Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2002, 11:07 PM
agent325
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts
Post Speakers

I'm Planning on replacing my stock speakers with Dynaudio speakers. My sterio guy tells mw they are better than MB quartz speakers. Is anyone familar with this brand.
Old 02-13-2002, 11:18 PM
aquabat911
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Speaker "quality" is a highly subjective thing. Listen to both and see which ones you like the sound of. I have listened to several top of the line speakers that I just didn't like they sounded. My brother has Boston pros in his car, the ungodly expensive seperates, I cant stand them. Anyway go down, take your CD's and spend some time listening to the music you would normaly listen to, and see, or hear, what you like.
Old 02-13-2002, 11:40 PM
jlkline
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There have been a few recent threads on speakers in the last several weeks that you should look at.

People are saying a lot of good things about the Focal 165 Series. I listened to a set in the audio shop, and they really did sound fantastic, but thats a completely different environment than a 911 (especially a Targa or cab)at speed
Old 02-14-2002, 02:47 AM
Steve W
Racer

Received 106 Likes on 40 Posts
The Focals are crystal clear full and natural sounding, and as you hear them on the demo floor, sound just the same in your 911.
Old 02-14-2002, 09:57 AM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Keep in mind that the sound of a speaker is highly dependent on the rest of the signal path (source material, playback, preamp/amp, xovrs). The higher the "quality" of a speaker, the greater the role of the signal path elements (ie, sound quality potential is limited by the other elements). So, a hi-end speaker demands a hi-end system from end-to-end. Further, the sound of a system is highly dependent on the ambient acoustics of the listening space. Acoustic management of the space is a big issue in (hi-end) car audio (use of acoustic damping, placement, phase control via the xovrs, etc.).
Old 02-14-2002, 11:11 AM
JBrown
Rennlist Member

i own a car audio shop and have an 83 cabriolet and i am in the process of building a very high end system. kevin is right about what he says about the speakers, are as good as everything around them as far as rest of equipment. the install and were and how you place the speakers are important. there are so many good speakers out there it is scary. bostons,mb quarts, diamond audio,jl audio, rockford fosgate,etc. there are so many good companys. before i make a suggestion about what kind i would like to no what kind of deck you are using, are you going to amp the speakers and are you going to use a sub or just interiors. with a little more info i can steer you in the right direction. remember when you listen to speakers in a board at a store or in another car you are getting an idea of how they sound, that is not nessasarally how they are going to sound in your car. every cars acoustics are different. also your budget has alot to do with it. i could go on for ever and bore you. i do sell alot of high end speakers so if you see something you like get a price and i will see what i can do for you. john
Old 02-14-2002, 12:59 PM
Jgordon
Racer

Focal 165's in the doors, and Kenwood 4675's in the rear deck. I'm pretty sure those are the right numbers, I could check if you'd like. They sound great in the car.

Good luck.
Old 02-14-2002, 02:39 PM
OkieRon
Intermediate

Hey JB,

I have a 72 Targa -one speaker hole in the center dash. I am no longer as particular about stereo, (don't need the "Too Short" BOOM BOOM BOOM to outdo the teens in the Civic at the stoplight) But I would like to hear music and a little bass at speed with the top off. Perhaps you could give me some advice. I don't feel the need to buy a Nakamichi with amps,Xovers and Boston Acoustics. As I don't have speaker holes, I am looking at building 6X9 boxes to put in the back floor board and perhaps some smaller speakers somewhere up front- don't want to cut holes in the doors. Then put in a relatively inexpensive Sony system- maybe Xplode (yes I can picture the cringe on your face) . While you deal with high end I'm sure, any ideas about placement of speakers given lack of acoustic engineering in the car. I'm saving up for tires and that engine upgrade so the stereo budget is kind of tight.

Thanks
Ron
Old 02-14-2002, 04:07 PM
Steve W
Racer

Forgot to mention, I just installed the 6 1/2 Focal 165K2s in the doors of a 993, and incredible sound quality, and lots of tight bass. I was amazed that it almost put out as much bass as the 7" Kevlar Focals in my doors. Of course if money were no object, I would install the 7" Focal Utopia 180W. Most folks have no idea how incredibly respected Focal drivers are viewed in the audiophile community. Once you hear them, overpriced Boston Acoustics, MB Quarts, etc. etc. will all fade in the background. Speaker manufacturers use their drivers in their multi thousand dollar systems, such as Wilson Audio's $80,000 Grand Slamm. Here is their website:

<a href="http://www.focal.tm.fr/gb/sommaire.htm" target="_blank">http://www.focal.tm.fr/gb/sommaire.htm</a>
Old 02-19-2002, 10:25 AM
anil999
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Steve

Are you saying that 6.5inch speakers should fit without any modification? My 88 Carrera Coupe currently has the "hi-fi" pack which consists of 13cm midrange with seperate tweeter.

I would like to know if 6.5 inch speakers are a straight forward fit that will require no cutting of metal within the doors.
Old 02-19-2002, 11:10 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
I found that the largest speakers I could put in my 89 coupe were 5 1/4. I surface mounted the tweeter on the dashboard because they are much smaller than the stock tweeter enclosure.
Old 02-19-2002, 11:59 AM
Jgordon
Racer

I threw the 5.25" Focal mids in the doors. I couldn't quite get them to fit the factory cages, so I used the Focal cages. The focal tweeters fit perfectly into the factory holes/cages, they weren't a problem at all. There was a slight issue with the crossovers, but there are several ways around that. I didn't have a problem with fit at all. The Kenwoods could not have fit into the rear deck more smoothly.

Hope it helps.
Old 02-19-2002, 12:19 PM
JBrown
Rennlist Member

Okie, i have not worked on any older porsches, mostly 80 and up. but my suggestion would be to put speakers in the door. if you put box speakers on the floor in the back once you remove the top you are not going to hear a thing. if the car has no collector value it is not hard to cut holes on the doors and install a good set of 6 1/2 in there. i am assuming that the door is similar to an sc door. you do not have to go with a set of components either to get good sound. most companies make an intergraded set of components. that means that the tweeter is mounted on the mid. so it will make the install a little easier. but a good head unit and a good amp on them is important for them to work up to there potential. tell me what kind of budget you are on and i will tell you what to do.
Old 02-19-2002, 12:48 PM
Steve W
Racer

anil999,

You can pretty much fit whatever speaker size you want in your door. The only modification is to cut out the hole of the cardboard door panel if you go larger than the stock 5 1/4". The sheet metal behind it does not need to be altered. I have a 7" driver in my doors, and it fit in fine. The best way to trim the cardboard door panel, is to trim the cardboard equally around the hole, and then refold the leather/vinyl around the edge as the factory did. There is a large variable gap between the cardboard panel, and the sheetmetal behind it that needs to be reinfored, or else your speaker will flop around depending on just the cardboard door panel to support it. If you try to screw the speaker down far enough to screw into the sheetmetal, the door panel will be sucked in too far. I've used a small piece of plywood in between along with some dense closed cell weatherstrip foam on my car, and bondo body filler on a 993(of course mask off both surfaces with some masking tape). Just two different methods.

tweeter grill removed
Old 02-19-2002, 02:13 PM
OkieRon
Intermediate

Hey JB & P Audiophiles

Thanks for the info JB and SW. I would like to keep my stereo budget under $4-500. I missed a set of Focal 165 K2s by 12 bucks on ebay (it sold for $162) the other day- oh well. JB- with that kind of budget- what set up do you recommend? You said something about an "integrated unit." It would be nice to have decent 6.5's in the doors, head unit, small amp, and an 8" or 10" sub in a box behind the seat. Any ideas. As far a door speakers go, I have read that some folks cannot fit 6.5's in the doors. Are there any early p-car folks out there who have cut holes for speakers who want to chime in? (I want to keep it as original as possible but hey, it's a T and I bought it to enjoy, not win the PCA concours) I tried to post some pics of the door to get your opinions about what size can fit.

Thanks Guys

Ron

Quick Reply: Speakers