Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

grease\oil on spark plug threads ok?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 10:06 AM
Hunt3R
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question grease\oil on spark plug threads ok?

Just changed my spark plugs for the first time since I bought the car recently. All 6 tips look like the engine is firing perfectly, but I went ahead and changed them anyway while they were out since new copper plugs were so cheap. Each plug I took out had a little grease\oil in the threads, I assume this is normal on a 26+ year old engine eh? Either from years of gunk or maybe someone even tried to put anti-seize on the plugs at some point in it's life. Is there a safe\easy way to clean the threads next time I change the plugs?

Also, I have red Beru wires, not sure of their age but they generally look good and I don't see any sparks while it's running at night, however the plug wire contact on the #2 cylinder plug had a little corrosion on it, but the other end of that wire going into the distributor cap did not. Can I easily clean this corrosion off? I just wiped some dielectric grease around it and plugged it back on the new plug, I actually did this to all wire connections and I also replaced the distributor cap and ignition rotor while I was at it, AND installed a new k&n air filter while I was in there doing all of this, and the car is just running great now. Very smooth, quick pickup... maybe that wire is ok for now until I replace the whole set further down the road?
Old 07-29-2012, 01:14 PM
MillenniumFalcon
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To remove corrosion on electrical connections you may want to try this product: "DeOxit"

Available at Radio shack in spray or liquid form. Musicians and audiophiles use this stuff to clean and protect audio connections. I use it to clean just about every electrical connection in a car. It takes the buildup right off of any electrical contact. I've never used it on the high tension side of the iginition system though- perhaps someone else will have a better idea for dealing with that.

As far as your spark plug threads- I couldn't say what is normal to find in there, since I'm new to P-cars. But applying lubricant to the spark plug threads prior to inserting them into any aluminum head is fairly standard practice...
Old 08-03-2012, 09:38 PM
spanky
Rennlist Member

Received 686 Likes on 475 Posts

I always use a small brush and apply a bit of mobil 1 15/50 oil to the threads.
Old 08-04-2012, 12:11 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DeOxit product line is superb.

Doyle
Old 08-04-2012, 05:24 PM
Hunt3R
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I got stuck in some heavy rain yesterday and after a few minutes, while sitting at a red light, my idle started dropping and I had to rev it up but it was sputtering and when it turned green I could barely go, just stuttering and almost dying. I kept trying to rev it up and then suddenly it just started going and I was fine the rest of the way home although the rain had let up too. So I popped out that one plug connector that had some corrosion on it and I sprayed a bunch of WD40 in there and used a wire brush poker to scrub it out and then put a lot of dielectric grease on the contact and snapped it back onto the spark plug and it really felt like it was attached more solidly to the plug this time. So I ran the engine and sprayed my water hose all over the engine and the idle stayed perfect the whole time. I guess I really did need to clean out that one plug pretty bad.

Quick Reply: grease\oil on spark plug threads ok?