Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Another strange "whirring" noise to diagnose...

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 04:25 PM
jclanin
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another strange "whirring" noise to diagnose...

Hi all,

My car has been doing this for about a week now. I'm about to do some brake and suspension work so while I'm at it all try to explore and fix this problem.

I'm hearing a 'whirring' noise from the right rear (I think). It speeds up and elevates in pitch as I accelerate. It happens whether I'm in gear or not.

From the bit of research I've done so far it seems like a wheel bearing issue so I may just replace bearings all around. But I'd like to hear from some of the more experienced 'gear heads' on this forum...

Any ideas?

thanks!
Old 02-18-2012, 09:46 PM
jclanin
Rennlist Member

Anyone?
Old 02-18-2012, 11:54 PM
Reiver
Drifting

Received 114 Likes on 76 Posts

Could be a bearing...my bearing wearouts usually clicked or did a rhythmic clunck. Jack up the car so that both rears are off the ground and check one side against the other for freeplay and noise when spun etc.
Noises heard in the cabin can be deceptive as to location.
Old 02-19-2012, 05:30 PM
jclanin
Rennlist Member

Thanks Reiver -

I raised the car and remove the wheels today. Passenger side rear spins freely. Drivers side does not - it sticks very hard 3/4 away around and then spins smooth for just a bit. I also do hear a slight noise that I would describe as bearing-ish on both sides when rotating.

My rotors and pads are pretty shot so I think I'll order both all around as well as new inner/outer bearings. Gonna replace my front control arm bushings while I'm at it and I suppose I might as well replace my original brake lines...

I'm a 'scratch my head and stare for a while' kind of guy so my car may be out of commission for a bit. At least it looks cool on my new Esco jack stands!
Old 02-19-2012, 06:20 PM
Reiver
Drifting

Received 114 Likes on 76 Posts

Well you found the issue and if the rotors etc need doing a good time to fix it all up. How are the shocks while you are there....good looking car btw, nice color.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:13 PM
jclanin
Rennlist Member

Thanks - just replaced the shocks a few months back... that was fun
Old 02-19-2012, 10:11 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It could be the bearings. Could be CV joints. Try coasting in neutral with the windows down. Hard to diagnose with the car on jackstands.
Old 02-20-2012, 09:02 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,015 Likes on 722 Posts

yeah and make sure that caliper isnt dragging .. may be time to rebuild the caliper .
Old 02-20-2012, 06:05 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A dragging caliper can be diagnosed by putting your hand on the wheel center (outside, not the rotor), or observing a lot of brake dust on one wheel.

Generally speaking, CV joints make a clicking sound when they're going bad and wheel bearings make a growling or howling sound like a supercharger.

The rear wheel bearing replacement is not too hard with the right puller, but you must make sure that the hub nut is torqued up to the required 220-ish (?) torque or the job will need to be done again.

Quick Reply: Another strange "whirring" noise to diagnose...