Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

It's the little things.... stripped transmission drain plug.

Old 09-24-2010, 08:36 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,011 Likes on 718 Posts

The general problems with easy out is this ... they tend to be really really hard steel .. But what makes steel hard also makes it brittle . You will get no warning if this decides to bust on you . I have had very little success with any easy out .. because it stripped in the first place or if it was a bolt sheared off in the first place because the th threads were bonded.

i just don't get how peolpe think an easy out will work where a bolt for example that was forged as one friggen piece breaks off because it is so tight .. yet drilling a hole and putting a seperate piece in will work ..i dunno maybe it is just me ..
Old 09-24-2010, 09:28 AM
psychoideas
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by theiceman
The general problems with easy out is this ... they tend to be really really hard steel .. But what makes steel hard also makes it brittle . You will get no warning if this decides to bust on you . I have had very little success with any easy out .. because it stripped in the first place or if it was a bolt sheared off in the first place because the th threads were bonded.

i just don't get how peolpe think an easy out will work where a bolt for example that was forged as one friggen piece breaks off because it is so tight .. yet drilling a hole and putting a seperate piece in will work ..i dunno maybe it is just me ..
I think the act of drilling the hole (vibration), coupled with the missing material (the hole), and the heat generated, all "assist" in breaking the original bolt's bond. Also the cooling process (after the drilling) allows some shrinkage into the space left by the hole. All things together sometimes assist in the removal process. I've had success before but I've also had failures.
It's best to use a left hand drill if you have one but unfortunately the 'garden variety' extraction tools are tapered and if the remaining bolt is too thin walled the extraction tool spreads the thin material, wedging it into the hole.
Start small, work up, pray
Old 09-24-2010, 08:42 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,011 Likes on 718 Posts

Well maybe I should get a drill from you frank .. I hear the drills go the other way down there ... or was that bathtub draining ..
I have actually found I have had more suces in my later years as I have more patience and have gotten smarter .. usually bolts have been hammered with chemicals heat and vibration these days before i even start ..
Old 09-24-2010, 09:37 PM
RShepHorse
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'd try what I did first, use a BFH and a chisel and try to knock the lip of the nut inward just a fraction- I think this broke some of the bonding between the plug and the case, then use a bolt extractor- at least you cant -get filings in the case, beak off an easy out, have a non-drivable car. If the big bolt extractor did not work you could always then drill away.

Also, there seem to be different easy outs, Craftsman had some large square sided ones that looked very robust and much less likely to break off than the drill-bit-like ones.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: It's the little things.... stripped transmission drain plug.