Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Picking up the new '78 911 ride!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 01:17 PM
Brett San Diego
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking good. Fair price at $8500, I would say. Good job negotiating. I'll be looking forward to following the project. Mine's a 78 as well. It's a been sitting for a couple years awaiting head stud replacement. I'm hoping to start that soon myself. My AC is also dead. What are your plans for your AC?

Brett
Old 07-08-2011, 01:15 AM
rrental
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Brett San Diego
Looking good. Fair price at $8500, I would say. Good job negotiating. I'll be looking forward to following the project. Mine's a 78 as well. It's a been sitting for a couple years awaiting head stud replacement. I'm hoping to start that soon myself. My AC is also dead. What are your plans for your AC?

Brett
Hi Brett, it can get pretty hot here in Kamloops ( yes, its Canada and iglo's do melt..) so we are planning on getting the airco going again.

We are missing the condenser and pump. Comes to the next question, the pump is normally located on the right side, placed on a steel bracket. (2) the car also got a alu bracket on the left side (1) you pro's got any idea? I am a bit confused. I remember the euro version with a pump on the left side, but according to the VIN it's a USA car (91182019**). The owner told me he tought the car was bought in Germany and taken to the USA by army soldiers. I am not sure as it's got the fat bumper at the rear, and again, US VIN number.

Name:  IMG_0897.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  86.8 KB
Can't wait to take it apart! (got to finish the house and other -honey to do stuff - first).......
Old 07-08-2011, 03:45 AM
rrental
Rennlist Member

Figured it out.....No.1 on picture is a bracket for an air compressor or some sort. Built in '77 and '78 for emission control....can do without it. Thank you Pelican website for allowing to research parts brake downs. Where would we be without Internet......

Last edited by rrental; 07-08-2011 at 03:47 AM. Reason: thank you to Pelican.....
Old 07-08-2011, 03:05 PM
Brett San Diego
Burning Brakes

Yes, #1 is the bracket for the air injection pump. Often removed if you don't need it for smog checking.

Here's my 1978 engine compartment with everything there:

I still have the original York "square" compressor. I have no idea if it works, but doubt it. AC upgrades always go with the round Sanden compressor. Griffith's gets good praise for their systems.

I see you're missing the original engine compartment stickers. Possible sign that the car has been repainted.

Brett
Old 07-08-2011, 07:12 PM
rrental
Rennlist Member

Yep it's for sure re-painted..... Need to be done again anyways. Are those stickers still available you think?
Old 07-09-2011, 02:19 AM
Brett San Diego
Burning Brakes

They are. I don't know if from Porsche, but I'm confident there are some reproduction suppliers out there. Google or ask here or over on Pelicanparts.

Brett
Old 07-09-2011, 02:50 AM
rrental
Rennlist Member

Nice looking/clean motor Brett!

Car came back from Provincial Inspection.... Not to bad at all.

-remove tint foil from windows
- electric window defect
- high beam indicator not working
- 4 way flasher indicator not working
- front rotors
- rear brake pads
- emergency brake

Not bad at all. Will do a pressure test this weekend if I can find the time.
Old 07-10-2011, 01:06 AM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 402 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by rrental
Yep it's for sure re-painted..... Need to be done again anyways. Are those stickers still available you think?
Nice car. Congratulations.

Pelican has the engine compartment labels.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/...FILTER_TOOL=ON
Old 07-10-2011, 02:17 AM
Brett San Diego
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rrental
Nice looking/clean motor Brett!
Yeah, thanks. That was my Parade Concours class-winning look from 2007 when the Parade was in San Diego. I had to take a picture. It may never look that good again. It's gathered some dust since then, mostly while sitting. LOL

So are you going with a full aftermarket system with your AC or planning piecemeal replacement? Wondering your strategy, since I'm debating this myself. I feel since the car came with AC originally, I have an obligation to maintain the AC system, although in San Diego, it's not as critical as in other parts of the world.

Good on the inspection. Not much to do to be able to drive it through the summer before the fun begins.

Brett

Quick Reply: Picking up the new '78 911 ride!!