Recently Arrived to 911 - Daily Driver Recap

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2013, 01:09 AM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Moo
Wow. Great save! Stellar vintage, that.
Literally a barn find. The previous owner dragged it out of a barn after a decade of hiding. He did all the mechanicals. I got it and started after the cosmetics.

I am sure it's a blast to ride.
I don't ride much, but it's fun to work on (like a 911). She's old, only a touch under 1000 cc's and not all that quick by today's standards, but it's identical in feel to an '80's 3.2 litre Carrera but with two wheels. The Germans were at the top of their game in the '80's. I took it to a few 110th Harley Anniversary events over Labor Day here in Milwaukee and even in that sea of HD's, it surprised me as to the attention it got. I was ready to be strung up for invading with a German bike, but I think people give you a pass if you're driving/riding something old.

My wife still won't let me put it in living room...yet...

My apologies for the bike diversion. Please continue with the 911 content.
Old 10-30-2013, 03:53 PM
Mister Moo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay H
My wife still won't let me put it in living room...yet...

My apologies for the bike diversion...
I'm expanding this thread to include German air- and oil cooled boxer bikes.

A friend in CA has a twin he rarely rides; I too suggested it be moved into the living room as a piece of industrial art. It's an obvious option (for men). Heaven knows I am a master of the obvious.

I think these old boxers are just beautiful.

Old 05-30-2014, 11:41 AM
Mister Moo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Daily Driver Update: 2 1/2 years x 188,000 on the odometer

42,000 miles driven @1,400/month.

Pleased to report no drama. The radio quit a while back and I haven't missed it; on long trips there are noise-cancelling earphones, cellphone/MP3s, cellphone news and enough podcasts to keep me occupied coast to coast. The cruise control hasn't worked since I got the car and best intentions aside I learn I prefer to keep my foot on the pedal. The sportseat is comfortable and well enough positioned for long drives without a cruise and I am not an unintentional speeder.

Oil consumption on a 47,000 mile engine is holding at one quart per 5,000 mile change. Fuel consumption remains 22-26mpg. No knocks, no rattles and no leaks except for a few drops that might dribble after replacing an oil filter. As long as I run the car on pure high-octane gasoline the engine is ping-free and steady from cold starts to hot days; running 10% ethanol the engine may be balky or stall-sensitive until it warms up. Rennair added two years ago sometimes causes the engine to overheat in town when the outside temperature is in excess of 93*.

A broken left leg and a soft left knee kept me out of the seat from March through the middle of May. It is so nice to be back in the targa again. Love my Porsche. For the daily driver who is mostly kind to his clutch I believe engine problems (compression loss, excessive oil consumption, bearing failures, etc.) are dodged with regular oil changes and, particularly, a minimum 180* warm-up before visiting +3,200rpm.

Best from the front parking space in Lizard Lick. Enjoy your summer.

Quick Reply: Recently Arrived to 911 - Daily Driver Recap