Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   911 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/911-forum-56/)
-   -   1974 Pricing Help (https://rennlist.com/forums/911-forum/544740-1974-pricing-help.html)

Trader220 01-13-2010 10:37 AM

1974 Pricing Help

I have a good friend who may want to sell his 1974 911 Coupe. Bahama Yellow with tan interior. 100% original with all paper work, COA and Original sticker, no paint work, no non OEM parts, every service record, second owner. He worked at a Porsche dealer for many years. Stunning all original car No sunroof.

He is considering a sale and I am just trying to get some other opinions on its value.

All opinions are appreciated, thanks

whalebird 01-13-2010 10:44 AM

I'll give him $2k

Trader220 01-13-2010 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by whalebird (Post 7219286)
I'll give him $2k

Gee thanks thats very helpful

g-50cab 01-13-2010 12:08 PM

I'd find out what this guy is asking to get a range

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...nal-clean.html

Even with a better paint color - I'd think high teens/low 20's tops.

Trader220 01-13-2010 12:11 PM

Thanks Jer

mck911 01-13-2010 12:25 PM

Real world comp: Just bought a 74 (yellow green) with 46k miles on it. It was a two owner, FL only car that had been sitting in a garage for quite a while. Since my dad's shop had maintained this car the entire time the 2nd owner had it (about 20 years) so we knew it pretty well. The car wasn't running, but that wasn't a big concern for me because it ran flawlessly 5 years ago (the last time out of the garage) and we have all of the history. It too is all original, the paint was fair (i'm having it resprayed), interior is perfect, factory air. I paid $6,000 for the car.

Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems 01-13-2010 12:31 PM

Without knowing the car's mileage, mechanical condition, and options, its difficult to offer an accurate assessment. I've seen such perfect 74's run from $8K to $14K as these are smog-exempt in almost every state.

Trader220 01-13-2010 12:44 PM

1974 911 S with 57k miles, all service records, plus COA and original sticker. 2 owners, 100% oem on all parts. Mechanical updates ... chain tensioners and pop off valve. Cosmetic and mechanical condition exceptional. NO RUST no issues, NO sunroof. Runs, shifts, drives as it did from the factory.

I appreciate the help, its not a $6k car. Not being arrogant here, I have bought and sold dozens of air cooled cars but not one this old or this correct, I am not the seller, I am just getting some pricing info for the seller.

cal44 01-13-2010 12:54 PM

Two days ago I turned down a nice '74 Carrera (real) at just a touch over 19.5. Matching bla bla.
I will say that when I see (in the prior link) a price not attached to a vehicle, I never call.
It's an old trick in selling. The person has something you want and like a small child you are required to ask the price. Its all about control from the seller. He will dictate everything, almost.
There is a '74 coupe in Colorado for 16.5. Nice car but to much.
Granted its nice not to have to smog but when I can buy nice mid eighties Carrera coupe for 18K.....I'll go with Carreras.
Now having given my useless opinion.........I still want a '74 coupe

Trader220 01-13-2010 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by cal44 (Post 7219640)
Two days ago I turned down a nice '74 Carrera (real) at just a touch over 19.5. Matching bla bla.
I will say that when I see (in the prior link) a price not attached to a vehicle, I never call.
It's an old trick in selling. The person has something you want and like a small child you are required to ask the price. Its all about control from the seller. He will dictate everything, almost.
There is a '74 coupe in Colorado for 16.5. Nice car but to much.
Granted its nice not to have to smog but when I can buy nice mid eighties Carrera coupe for 18K.....I'll go with Carreras.
Now having given my useless opinion.........I still want a '74 coupe

Working on figuring out a fair price to offer the car, it’s not for sale yet.
I don’t care for ads without a price either but I am not as cynical as you, I don’t think all the sellers are playing games.

GothingNC 01-13-2010 01:26 PM

Horrible time to sell an early 911 right now.

How long is he willing to put it on the market?

Have the head stud been replaced with "time-certs" and valve guides?

I would look at SC's and 84-85 Carrera's for sale that are similar in condition/mileage, then lower the asking price by about 10 to 15 percent.

Can you post some photos?

John

whalebird 01-13-2010 03:04 PM

I would love a 74 coupe as well. All the 2.7 cars are rock bottom now as they have been for a while. Personally, I like the 74 better than any other 2.7 but the prices quoted in this thread are rediculous and would squarly place the buyer in Carrera territory. Even at 11k I would be looking at SCs.
Good Luck. A feeler thread like this goes a long way with pictures, vin, etc. You've sold a bunch of these cars so you know what we want.

mck911 01-13-2010 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by Trader220 (Post 7219606)
1974 911 S with 57k miles, all service records, plus COA and original sticker. 2 owners, 100% oem on all parts. Mechanical updates ... chain tensioners and pop off valve. Cosmetic and mechanical condition exceptional. NO RUST no issues, NO sunroof. Runs, shifts, drives as it did from the factory.

I appreciate the help, its not a $6k car. Not being arrogant here, I have bought and sold dozens of air cooled cars but not one this old or this correct, I am not the seller, I am just getting some pricing info for the seller.

I feel that for a true low mileage, matching numbers car with complete history in the condition this car is in it wasn't a $6k car either but I'm not going to call it an $18k car.... If he's looking for top $, hold it for now. My car is a non S, lower miles (although nominal at that number and age), carrera tensioners as well, stainless exhaust, factory a/c. It should be a staring comp for you...factor in some $ to replace brake / fuel lines / belts / etc., rebuild calipers and a few other odds and ends. Paint was good for the age, not perfect. Also, keep in mind that this is a rust free Florida only car. If his car is a NE car I would be cautious with the non galvanized body as a buyer. I'm not saying your friend's car isn't nice, I'm just telling you about ONE sale that has actually taken place.

Timing is key, especially with the market the way it is.

Mia911 01-13-2010 06:40 PM

It all depends on the condition,milage and records of the car, I will laugh in your face if you offer me 20k for my 1974 911s....What I'm trying to say, don't expect too much for 6-7k..

mck911 01-13-2010 08:13 PM

Mia, that's easy to say when you're not selling the car.

My purchase wasn't exactly arms length....I mean, it was but it was a family friend who didn't drive the car and was happy to see it go to me. Maybe a few thousand more on the open market...

$20k puts you in a very nice Carrera...