Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

European Bumper Guards

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 11:30 AM
Steam Driver
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default European Bumper Guards

Will the '74 european bumper guards retrofit to my '82 SC w/o leaving any unsightly holes and/or requiring new mounting holes to be drilled in the bumper? My guess is "no," but I figured someone here knows that for sure. Exposed holes towards the license plate would be OK because I intend to use that wider space (for the european plate) for a black plexiglas "badge bar" to put the PCA badge and an old-style SCCA emblem on either side of the license.
Old 09-13-2012, 01:55 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No. there will be holes. some guys put bolts through the bumper and paint them the same color as the bumper.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:39 PM
Steam Driver
Racer

Thanks for the info. I figured there might be, but what I have in mind will cover them w/o the bolts.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:08 PM
jclanin
Rennlist Member

Looking forward to seeing your results! Please post pics...
Old 09-13-2012, 10:49 PM
Reiver
Drifting

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts

Just do a delete altogether....Ace hardware has flush plastic plugs that fit both size holes...paint and be done. Someday I'll weld them up...some day....I swear.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:45 AM
Steam Driver
Racer

It will be awhile on any pictures; I have bigger "fish to fry" on this car to do cosmetics at the moment. Getting it back on the road after it's 15 year sleep comes first.

The main reason I'm looking at the euro guards rather than the smooth look is to maintain some semblance of license plate lighting.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:55 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,172 Likes on 840 Posts

not to mention if someone just happens to drift into you .. it happened to me last year.. light went green and guy behind me was texting. i had a little trouble getting into first and bang.. hit from behind. guy was looking down and saw cars on either side move forward so he pulled away right into me. no damage as he hit the "parachutes" on the back .. but would have been ugly if i had nothing back there.

and on a totally unrelated note i have a couple of bumperettes for sale ... mine were fine but i made him buy me new ones coz he pissed me off.
Old 09-15-2012, 02:01 AM
Reiver
Drifting

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Steam Driver
It will be awhile on any pictures; I have bigger "fish to fry" on this car to do cosmetics at the moment. Getting it back on the road after it's 15 year sleep comes first.

The main reason I'm looking at the euro guards rather than the smooth look is to maintain some semblance of license plate lighting.
If you want to delete them get a license plate surround with built in light....that was my solution.
Old 09-15-2012, 12:18 PM
MillenniumFalcon
Rennlist Member

My bumperettes are missing the lighting and have some kind of filler plates where the lights would go, so I have a plastic "Porsche" license plate frame that has plate lighting in it.... the frame is faded and getting a little unsightly.

If anyone knows where to get a new lighted license plate frame, please post it here!
Old 01-13-2014, 05:27 PM
Steam Driver
Racer

This is an old thread, but I said I would post a picture of how I handled the holes in the rear bumper after putting european bumper guards on the rear of my SC. So here it is.

This is a "badge bar" for the PCA and SCCA badges flanking the license plate. It's made out of aluminum and is spaced out from the bumper a half-inch so that moisture behind it will dry and it won't abrade the paint. (In case some future owner wants to go back to stock)j It did require drilling four additional holes in the bumper, but those will be covered by the larger stock bumper guards if they're reinstalled.
Attached Images  
Old 01-13-2014, 06:49 PM
JQ911
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default euro bumper conversion

When I had the euro bumper conversion on my 86, I found out that the 74 bumper guards would not sit well on a Carrera valance as the bottom part of the bumperette would sit far down low hitting the valance. Not sure if the SC rear valance sits the same as the Carrera. In addition, there will be an extra hole that will have to be plugged or filled.

I ended up buying a used euro bumper altogether with the bumper guards for a cheap one shipped via greyhound
Old 01-13-2014, 08:25 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

The SC and Carrera valances are also different. That's why it is always best to compare the part numbers of the bumper pads. They are very close, but you'll have the same problem as you experienced.
Old 01-29-2015, 12:16 AM
urquattro83
1st Gear

Originally Posted by ron mcatee
The SC and Carrera valances are also different. That's why it is always best to compare the part numbers of the bumper pads. They are very close, but you'll have the same problem as you experienced.
Ron,

Might you have a good idea where I might find European overriders for my '85 CArrera 3.2?

Thanks,

Doug in Burlington, Wash.
(And Chris Powell takes care of my car!)
Old 01-29-2015, 10:16 AM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Doug, no sir I don't. Have you checked with John Walker's workshop in the Seattle area or Steve Weiner at Rennsport in Portland? I'm sorry, but I don't have their addresses or phone numbers.
Old 01-29-2015, 05:14 PM
JQ911
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by urquattro83
Ron,

Might you have a good idea where I might find European overriders for my '85 CArrera 3.2?

Thanks,

Doug in Burlington, Wash.
(And Chris Powell takes care of my car!)
For your 85 you may have to look for euro overiders or bumperettes with a part no that starts with 930 if you just want to put it there without changing the valance. Otherwise, for those with part no. 911 a pre-Carrera valance is needed.

Quick Reply: European Bumper Guards