Any Experience with Bridgestone RE-11 or Michelin Pilot Exalto PE2

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 11:01 AM
Dino944
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Any Experience with Bridgestone RE-11 or Michelin Pilot Exalto PE2

Hi Guys,

I searched and didn't find much on these tires. Just wondering if anyone has owned them and what their experience has been with them? Its for a car which uses the same tire sizes as a 3.2 Carrera equipped with 16" Fuchs. Plus both cars have a rear weight bias so there are some similarities there too.

I'm looking at replacing Goodyear F1 GS-D3s (because of age, not mileage). I was originally going to replace the F1 GS-D3s with the RE-11s, but the head tech asked why Bridgestones, and showed me another customer's car that they just installed the michelins on. I mentioned it was a top rated max performance tire. He said the Michelins are highly rated, are probably quieter and may give a better ride. The PE2s seem to be a level down on tire rackes performance description (ultra high performance summer tire, rather than max performance tire on Tireracks catagory list), but this isn't a modern 400hp car. I don't Auto-X and I know that my car's performance levels today probably don't require the most extreme performance tires, but I'm not sure which way to go.

I searched the tire threads here and saw a brief mention of a Pilot Exalto. Anyone else using these tires that can share some ownership experience?

I did some research on tirerack's site and it appears the rear Michelins weight about 4-5lbs less each and I think the fronts weight 3-4 lbs less each. Less weight at each wheel is always a good thing. So less weight may cancell out some of the performance advantages of the RE-11, sharper turn in and higher ratings or handling in the dry weather (I think the Michelins are better in wet, although I don't use the car in wet weather).

Any thoughts or experiences with these 2 tires is greatly appreciated. I've had good experiences with both brands so I'm sure both are good tires.
Thanks and best regards,
Dino

P.S. There are some very beautiful examples of 911s on this forum. I'm definitely thinking about one day adding an air cooled 911 to our garage.

Last edited by Dino944; 04-06-2012 at 12:48 PM.
Old 03-30-2012, 11:38 AM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It has been a while and I can't remember what they were on, but I have driven a car on the track with RE-11's and I was impressed. That is about all I can say about them.
Old 03-30-2012, 12:00 PM
ltdan12a
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've run the RE-11's on a couple of cars now, and have been very happy... Good looking tire, tons of grip... Ride isn't too harsh.. And they don't get noisy when they are worn down like some tires!!!
Old 03-30-2012, 01:54 PM
Dino944
Drifting

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the input, I reallly apprecate it.

Best regards,
Dino
Old 04-01-2012, 12:05 AM
llangston1
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had the Exaltos on my '87 for about 2 years and they have performed well through 2 DEs and 2 driving schools and many road trips. They have a little over 15k miles. The rears are at the wear bars, the fronts are not far behind. They were much quieter than the BFGs that were on the car when I bought it. I liked them but might get something cheaper next time.
Old 04-01-2012, 02:32 AM
rw229
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

While not the tires you're looking at, I believe they're in the same class / price range... I was very happy with the Dunlap Direzza Star Spec on my 993. Very smooth on the street and great performance on the the track (for a street tire)... just offering another option.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:55 AM
Dino944
Drifting

Originally Posted by llangston1
I've had the Exaltos on my '87 for about 2 years and they have performed well through 2 DEs and 2 driving schools and many road trips. They have a little over 15k miles. The rears are at the wear bars, the fronts are not far behind. They were much quieter than the BFGs that were on the car when I bought it. I liked them but might get something cheaper next time.
Thanks good to know. I'd probably end up changing tires again at some point probably due to age not mileage, but I'm glad to hear they performed nicely for you.

Originally Posted by rw229
While not the tires you're looking at, I believe they're in the same class / price range... I was very happy with the Dunlap Direzza Star Spec on my 993. Very smooth on the street and great performance on the the track (for a street tire)... just offering another option.
Thanks for the suggestion. I had Dunlops on a Porsche years ago, and wasn't thrilled with them. I've generally been happier with Bridgestone and Michelins so that's how I narrowed it down to those. I've also had good experiences with Goodyears and Pirelli but I didn't see anything from those companies that I want to consider at the moment. Thanks again.

Best regards,
Dino

Quick Reply: Any Experience with Bridgestone RE-11 or Michelin Pilot Exalto PE2