Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2003, 05:54 PM
ray40
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post whats that fan in my trunk?

I am a VERY HAPPY new owner of a 87 911 -

I was perusing the trunk and wondering
about the fan that is mounted right next to the jack . Mine is disconnected at the moment- what is it for? I see nothing in the manual about it.
thanks in advance.

rq
Old 05-26-2003, 06:38 PM
Chris Bennet
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It blows over one of the AC condensers.
-Chris
Old 05-27-2003, 03:01 PM
CrossT
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Unless it is dead, it should be connected. The A/C in these needs all the help it can get.

todd
Old 05-28-2003, 11:36 PM
MM83targa
Intermediate

If it is dead, don't plug it in. This is a fairly common cause of fires. Motor burns out, stalls, pulls high current, and your harness goes up in flames.
Old 05-29-2003, 08:05 PM
Perkins
Advanced

as mentioned, its the fan that draws air from the condensor just below (and activated by the speed switch in your center console). Works in combination with the blower - in the smugglers box - also in your trunk.

pull it all out. cleaner trunk and lighter car.
(neat trick is to then place your battery in the smugglers box) and free up some additional space.
Old 05-29-2003, 09:38 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Perkins,

Another neat trick after placing the battery in the smugglers box is to then use 4 guage welders cable and run the cable out of the box on the bottom, and then under the car and connect the battery ground directly to the the bolt on the transaxle where the ground strap bolts to (keeping the ground strap, but that now grounds the car from the engine). As these cars get older, they loose some of their grounding capability. What you will probably find is that your engine is running better as it now has a better ground helping the spark plugs spark......

I did this with my '84 Euro 911, and it made a NOTICABLE improvement (I already had good plugs, wires, coil, etc), and it is CHEAP (total cost around $10-12 with cable straps).
Old 05-30-2003, 12:44 AM
tchanson
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by MM83targa:
<strong>If it is dead, don't plug it in. This is a fairly common cause of fires. Motor burns out, stalls, pulls high current, and your harness goes up in flames.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">True enough, as far as it goes, but instead of disconnecting it, I would suggest the simple factory retrofit that takes 5 minutes and costs about $20.

A TSB was issued in 8-88 (#8803) that outlined the addition of a 7.5 amp fuse to the power cable going to the condenser motor. The fan power is normally switched on by a relay and an independent lead straight from fuse 20. As that fuse is hot all the time, a stuck relay could run the fan continuously, which may cause it to fail. The TSB refers to the revised, fused wiring harness (#911.612.077.00) which can be easily retrofitted to all pre 8-88 cars.

Without the update, it is indeed a legitimate fire hazard, but, instead of just disconnecting the condenser fan, it would make more sense to me to reftrofit the cheap, simple plug-in fused factory harness that (a) eliminates the hazard and (b) gives the marginal (at best) A/C system all the help you can.

Good luck,
Tim

Quick Reply: whats that fan in my trunk?