Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   911 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/911-forum-56/)
-   -   Replaced my brake light switches. (It’s all about having the right tool.) (https://rennlist.com/forums/911-forum/626920-replaced-my-brake-light-switches-itis-all-about-having-the-right-tool.html)

Carrera3.2LG50 04-10-2011 12:59 AM

Replaced my brake light switches. (It’s all about having the right tool.)

5 Attachment(s)
Last week on my way to the VIR open house I learned that I had no brake lights. Checked my fuse and bulbs which were good so I figured it must be the brake light switch.

After some research on Rennlist (and Pelican) I learned exactly what I needed to do. The best piece of advice came from Pete Zimmerman when he recommended using an offset box end wrench.

The two brake light switches are located on the master cylinder. The rear one is a little bit difficult to access and they are both next to hard brake lines. When it’s your turn to replace these I would strongly suggest picking up a 22mm deep offset boxed end wrench. It made the job very easy getting around the hard brake lines.

I learn so much from searching this list. And everytime I do another job I gain more confidence and knowledge about my car. Thanks all!

Many of you already know how to do this, but for those who don’t, I took some pics:

GlennD 04-10-2011 01:20 AM

Paul,

Excellent - much thanks for the tips

Glenn

Carrera3.2LG50 04-10-2011 01:25 AM

You're welcome Glenn.
I'm no mechanical genius but I've gained much knowledge from this forum.
Just trying to give back when I can.

Amber Gramps 04-10-2011 01:38 AM

I've done this job twice in the last 4 years with the exact same tools.

The best tip I got on my first go round was from the dealer's parts counter guy. He said to go to "Save-A-Bug" and buy the VW switches for less than half the price of the Porsche switches. Exact part number, less than half the price.

GothingNC 04-10-2011 11:42 AM

Paul,

Great write up.

Just make sure to not pick up switches made in Brazil.

John

Carrera3.2LG50 04-10-2011 12:16 PM

I got them from Pelican Parts.
The brand was ATE and they were $14.50 each which I thought was OK. Hopefully they will last. (Made in Czech Republic)

theiceman 04-10-2011 03:50 PM

hope they last longer than the Brazillian Ignition coil .. 2 hours for me ..

whalebird 04-10-2011 05:04 PM

Cool write up.
How was VIR?

Ed Hughes 04-10-2011 05:30 PM

Oh no, not the Czech versions!

Carrera3.2LG50 04-10-2011 09:08 PM

Cool write up.
How was VIR?
Appreciate that.
VIR was fun. It was their open house and Bob from Carolinas Region PCA organized charity laps for Ronald McDonald Houses so for $25 you got to drive on the track for a 20 minute session. Not a DE, no instructors, and it was a controlled pace so no helmets required. It was my first time on a track and while I had no idea what I was doing I still had a ton of fun! Methinks a DE will be in my future...

Oh no, not the Czech versions!
LOL.
"Come on, it's Czechoslovakia. We zip in, we pick 'em up, we zip right out again. We're not going to Moscow. It's Czechoslovakia, it's like going into Wisconsin." Bill Murray from 'Stripes'.

whalebird 04-10-2011 09:22 PM

Very nice. I'm carolina's too. I knew they did the VIR charity and I'm glad you went. Please, do a DE as you will gain a LOT. The latest newsletter has a nice calander of events including a Hurricane Region sponsered VIR(south course, although full course is nice)with David Murry providing instruction; both in-class and in-car. You won't regret it at all.

Sorry for the thread drift. Very nice write up however, and Pete Z will never lead you wrong.

Amber Gramps 06-30-2011 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by theiceman (Post 8458541)
hope they last longer than the Brazillian Ignition coil .. 2 hours for me ..

Got you beat. Mine was in and out within minutes when the diameter wasn't right and I went on to find that the negative terminal was broken. :banghead:

Marlon Targa 86 06-30-2011 11:36 PM

Noob question: what do those switches do?

Ed Hughes 06-30-2011 11:40 PM

They turn the brakelights on when you pressurize the M/C by applying the brakes.

Ed Hughes 06-30-2011 11:41 PM

Hey wait, you've been here a couple of years and you've done a few trackdays. Let's drop the NOOB moniker...