Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

almost got a ticket

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 07:17 PM
salukijac
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been lucky...I've been pulled over twice in the 911. Both times the officer let me go.

The first I was doing about 100 MPH in a 75 zone and passing on the right hand lane...I know, I know. The dudes on the left hand lane would not move over. I punched it and went around them on the right. I noticed the cop sitting on the side of the road, I slammed the brakes and get clocked at 86 MPH. The officer asked, "how fast do you think you were going"? I replied, 85? He responds, "actually 86 but since you didn't lie to me, I'll let you go." Phew, that was lucky.

The second I was doing 55 MPH in a 40 zone but the kicker is, it was 3:00 AM. When the cop pulled me over he asked where I was coming from. I said work...he asked "work"? I responded, yes I'm a Defense Contractor working at Schriever AFB. He checks my driver's license, insurance and registration and returns to my car. He says, "I'm going to let you go, I know how these little beasts can get away from you sometimes, be safe." That line was classic.
Old 03-09-2012, 12:41 AM
tr4guy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I started this thread I didn't think I'd get so many responses. I think I didn't get a ticket that day because I was honest and because the officer really didn't know how fast I was going when I passed him. He had to write down a speed for the ticket and he didn't actually know that. So he pulled me over, had a polite conversation with me and said to slow it down and be careful. He did what he could at the time. I did slow down and remebered his request for a lot of miles.....
Old 03-09-2012, 05:41 AM
WPOZZZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

If you guys are ever in Hawaii, just watch out how you drive. We have lots of marked blue and whites, but the majority of the motor patrolmen drive subsidized vehicles. These are privately owned officer vehicles for which they receive a monthly stipend for its use. We have G35s, Mustangs, Camaros, Chargers, Camrys and SUVs such as 4Runners, Pilots, Durangos, Pathfinders, Tahoes, Yukons...
Old 03-09-2012, 02:36 PM
mstier
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since folks are telling their stories, I'll tell my favorite, even though I've recounted it here before.

It happened on Llewellyn Circle in Englewood, NJ, about ten years ago. The fact that Llewellyn Circle's a circle is important. It's a residential street, speed limit 25 mph, and that's all I was doing. But I got pulled over, and the cop was hopping mad, because I hadn't seen him for a bit, until he turned on his siren and I looked right. It's a circle, after all.

So he comes up to me and screams for my license, registration and insurance card. I fumble and hand them to him, and it turns out I gave him an old insurance card. He comes back and yells at me, asking if that's the way I drive in Tenafly, the adjacent town where I lived at the time. I asked what he was talking about, very politely, but firmly, and he said I was doing 40 in a 25 mile an hour zone. Again politely, I asked if I could get out of the car so I could see something, showing my hands. He agreed, and I asked if I could see his radar gun. He showed it to me, in his car, fixed to the windshield. I said it rotates with the steering wheel, right? and he said no. I said, so it's fixed straight ahead, then. At that point I couldn't help myself, and said, well, we're on a circle, so you just caught yourself a 40 mile an hour house or telephone pole. Fortunately he was smart enough to know I was right, but he wrote me up for giving him an expired insurance card. Wouldn't let me give him the correct one, and made me go to court to fix that problem, which took half a day.

And that may be the only time I've ever talked my way out of a ticket. Certainly in the 911, although I've only had one other.

Quick Reply: almost got a ticket