Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Mudslingers welcome SC Widebody Price check

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 12:42 PM
Shannon123
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Mudslingers welcome SC Widebody Price check

Ok, I know this is something you Purist will love to slam, but I am looking for objective comments on this car, consequently what better place to aks this question.

Specifically....looking for price check as well.

about me: I am mererly looking for weekend driver that has the look i like. I know lower end 930's come in at this guys asking price and that should be enough to move me up to a 930, however, I have no need for a turbo, would never use it and certainly don't want to maintain it (at least as a driver). I know this type car has severly limited market especially as these things get older, but I am drawn to it due to the beautiful restore that has been done on it.
Old 09-17-2010, 01:00 PM
Brett San Diego
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks really sharp. At that price, could you not find a genuine M-491 Turbo-look cab? I haven't looked around for Turbo looks lately, but I think you could come close. Exact same look, 3.2 L engine, better value potential. A lot going for the genuine article, but that SC looks to be well done. I suppose a genuine Turbo look is not going to be near as fresh as this car, so you're probably looking at the buy in price plus reconditioning costs. Your call.

Brett
Old 09-17-2010, 01:12 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

No Porsche Purists, Please! (thank God, wouldn't want to have any prospects w/ a clue)
if you like the look, get a quality PPI & then (if it passes w/ flying colors) low-ball the hell out of 'em.

however, if it's mud you want...
an SC that's passed through the body shop for a widebody kit (& god-knows-what-else & why) may be a one-of-kind but how is it a collector car? - unless you collect red cars or SCs or Cabs or conversions...
{they might confuse collecting w/ investing, but you shouldn't}.
original powerplant (original painted fan?) - so, how 'bout a look at the build sheet on it being "fully restored" & what was/is the compression test results?
tires on flatstoppers? flannel coat? Lloyd mats? embroidery? oooohhh wow...
+ a "good" interior (does that sound fully restored to you?).
don't think factory Fuchs came in 17s, btw.
enjoy!
Old 09-17-2010, 03:05 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's an interesting SC. I think the price is unfortunately too high. I would probably value it lower than a nice clean original SC in similar condition. So, maybe I dunno.....$20k to $21k ish perhaps?
Old 09-17-2010, 03:24 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

On the plus side you'll probably never wear out the tires.
Old 09-17-2010, 04:55 PM
raspberryroadster
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

seems high, even if widebody conversion has nicely done steel flares. since the conversion is aftermarket, i do not think it fits the sellers description as a "collector's car".
imo you would be better off (same price range) with 964 series cab, lower or same mileage, stronger engine & better trans.......and for not much more than this car there are '92 turbolook from the factory cabs (widebody america roadster) cabs from the 964 series available.
Old 09-17-2010, 05:31 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

First thing I'd do is pop out the odometer and have a look at it's build date to see who is fooling who.
Old 09-17-2010, 05:39 PM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Received 284 Likes on 184 Posts

Also if it's an 82, that means the top was cut off... I don't believe the first cabs arrived on the scene until '83. I don't mind the wide body conversion so much, but I don't like cutting tops off. It would be interesting to know if it left the factory as a targa or a coupe.
Old 09-17-2010, 05:58 PM
smshirk
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It likely started life as a Targa and I understand why a lot of guys might not like it, but I love it. See my avatar. That was an 82 SC with steel widebody conversion, and about 400 HP motor. As info I wasn't able to sell it for much of a premium over the price of SCs when I sold it. Even with receipts for a 20k motor I still got less than the asking price of this car, but that was 10 years ago. It had 60k honest miles on it then and I would pay 25 to get it back now unless it has been trashed. To the OP, if this is the car you like and it checks out, the price is only relative to what you can afford.
Old 09-17-2010, 06:04 PM
kurt0811
Rennlist Member

I have to cast my vote for "overpriced", especially in this market. I'd think low 20's at best, perhaps less, given possible aftermarket widebody conversion. And I know nothing about SC's, but my 87 Carrera cab has, for lack of a better term, an "engine shock absorber", which I believe is unique to cabs, to help minimize torque transfer to the body. Don't think I see it on this car.
Old 09-17-2010, 06:06 PM
Makmov
Drifting

it's a 10K car at best.

It's a cab and likely not a factory one.
It's a AM widebody
Looks like it's been in zero to 60's shop with rear end damage looks like tail lights are busted out.

Probably not factory wheels, probably replicas.
Exactly 75250, I would also suspect the miles
not forthwith with a vin, I would suspect salvage title or other title issues.

For 25k you can get a pretty nice SC. unless you really have a hardon for this car and NEVER EVER plan on getting rid of it - pass.

Last edited by Makmov; 09-17-2010 at 06:28 PM.
Old 09-17-2010, 06:40 PM
Shannon123
Burning Brakes

Wow, you guys are incredible with your insight/detective work. I thought I had gained some perspective on these cars after having been studying these things for a few months now, but I have learned more in this thread than I could have ever imagined.

1. No '82 CAB sc's....I'd never have thought about that one.
2. I looked at the zero to 60 website and just plain missed the car in question that is in the picture posted here.....great find !!
3. The tires on it will never wear out.....lol, I like that one !!

I emailed the guy about Q's 1 and 2....he did tell me he had more than 45k in the car, if so, he is indeed burried beyond repair and if he cut the roof off to make it a CAB that would add up fast as well.....anyhow, I'll see what he says and post back here..Thanks again for educating me as to what the car REALLY is.

Last edited by Shannon123; 09-17-2010 at 08:28 PM.
Old 09-18-2010, 09:29 AM
JBrown
Rennlist Member

1st yr of the cab was 83. I have one. I did a conversion wide body on mine as well as turbo motor and many other things.. The 2 things I dont like is a convered targa and maybe heavy accident . I also think the price is high.. I dont know about 10,000 for the car but 25,000 for a conversion is high.. For a couple of dollars more you can get an original turbo..
Old 09-18-2010, 12:29 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

I love it when guys who customize their cars think they can recoup the lion's share of their investment.
Old 09-18-2010, 02:37 PM
Shannon123
Burning Brakes

Jbrown...that car you have looks AWESOME !!

Guys, while were on the widebody AM, this is the other car I was kinda kicking around.

Its had an engine and tranny rebuild and its an 85 Carrera with Widebody after market. IF you guys can rip this one up, then I just need to sit around and wait longer for more inventory to come along.

Quick Reply: Mudslingers welcome SC Widebody Price check