Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Restore or remember fondly

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 04:59 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would see how much a detailer's shop can get the paint to come back before a re-spray. Car looks totally workable to me. I don't see what the fuss is about.

WB - those look like 9"s and 7"s to me. Plenty of takers if he wants to part this one out.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:13 PM
afinepoint
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sobamaflyer
Your a/c doesn't work because your compressor has no belt :P (I know...everyone likes a little.....)
Ha Ha.

Reg
Old 02-22-2011, 06:19 PM
Carrera51
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 153 Likes on 97 Posts

Love the color of blue. What's it called. That ads value to the car right there. On the surface and based on the photos, this car doesn't look like a candidate for the parts bin. A tired 3.2 isn't all that hard to spot. I remember what mine felt like at 170K miles before the rebuild. You said it feels down on power, check the fuel pump. Found that my fuel pressure was dropping as the revs increased at wide open throttle after hooking up a gauge and driving it. Changed the pump and it was a different car.

Tune it up, put some miles on it. Worry about the AC and top later.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:05 PM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

The blue color sucks = part it out -

How much for the engine? does the 915 have LSD?
Old 02-22-2011, 09:22 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Hahahaha....
Old 04-08-2011, 10:05 AM
afinepoint
Racer

It's . . . alive!

Got her inspected this morning. In the state of Virginia's eyes she's roadworthy.

Even in her present state the car received a compliment at the station.

Also no matter how well she has or has not run one thing is true: Whether a day since the last start or a year the engine always fires and runs on the first turn of the key. Got to love that.

More to come.

Reg
Old 04-08-2011, 11:27 AM
Blk87Targa
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by afinepoint
It's . . . alive!

Got her inspected this morning. In the state of Virginia's eyes she's roadworthy.

Even in her present state the car received a compliment at the station.

Also no matter how well she has or has not run one thing is true: Whether a day since the last start or a year the engine always fires and runs on the first turn of the key. Got to love that.

More to come.

Reg
You never mentioned condition of the engine. With a tired engine, you'll never get the performance you are looking for, and the cost to rebuild will definitely never be recovered when it comes time to sell. If your still on the fence, I'd get a competent shop to do a leakdown and assess the engine's condition, check for any broken headstuds, etc before working on your original list.
Old 04-08-2011, 02:24 PM
Carrera51
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Now that you have it back on the road, change the oil (unless you already have), dump some Techron or Red Line SI-1 fuel injector cleaner in it and drive it. Since it has been sitting, it needs a good long drive to get it nice and warm. Take a ride over to Waynesboro and back. Love the color. Start enjoying it and worry about the A/C and top later.
Old 04-08-2011, 02:54 PM
talane
Instructor

Sell the car. It sounds like that is what you really want to do. I agree with 911sccab. Get something that you want. It'll be cheaper than spending a lot to make the car something that its not.
Old 04-08-2011, 03:00 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Time to let it sit another 5 years.

Or put some good gas in there and enjoy life. Who cares if the paint is not perfect?
Old 04-08-2011, 05:15 PM
dhagood
Intermediate

this post strikes a sympathetic chord with me:

- i also have a '84 targa
- i also have some upkeep issues
- i also have had the car sitting for years on end
- i also have severe money constraints
- i also wondered if it was time to move on

about 7 years ago, i was driving home from vail, colorado. as i was pulling onto the freeway, i heard this rushing noise i couldn't explain. i was running a little late, so i figured it would keep. just as i got into 5th gear at about 65 or so, the trunk lid, which i had not latched down fully, blew back against the windshield. as in, completely against the windshield. thinking about that still causes a little "how could i have been so #$(&%$(# STUPID".

considering what happened, the damage is really pretty minor, but, being a porsche, would cost about 3k to fix (assuming the hinges and the truck lid can be repaired). my insurance provided the funds to fix it.

i got laid off the very next day. the car went into the garage, and i drove it all of 153 miles over the next 6 years. the intervals between driving the car became longer and longer, and one day the battery was flat. i would guess the car didn't move for 4.5 years.

i'd like to say that my life has stabilized, but it hasn't. be that as it may, about 6 months ago i started trying to figure out what to do with the car. the car was filthy dirty inside and out, the paint was badly scratched, the trunk lid and cowl were bent, and it didn't run.

ehh, i said. i've had the car for 17 years, and i kinda figured i'd done the porsche thing. so, what was next?

i'll not bore you with my dalliance on the dark side (buy an old fiat spider and restore it), but as part of my cunning plan i had to get the 911 running in order to sell it. i spend around $700 getting the old gas removed and various fluids and filters replaced. then i took it for a test drive.

there really is nothing quite like the growl a porsche makes when working hard. i'd forgotten how my car feels, and smells, and most of all sounds. this kind of thing either speaks to you or it does not.

then i went to look at an old spider. they are lovely cars, easy to work on, and there are a lot of parts available. but man, a neglected 35 year old car can be really daunting. i started adding up all the tools i'd have to have, and the skills i'd have to gain, and the space i'd have to have. and this doesn't take into account the money it would all take.

i couldn't see how to make that work.

but i do still have a running porsche. that i like very much, and that speaks to me in ways that i can't really articulate.

yes, she's kinda beat up, but i still have the money to fix the body damage. yes, pickup trucks are about as fast as she is, but i drive a porsche, and they drive a pickup truck.

i think i'll keep her.

finally, regarding the fit of the targa top, my top doesn't leak at all. note the fit to windshield frame:
Attached Images  
Old 04-12-2011, 09:24 PM
mclaudio
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

If the engine and tranny are in good shape i.e. not in need of a rebuild, I'd look into turning this car into a dual use track car/fair weather car.

Before I take any car to the track, I'd have to ensure that it is track-worthy anyway i.e. suspension/brakes in tip top shape, etc. Therefore, you'd likely be spending the money to do such work. And since you'll be tracking it and based on the photos, the aesthetics can perhaps wait a bit. As a fair weather car, the targa will likely be off anyway; therefore, you can wait on those as well.
Old 03-12-2014, 04:34 PM
afinepoint
Racer

Got it back after a year at Overstreet European Motors in Gordonsville, Va. I gave him a car that ran he gave me one back that can't - fuel line leak. But among other things the no heat issue is fixed and O2 sensor connected.

I realize and he confirms it would take a lot of $$$$ to properly restore her.

Dhagood this post read a lot differently until I posted it then saw and read your reply. I do love the car but want her to have a good home where some has the time and or cash to do what she so badly deserves.

Paul Overstreet is looking for a buyer. She hasn't left but I miss her already. Sigh.

Reg
Old 03-12-2014, 07:57 PM
parkerfe
Burning Brakes

Received 237 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by ked
if you are $ constrained, why blow $ on a paint job? - the #1 function of paint is to prevent the metal from rusting... beyond that, "all is vanity". & if you want to go to the track, why not just use the Targa? then you won't have to do all the comfort, convenience & appearance items (pricey), just keep it in proper tune.
I agree I would get her in shape and leave the paint as is...at least for now. If original is not important, now is the time to modify-upgrade her like you want.
Old 03-12-2014, 08:03 PM
Carrera51
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I saw the car in person up at Paul's. He kept it inside the whole time it was there. Love the color in person. I think it's worth saving. It runs, but the fuel line at the fuel pump is sweating when the engine is running and it needs the return tubes replaced. I would have been afraid to drive it without replacing the fuel line. The Targa top does need to worked on. Maybe a less expensive alternative would be just to pick up a fiberglass top.

Quick Reply: Restore or remember fondly