Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   911 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/911-forum-56/)
-   -   My 1978 3.0 L head stud replacement thread (https://rennlist.com/forums/911-forum/650271-my-1978-3-0-l-head-stud-replacement-thread.html)

Brett San Diego 09-01-2011 05:31 AM

Ice: Broken stud was on #3 exhaust side. Yeah, I know people remove the air injection. I'm embroiled in an internal debate with myself whether to do so. I kind of want to leave everything factory original given this is (or was) a concours car, but... this system is just archaic, and I don't know if the smog pump and air injection valve that are on it now are actually functioning. But then, I'm thinking some SSI heat exchangers would be cool down the road, so there goes my factory original thinking, so why bother keeping the air injection... Decisions, decisions.

Ed: I need to clean the area up and have a better look at the fins, but I don't think they're broken off. I'll get a closer look when the heads are off. I got a question for you. I've pretty much made the decision to have the heads refurbished. The oil pooled against the one intake valve bothered me, and I figured, I'm in here now, just do it. Upon reading posts on the matter, it appears the cost wasn't as high as I thought (around $1000 versus I thought around $3000). 2 questions actually. Where to send the heads? Any recommendations for something local so I don't have to ship them. And, if I'm having the heads refurbished does it matter what cylinder they came from? Should I still label them and put them back on the same cylinder they came from? It would seem to matter less, if you're having all of them redone.

Brett

Ed Hughes 09-01-2011 08:54 AM

I don't believe it matters on remounting on the same cyl after refurbimg, but I'm superstitious, and did it anyway. I used a punch on the bottom fin to mark them.

There is a machine shop in Chula Vista or thereabouts that I had some chamfering down at. They advertise in the PCA Windblown rag. I not sure about a complete head rehab though. Ollies is in Lake Havasu and know their stuff, and I believe Competition Engineering a bit north of us that has a good rep.

I mounted mine to a piece of 1/2" ply and then put them in a box to CA from TX. That worked well to ship. Insured the hell out of them too.

Brett San Diego 09-01-2011 02:22 PM

Thanks, Ed. Good tip on shipping. The "missing" fins on the cylinder head are not completely missing. Just a little of the top is not there as you can see in the picture. Like I said, it didn't look broken or even machined that I could tell. Looked like it was cast that way... But, I'll report more later.

I just called Dieter's, and they use Motor Works. They guy at Dieter's said Chula Vista, but it looks like their address is actually National City. That's probably who you're talking about. I have seen their ads in The Witness. I think that's good enough for me. I'd prefer not to ship the heads.

Brett

jakeflyer 09-01-2011 02:40 PM

""I think that's good enough for me. I'd prefer not to ship the heads.""

I agree. This has been a bad month for me with stuff lost.

500 09-01-2011 07:04 PM

Re shipping:

Brett, as you know from my recent thread, I am having the heads re-built now too. I originally was thinking of shipping them to one of the gurus in the U.S., but I have had things lost in business shipments, even with FedEx (rare, but it has happened). As such, I decided to find a local shop that can do the work. Luckily the Toronto area has some very good ones.

Sure, you can insure stuff to the hilt, but it would be a huge pain. I think our choices to "go local" make a lot of sense, where practical.

BTW, interested in starting a support group for "WYIT" sufferers?

theiceman 09-01-2011 08:02 PM

i'm joining

only reason i am not changing my $2.00 oring between the chain box and cam tower ? .. figure it will cost me about 5 grand ..

Ed Hughes 09-01-2011 09:34 PM

It is Natl City. I'm not too impressed with what they did to my valve stem seals. Hopefully, you have better luck...

Originally Posted by Brett San Diego (Post 8835734)
Thanks, Ed. Good tip on shipping. The "missing" fins on the cylinder head are not completely missing. Just a little of the top is not there as you can see in the picture. Like I said, it didn't look broken or even machined that I could tell. Looked like it was cast that way... But, I'll report more later.

I just called Dieter's, and they use Motor Works. They guy at Dieter's said Chula Vista, but it looks like their address is actually National City. That's probably who you're talking about. I have seen their ads in The Witness. I think that's good enough for me. I'd prefer not to ship the heads.

Brett

Brett San Diego 09-02-2011 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by theiceman (Post 8836722)
i'm joining

only reason i am not changing my $2.00 oring between the chain box and cam tower ? .. figure it will cost me about 5 grand ..

That's pretty funny, but probably true. I've got oil grunge emanating from those cam O-ring locations, too. The cylinders are still a big unknown. The head refurbishing looks like it will be much cheaper than I was expecting, but I just looked at new cylinders on Pelican Parts. I don't want to have to go there.

Brett

Brett San Diego 09-02-2011 11:55 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Tackled clutch removal last night.

Pressure plate removed. Here's the flywheel in situ.
http://i53.tinypic.com/2l9evs.jpg

Ring gear temporarily bolted to the flywheel to engage the flywheel locking tool so I can remove the flywheel bolts.
http://i51.tinypic.com/339spax.jpg

Flywheel removed. Minimal oil from the rear main seal. Looks good. But, it looks like the rear seal is replaced as a matter of course with the clutch. I see the rear seal is included with the Pelican Parts clutch kit.
http://i54.tinypic.com/2ztc0fb.jpg

Here are the clutch, ring gear, and pressure plate on the bench. No rubber centered clutch.
http://i53.tinypic.com/15wghfd.jpg

The clutch disk is a little over 7 mm thick.
http://i52.tinypic.com/2v16dcm.jpg

How thick is a new clutch disk? What is the minimum spec? I'm thinking I should replace it now. Whoopee!!! There's another $1000.

I'm also in the middle of alternator bearing replacement. I'll put up a full pictorial DIY post when that is done. I'm just waiting for the front bearing to arrive in the mail, and I can put it back together.

Brett

500 09-02-2011 12:54 PM

Brett: Your flywheel looks very good. It should be very easy to resurface (i.e. minimal machining).

Mine was not as good. The disc and pressure plate looked quite new, but the flywheel showed evidence of gouging from rivet in an over-worn disc. It looks to me like the clutch was replced without the flywheel being addressed. As it is, it looks like I still have enough material to machine, so I am lucky.

Looking good!

Originally Posted by theiceman (Post 8836722)
i'm joining

+1,000,000,000.01 That is SOOO funny and SOOO true!

Ed Hughes 09-02-2011 01:20 PM

This is how it all starts.

Im in Chicago, I can look up clutch specs when I am home this weekend.

Brett San Diego 09-02-2011 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by 500_19B (Post 8838429)
Brett: Your flywheel looks very good. It should be very easy to resurface (i.e. minimal machining).

Yeah, it is like a mirror but with some surface rust from sitting for the last 3 years. Machining? I was thinking a little steel wool to knock off the rust and put 'er back in. But, you may be right, a little machining to at least make things perfect...

Brett

500 09-02-2011 04:23 PM

Actually, machining is probably not necessary... Was your clutch action smooth? The only other reason to machine might be if there is a slight warp on the surface...

porsche0nut 09-05-2011 01:24 PM

Fantastic thread Brett... am following with interest! I can't wait to get my hands on a 911 engine..... :thumbup:

Ed Hughes 09-05-2011 04:04 PM

A 911 engine on paper, or in my mind, was/is quite daunting. The reality is, it is just different. It really is straight forward, and there are a lot of parts, but with the exception of checking all of the clearances and ensuring all of the many mating surfaces seal, it makes sense as you put it together.