Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   911 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/911-forum-56/)
-   -   first drive after new parts (https://rennlist.com/forums/911-forum/627000-first-drive-after-new-parts.html)

ivangene 04-10-2011 04:05 PM

first drive after new parts

the list:
Koni Sport Gas Shocks front and rear
23 hollow, 30 solid sway away torsion bars
Weltmeister polygraphite bushings front and rear
shimmed forward front A arm down 4mm
Motul 600 fluid

(still to come, Tires/Alignment/corner balance)

impressions:
WOW, i was really worried this was going to be too stiff for daily use, NOT the case... It is very nice! Big points for fitting the bushings (huge PITA with the Weltmeisters) but it drives very nice even with no alignment...(only about 40 mph and did hit some bumps to check) - this took me about 3 weeks to do in my spare time. total hours maybe IDK 20?? maybe less... I really didnt track it. learning curve is steep and I could pull one apart in under an hour/axle now I bet. install maybe about 1.75/axle - the biggest waste of time was the bushings. (removal and fitting new ones) Also the biggest disapointment is the bushings. Lesson learned, if I do in there again I will get the ER polybronze or RS bushings..

so I thought I would post up my experience and let others think about doing it. I rate this moderately easy (maybe a 5 on a 1-10, 10 being engine rebuild) and the car really comes alive from the work. Feels like it just came outta the factory... quite nimble and tight, not too tight or race car rough... I am very happy and will DD the car as it is...

NEXT: - sway bars :evilgrin:
(anyone have some bigger OEM's...IIRC I am looking for 87-89 stock bars)

Shadow was a big help... kept me company during the process... I guess he felt he deserved a little time in the bonnet
http://forums.rennlist.com/upload/041011_3.jpg

whalebird 04-10-2011 04:51 PM

AWESOME. IIRC, there are Carrera M030 bars that may compliment your work here...adjustable rear. Good drop links really help on the rear bar, and there is eurothane front/rear SB bushings that help isolate the bar without being harsh.
Whats the big blue wire for??? and get a bulb in that light. LOL
Indexing the rear TBs require a little work for some perhaps, but is doable and every TB 911 needs this work done by now. That "hand-in-glove" feel only a 911 gives it's driver is in the suspension by in large.
What fun, now go let Shadow out of the trunk.

ivangene 04-10-2011 05:31 PM

LOL - big blue wire is the big bomb box (stereo) that was added before my time,...its a mess of wires and for now I am leaving it alone. RE the light...MEH, if it worked I would have a dead battery or forget I tripped the hood latch and be sorry!

torsion bar angle if you are not changing bars is easy... check, remove and set back where you started...changing bars adds a lot to the job. I used Wil's online calculator along with tribal knowledge at the shop, split the two and was dead on first shot... BTW there is an "APP" for that - I found a coulpe nice free inclinometers that allow you to zero on the sill and just set the angle... pretty cool!

http://forums.rennlist.com/upload/041011a_1.jpg
http://forums.rennlist.com/upload/041011a.jpg

Ed Hughes 04-10-2011 05:34 PM

I think so many cars are riding on crappy old stock bushings, used up shocks and maybe torsion bars without all the "T", that even going stiffer on new bars, firmer on new shocks results in the net total of a better ride. Wait til you align and balance.

ivangene 04-10-2011 06:02 PM

my buddy has a pretty nice 75' that is mostly track and when I pointed out his sagging rear bushings he was shocked. They were not as bad as mine (knew mine were bad from day one, just had to get it all together) but bad enough...he had the new shocks and sways already.....so he will just be out the bushings and alignment but I agree....most cars are saggy and tired unless they have been done. I check every car that I see at the shop and am surprised how many have been done. My indy keeps his customers cars in good shape. Always recommends what they need.

whalebird 04-10-2011 06:06 PM

Is that what they call "low T". I can't stand the commercial.

The earlier cars w/out adjustable spring plates needed a good angle measure indeed.
The align/corner balance will really set it off nice. I would warn though, too low and you couldl damage those new Konis.

whalebird 04-10-2011 06:15 PM

Good legs under a 911 is the best way to make use of the power. A good set up will feel like 10HP.

ivangene 04-10-2011 07:08 PM

thanks for the warning WB

shadopadla 04-11-2011 02:58 PM

It'll be even better once corner balance/ alignment happens! Mine handled much better and bumps much better between shocks/ bushings. Then another huge improvement in sure-footedness after corner balance/ alignment!

Marc Gelefsky 04-11-2011 03:26 PM

Nice! How HP does the dog add?

ivangene 04-11-2011 07:50 PM

that's DP marc !!

whalebird 04-11-2011 08:54 PM

If Shadow is like my dog (100lb lab mix), he can eat like a horse, therefore(from Newtons first law): 1 HP = 1DP
Ed, Have you considered a bump steer kit? Now would be the time. I'm not sure what all is available these day, maybe Racers Edge, but some can be adjusted depending on how low the car ends up.
DO NOT get the steering rack bushings that reposition the rack. It is a nice thing to have.

Ed Hughes 04-11-2011 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by whalebird (Post 8462054)
Ed, Have you considered a bump steer kit? Now would be the time. I'm not sure what all is available these day, maybe Racers Edge, but some can be adjusted depending on how low the car ends up.
DO NOT get the steering rack bushings that reposition the rack. It is a nice thing to have.

Amen to the bushings. They aren't worth their weight in Aluminum. I'm not sure how the droplinks work, but I suppose they would. I raised my spindles, and tst worked well.

ivangene 04-11-2011 11:55 PM

<being lazy>

link? :D

so on my way home I had my indy check out the car... he said it was good, obviously needs alignment but that is coming, as are new tires. I had him spend a few minutes "tweaking" the motor since I added the cat by-pass and adjusted valves... she sure purrs nice now... 1/2 hour well spent.

2specs 04-12-2011 12:41 AM

Wow..missed this thread. Great stuff Ed and congrats on the work. I think this and brakes are my winter projects. Never done it before either, heck I'll buy the beer and pizza if you wanna drive up here.

BTW, what's on your dog's ear?