Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Key broke off in alarm switch :( Need help on bypassing the alarm...

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 07:44 PM
Marlon Targa 86
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key broke off in alarm switch :( Need help on bypassing the alarm...

Grrr!! Broke off the alarm switch key and it's still in there. Having a locksmith come out to pry it out (hopefully). That's something they should be able to get out, right?

I know about potentially getting a blank key cut to a new alarm key.

But, worst case I might have to bypass the alarm. In that case, anyone can tell me how to do it? I'm not proficient with the electrical stuff, so please specify what wires (color) I need to alter to get it to start. The alarm unit is behind the fresh air blower, right?
Old 03-13-2012, 07:51 PM
Marlon Targa 86
Racer

Just found this. Is this correct?

1. Remove the negative battery cable.
2. Remove the fresh air handler in the front trunk.
3. Looking into the trunk, the alarm module will be on the left side of the car. Mine had 10 wires coming from it.
4. Find the blue and blue/red wires leaving the unit. They are located in the #61 terminals. Cut these wires and connect the ends that lead away from the alarm (make a good permenant connection, you don't want to have to take the air handler out again). Cap off the ends at the alarm module.
5. Cut the black wire leaving the alarm module. It is in terminal 87A. Cap off the end at the alarm module. Connect the end leading away from the module to another piece of wire and connect that to the bottom of the #8 fuse (which is actually the 11th one back, counting from rear of car to front).
6. Reconnect negative cable on battery and start the car.
7. If you want to put a manual "kill switch" in, install an in-line toggle switch on the black wire before the fuse box.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:53 PM
1986 Targa
Instructor

Location: Manhattan Beach, California. Retired Engineer 1986 Targa-Factory Delivery Original Owner
Default Alarm By-pass.

Originally Posted by Marlon Targa 86
Grrr!! Broke off the alarm switch key and it's still in there. Having a locksmith come out to pry it out (hopefully). That's something they should be able to get out, right?

I know about potentially getting a blank key cut to a new alarm key.

But, worst case I might have to bypass the alarm. In that case, anyone can tell me how to do it? I'm not proficient with the electrical stuff, so please specify what wires (color) I need to alter to get it to start. The alarm unit is behind the fresh air blower, right?
Hope this helps:

Good luck,

Gerry
Attached Images  
Old 03-13-2012, 08:04 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's going to be much easier to take the switch out of the door, and take it in to a locksmith, who will make you a new key.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:24 PM
Marlon Targa 86
Racer

So, I recognize the 61 terminals. I'll cut those and connect them. So far so good. I'll cut the wire coming out 87 and connect that to Fuse 8.

BUT, what the 5 terminal on right, indicated by the "alarm bypass" graphic?

Originally Posted by 1986 Targa
Hope this helps:

Good luck,

Gerry
Old 03-13-2012, 08:25 PM
Marlon Targa 86
Racer

Ok, how do I do that?

Originally Posted by rusnak
It's going to be much easier to take the switch out of the door, and take it in to a locksmith, who will make you a new key.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:29 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

You're going to have to do it at some point anyway, so for now forget about cutting wires (!).

The door pocket is easy with phillips and flat head screwdrivers. The door handle comes off with an allen key (long) and some needle nose pliers to disengage the door lever. Use a plastic spatula (the kind you flip pancakes with) to pry the door panel off the door clips.

Be sure to raise the window before you remove the window switches with needle nose pliers. Be sure to write down the wire color/ schematic on some scratch paper.

The alarm switch merely comes out with a hex nut. You need to use a wrench on the nut, and out it comes. There are some spade type connectors on the switch. No biggie.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:33 PM
Marlon Targa 86
Racer

Cool. Do you think a locksmith can get that broken off part that's still in the alarm switch, out with the switch in place ?

Originally Posted by rusnak
You're going to have to do it at some point anyway, so for now forget about cutting wires (!).

The door pocket is easy with phillips and flat head screwdrivers. The door handle comes off with an allen key (long) and some needle nose pliers to disengage the door lever. Use a plastic spatula (the kind you flip pancakes with) to pry the door panel off the door clips.

Be sure to raise the window before you remove the window switches with needle nose pliers. Be sure to write down the wire color/ schematic on some scratch paper.

The alarm switch merely comes out with a hex nut. You need to use a wrench on the nut, and out it comes. There are some spade type connectors on the switch. No biggie.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:56 PM
1986 Targa
Instructor

Location: Manhattan Beach, California. Retired Engineer 1986 Targa-Factory Delivery Original Owner
Default '86 Alarm CKT.

Originally Posted by Marlon Targa 86
So, I recognize the 61 terminals. I'll cut those and connect them. So far so good. I'll cut the wire coming out 87 and connect that to Fuse 8.

BUT, what the 5 terminal on right, indicated by the "alarm bypass" graphic?
That's pin #15.

The "1" is obscured by the red line.

Here is the CKT from my factory manual.

The black/red wire goes from pin #15 to fuse #7.

(The 10th fuse from the far left on the fuse panel.)

pm me as needed.

Gerry
Attached Images  
Old 03-13-2012, 09:06 PM
1986 Targa
Instructor

Default Fuse #7 location.

Alarm fuse location.
Attached Images  
Old 03-13-2012, 09:42 PM
Marlon Targa 86
Racer

So, what do I need to do with the wire that comes out of 15 and goes to fuse 7?

Originally Posted by 1986 Targa
Alarm fuse location.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:04 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

Friggin' alarms are a pain. Cutting wires never does anyone any good. I concur with Rusnak.

I always felt an agreed value insurance policy was the best defense.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:25 PM
Marlon Targa 86
Racer

Well, tomorrow I'm having the car locksmith guy come out. Hopefully he can get it out and rekey me a new key. Will prob cost me $150 >
Old 03-14-2012, 12:48 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Any good locksmith will be able to get the old key out, and cut a new key for about $25. Take the old switch out, and drop it off at the shop if you can.

Quick Reply: Key broke off in alarm switch :( Need help on bypassing the alarm...