Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

My 1978 3.0 L head stud replacement thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 12:00 AM
Brett San Diego
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dhagood
my condolences on the state of your bearings. i don't think i've ever seen visible metal shavings on the crank like that without catastrophic engine damage (although there was obviously serious damage before, your engine supposedly had been repaired).

your decision to open the case is looking better and better. i don't see how the engine could have kept together in its current state.
I should have mentioned I'm pretty sure the shavings and other tiny metal bits or other chunks of stuff are from removing the head studs or other work during tear down. I don't think they are from the bearings or wear from the running engine. Knowing that I was tearing the engine down completely and sending to a machine shop for thorough cleaning, I did not take great pains to prevent intrusion of junk into the engine case during tear down.

Brett
Old 10-08-2011, 12:01 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

I don't know. It could also be somewhat of a testament to how strong these engines are. No known symptoms seemingly, other than the broken stud, but look what was going on inside.
Old 02-21-2012, 12:36 AM
Brett San Diego
Burning Brakes

Back in the game!! Engine case and all parts went to the machine shop this afternoon. Lots of cleaning and evaluation to start out with.

Brett
Old 02-21-2012, 03:06 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 79 Posts

Hey Brett,

I just read your other thread in the PP engine rebuild forum and that reminded me that your bores did have some scores on it… I had forgotten… I hope your search for good replacements yields good results. If you haven’t already, you might want to give Don Weaver at EBS a call (EBS = Engine Builder’s Supply http://www.ebsracing.com/ ).

I am getting my new Mahle P’s & C’s from him at a price that is significantly better than what I’ve seen anywhere else. Not sure if he will have your fitment available… He also seems to be knowledgeable about other options and may be a helpful person to talk to as well.

I do hope that you get good news back from the machine shop on all the other bits.

Allan

EDIT: One extra little positive about going with new Mahles (if available) is that they come complete with rings, piston pins and circlips (it all helps!!)
Old 02-21-2012, 04:34 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

Plus, the set looks like a box full of jewels.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:03 PM
Brett San Diego
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 500_19B
Hey Brett,

I just read your other thread in the PP engine rebuild forum and that reminded me that your bores did have some scores on it… I had forgotten… I hope your search for good replacements yields good results. If you haven’t already, you might want to give Don Weaver at EBS a call (EBS = Engine Builder’s Supply http://www.ebsracing.com/ ).

I am getting my new Mahle P’s & C’s from him at a price that is significantly better than what I’ve seen anywhere else. Not sure if he will have your fitment available… He also seems to be knowledgeable about other options and may be a helpful person to talk to as well.

I do hope that you get good news back from the machine shop on all the other bits.

Allan

EDIT: One extra little positive about going with new Mahles (if available) is that they come complete with rings, piston pins and circlips (it all helps!!)
Thanks Allan. I did not realize that about the Mahle P&C sets. Good to know. As I was loading up my parts I came across the wrist pins and thought to myself. Wonder if I'll need new ones of those, too.

Brett
Old 02-27-2012, 02:13 PM
Brett San Diego
Burning Brakes

I just met with the machine shop owner this morning to go over the parts. The shop is Motorworks in National City. It's pretty much all good news. The fellow is an older gentleman and has been in the game for a while. I'd call him old school with regard to cost issues, and he was clearly concerned with keeping costs to his customer (me) reasonable. He lamented with me over the cost of new 912 piston and cylinder sets as he's got some 912 stuff going on, saying he used to buy 912 and 356 sets for a couple hundred back in the day. He said he doesn't give out ball park estimates anymore because parts costs are rising so fast. I like him. He's a very practical guy.

Anyway, he's all about re-using what can be reasonably re-used. His recommendation for my pistons and cylinders was to re-use them. They measured fine, and he was not concerned with any wear as he assured me a honing will take care of the surface. He does want to replace one cylinder with a good used one as there was an impact mark at the top likely from a valve. The gouge was above the ring contact area, which was not a problem, but it cut into the top edge where the cylinder meets the head. He didn't like the possibility that the top edge near the head gasket could be weakened, and he felt that the head sealing could be compromised in the long-term, so he wanted to replace it. I'm fine with all of this. I'm not hot rodding this engine or planning on racing. I just want a 3.0 L that runs reasonably well, and will be good for a while once this is done. Perfectly fine with keeping the old cylinders and sourcing one good used one. This engine won't be getting many miles anyway, and stock or near stock performance is good for me.

For the heads, the valve guides were worn and will be replaced. Valves were all good and will just be reground. We will re-use the valve springs and other hardware. The cylinder/head interface will be resurfaced. Camshafts will be sent out to a grinder that he uses often. I didn't bring him my rockers thinking I'd send them myself to a Pelicanparts forum recommended person. But, I think I'll bring them in and at least let him look at them and give an opinion. We will replace the one timing chain gear on the intermediate shaft that had the chunks taken out of a couple of teeth.

The case was good. No issues. The crankshaft was also perfect. No cracks by magnaflux, and it measured to standard specs just fine with no wear issues. The rough patches on the rod journals that I thought were wear in my earlier posts were not wear, but rather they were spots of metal transfer to the journal. It's bearing metal that has stuck to the journal. It will come off with a routine polish of the journals. Lesson learned. I'll be buying a set of standard size crank and rod bearings. Whew.

The big ends of the rods were slightly enlongated and will be resized. Wrist pin bushings will be replaced. Flywheel will be resurfaced. I will have the crankshaft, flywheel, and new pressure plate assembly balanced. Rods will be balanced.

The pitting that I pointed out in the camshaft housing bearing journals is not a concern. His comment was "oil reservoirs," as I had heard from others either here or on Pelican. Everything measured fine, and the camshaft housings will be re-used.

In total, it looks like I'll be under $2000 for the machine shop part. And, I won't be taking taking out a second mortgage for new pistons and cylinders. That makes me happy. Maybe I'll rebuild my 915 with all that extra cash I'm going to have lying around. lol

Brett

Last edited by Brett San Diego; 02-27-2012 at 02:43 PM.
Old 02-27-2012, 04:59 PM
PA77
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking forward to the rebuild!
Old 02-27-2012, 05:30 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Hey Brett,

That all sounds really good! The work you're having done sounds pretty similar to my situation. Also, my bill was nominally $2K too, but Brent gave me a nice discount off of that as he took both my old cylinder sets for re-boring cores for race motors. Of course, that discount only partly offsets the cost of the new P's & C's!
Old 03-16-2012, 04:58 AM
Jonathon Rolstin
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Very good thread Brett, I admire your work, and you are doing the right thing by reusing as much as you can.
Old 03-16-2012, 01:19 PM
Brett San Diego
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jonathon Rolstin
Very good thread Brett, I admire your work, and you are doing the right thing by reusing as much as you can.
Thank you for the kind words.

Yesterday and today were homecoming day for the parts. Just picked up the last of it this morning, the assembled cylinder heads.

I have a bunch of pics, and I'll post the final reckoning with the machine shop. It was just a hair over $2000. I thought I'd be under, but it was close.

Brett
Old 03-16-2012, 02:28 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Great stuff!!!

I am looking forward to the pictures!

Are you planning to start the build up very soon?
Old 03-18-2012, 12:58 AM
Brett San Diego
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 500_19B
Great stuff!!!

I am looking forward to the pictures!

Are you planning to start the build up very soon?
I don't think it will be really soon. I'm not pushing this project hard. I've got a bit of final painstaking cleaning to finish on the case and some other parts, that I'm not too excited about undertaking. lol Still have some parts to purchase, too. Bearings, rod bolts, 12 intake side head studs, for example.

Brett
Old 03-18-2012, 01:08 AM
Brett San Diego
Burning Brakes

Here are pics of parts back from the machine shop. I've got 22 pics that I'll split into a few posts.

Pic 1 and 2. One of the cleaned camshaft housings. Cleaned by the machine shop's "dishwasher." It's a hell of a lot better than it was, but as you can see, there is still some stubborn residue to remove using good old-fashioned elbow grease.

Pics 3-5. The cleaned engine case. Again, still some stubborn case sealant and gasket residue to be removed before reassembly begins.
Attached Images      
Old 03-18-2012, 01:25 AM
Brett San Diego
Burning Brakes

Remember this timing chain gear on the intermediate shaft?

Its history.

Reground camshafts courtesy of a nearby outfit called Schneider Racing Cams. Not much to see through the plastic bags, but I didn't want to take them out. It would be an oily mess.

Schneider gives you their own cam assembly lube to use.
Attached Images     

Quick Reply: My 1978 3.0 L head stud replacement thread