would be some 5 - 7% extra lurking in there.

Surely all those those others who state their cars feels more responsive can't all be delusional?

I really don't want too much, just a little.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:30 AM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Please share your thoughts with us once installed! I agree with your thinking rachnath. Planning to do the SW in the spring so very interested in your thread!
Old 10-17-2012, 01:44 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 114 Likes on 81 Posts

I threw my '86 Carrera on a local Dyno Dynamics (known to be the lowest reading of all the dyno brands). Prior to the pulls I had no idea there was a chip in my ECU. I made 227whp. That was when I looked inside of my ECU to find a Wong chip. That is 20whp over the published stock CRANK HP for a US car, which suggests that the chip is good for 30chp or so. I have no exhaust mods. While I suspect there is less to be found on an ROW vehicle that started out with 231@the crank, the dyno doesn't lie...
Old 10-18-2012, 02:17 AM
Lorenfb
Race Car

"That is 20whp over the published stock CRANK HP for a US car,"

O.K. so, based on the simple relationship between timing advance and HP
(4 HP change for every 1 degree of timing change), the timing in the chip was
advanced about 5 degrees over stock. Hardly any great achievement, since the
guys with the 911SCs knew that 30 years ago and just had to loosen the distributor
and slightly move it. Obviously like now, they had to use a higher octane to maintain
the engine's margin of safety.

So much for 'performance' tuning!
Old 10-18-2012, 06:05 AM
rachnath
Track Day

Originally Posted by porsche0nut
Please share your thoughts with us once installed! I agree with your thinking rachnath. Planning to do the SW in the spring so very interested in your thread!
More than happy to let you how it goes. Thus far SW has provided good service. In as such, he advised of the pro's and con's of the 95 ron octane chip and the 98. Based on his feedback I went for the 98, because it has the potential to deliver a wee bit more.

Once I made payment (used paypal) within 24 hrs I got notification of dispatch. Unfortunately porsche0nut, I am working in Asia and will not return home to Sydney until mid December. So please be patient for the report.

My 14 year son offered to install, and test pilot the car.........Hmmm but i'm still thinking about that one.

PS, we'll be in NY late Dec - Jan for holidays.
Old 10-18-2012, 11:00 AM
rachnath
Track Day

Originally Posted by porsche0nut
Welcome! An absolutely fantastic car, and interesting given the right-hand-drive!

First and foremost... Pics are a must!

For 20-30 more hp, I would recommend (and I think many would agree) that SSI heat exchangers, a sport muffler, and a steve wong chip will get you where you want to be.

The best part is, you don't have to change the look of the car at all, and reliability won't be affected either.
Pics added as requested.
Attached Images      
Old 10-18-2012, 01:25 PM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Car looks incredible! Fantastic shots. Nice steering wheel too, is that the Turbo S wheel? Much nicer than the horizontal framed version.

Are those 7" and 8" wheels? They look wider than mine - and I like it!

Any plans to lower the car a little? 1/2" drop would do wonders to the stance

Quick Reply: 3.2 Owner, requiring advice on performance