Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Major Problem with Porsche NA and Insurance company.

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2002, 03:19 AM
Tezta
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Major Problem with Porsche NA and Insurance company.

Hello, I'm brand new to this forum, and i have a bit of a problem i would like some opinions from others on this board.

I was wondering if any porche owners out here have had any problems with the customer service of Porsche dealers or even Porsche NA.
The reason i ask is because i have a 1991 carrera 4, 911 coupe, and well to be honest i am afraid to drive it. A while back my father bought the car brand new, and unfortunately he rolled the car. Well the insurance company had their "preferred body shop" "repair" the car. and well the body shop did not do a good job.
But we couldnt tell before we drove it right? so before we were allowed to take it home, here comes a Porsche rep from the headquarters. She looks the car over and says its fine, she even gave my father a letter claiming that the car was up to "industry standards". Well we took the car and belived the noble porsche rep. So it was settled, but didnt feel right. We then took it to another body shop and had it checked over.
Little did we know that the frame was never repaired, and found out that the frame was off by 10 mm, the seats were leveled together by a bunch of washers stacked under them, and the top of the seats, which were damaged during the roll over, were straightened and not replaced. We even took the car to the authorized dealer and they didnt want anything to do with it, but they did offer to have a different rep to analyze the car. How nice of them, but this rep said "the car could have been fixed abit better" and also told us that he would send a report from his office.....we never got that report.......I asked the insurance company to repair what they didnt, but they gave me a good run around. I am not really mad at the insurance company, i mean they are known to #$%# around, but i am really pissed off at g__d___ Porsche NA.
Any suggestions? I want to know if anything similar has happened to anyone else.
Old 08-09-2002, 10:41 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Talking

I am a little confused here. A 1991 C4 purchased brand new a little while back. Brand new was 11 years ago. When was it rolled, sounds very recent. What have PCNA got to do with a 1991 C4. Are you sure we are talking a 1991 or 1999 C4.
Please re-read what you have posted and edit it to make a tad more sense.
However I would take the 911 whatever year it is straight to your nearest Vehicle Inspection (DMV) facility and have the once over carried out. If they deem the 911 unoraodworthy due to bad repairs the insurance company will have to fix it up. From what you describe this 911 is dangerous and if the frame is that badly out of shape it should be scrapped.
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4
Old 08-09-2002, 12:29 PM
Wil Ferch
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi:
Your first problem was when you said "the insurance company had their "preferred" shop" repair the car. Ahhh..ummm...The insurance company doesn't own the car...YOU do ! They ( by law, at least around here), cannot determine where the car should be repaired. You are still part of the equation. You own the car. You take the car to where you want it repaired. That place then haggles with the Insurance Company. Also, what credentials are there for the Porsche NA rep to sign-off on the car and pronounce it fit? As soon as she gets involved , and offers an opinion, ( or more)..she's "bought" part of the problem.
I hate these stories...but sadly see too much of it.
---Wil Ferch
Old 08-09-2002, 12:33 PM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

why would Porsche even look at the car?...its not their responsibilty
Old 08-09-2002, 02:41 PM
Tezta
Advanced

Guys, thanks for the replies.

First, the car was bought brand new, model year 1991, 11 years ago, and it was rolled 6 months after my father bought it. As for the insurance company, they had their preferred body shop fix the car, my father owned the car, and BTW was an immigrant to america for 2 years at the time and did not know the ins and outs of insurance claims. As for the Porsche rep, who knows why she came to verify the car? All i know is i have a letter from her stating that the car was "fine".

Adrian, So in order to have the car deemed unsafe, i only have to go to the DMV? i though i had to have the car checked out by a body shop and have a new quotation for a proper repair carried out.
Old 08-09-2002, 02:46 PM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

so the accident took place 11 years ago?...and 11years later the car is unsafe?....what happened during the 11 years? I am pretty sure DMV caNNOT deem a car unsafe, that would have been the orginal ins. co......there would have made the car a "total loss" and gave your father a sum of cash!

I belive 11 years is waaaaayyy to long to try and dispute something?....
Old 08-09-2002, 03:36 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My opinion is that you are in a hopeless position, but my opinion doesn't count. Resolving your issue demands something more than advice on this forum.

My suggestion is to generate a chronology of the car's history as it relates to the accident & insurance claim, gather all the related documents you can locate (inc. the letter from the "Porsche Rep"), and meet w/ a lawyer who is expert in automobile accident insurance & repair issues. Best of luck.
Old 08-10-2002, 01:34 AM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I agree with previous posts that the original insurance company's adjustors would have had to total the car and then have the insurance company cut a check for the loss.

In my state, our State Patrol has inspectors that reinspect totalled vehicles that have been repaired and assess whether or not they are able to be licensed again.

Getting a vehicle written up as totaled and getting reimbursed for the car after having accident damage that is 11 years old may be very difficult. As Kevin states above, consult a lawyer.

Good Luck,
Jay
90 964
Old 08-11-2002, 02:16 PM
richard glickel.
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Tezta,

Legally, you are without remedy (IMHO). The statute of limitations for this type of mess has long since passed.

It seems that the car was "repaired" when, perhaps, it should have been "totaled" or sold for salavage.

If the car is unsafe (and I certainly believe you on that score), you've got to consider parting it out.

Sorry.

richard
'87 Carrera-3.6L
Old 08-12-2002, 11:27 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Talking

I am sorry but I have to agree with everyone else. 10.5 years have passed. I see why PCNA was involved at the beginning because the 964 would have still been under warranty. To continue the Life Time Guarantee all repairs had to be approved. However it was sooooo long ago nothing can be done now. You are on your own. Has this 964 been sitting around like this for 10.5 years. Hard to believe. I wouldn´t waste my money on a lawyer. If you still own this 964 sell it as a project or restore it yourself. Maybe you could be so kind as to post the VIN and then a carfax can be carried out.
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4

PS: Insurance companies total cars this is correct. I did not suggest this. I suggested that the DMV can declare a car not roadworthy or unsafe to drive and refuse to register the car. This is then used against an insurance company to force them to get the car repaired properly or total it and pay you out. Well worth a try anyway.
Old 08-12-2002, 01:30 PM
Tezta
Advanced

Actually we drove the car for a year after the repair, and then parked it. My dad did not know what to do, and had bad experiences with lawyers so he didnt hire one. The only thing im hoping on is that i hear if the car is still in the original owners possesion the insurance company still warrants the repairs made to it before. Anyone else hear of this? And when my father bought it in 91, he put his and my name on it the registration so that when i turned 16 or 18( i dont remember) the car would be legally mine. So technically i am still the orignal owner.
Old 08-13-2002, 02:56 AM
RANDY P
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you don't mind me asking, who is your insurer?
Old 08-13-2002, 08:48 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Talking

Okay I am game let us keep this going. I have to admit that the story is starting to change with little bits added. So back to the start.
1991 964 brand new. After 6 months of ownership it is rolled. It is repaired and passed by the insurance company and PCNA inspector. It is now driven for another year then suddenly parked. Tezta how old were you at this time. I am not an American and nor do I live in the USA but the laws around the world are basically the same. Registered owner was your dad. Insured driver was your dad. Purchaser was, your dad. The 964 remains your dads unless he sells it to you, or gives it to you and signs the title over to you.
However you are now saying it was driven for a year after the repair. Then parked so what time is this? circa 1994. It has been parked, but insured and registered every year and never driven. No emissions or roadworthy inspections required where you live.
Warranty on the work carried out is covered by local laws. There is no way anyone is liable for the repairs on this C4 anymore. It has been parked for years. Whoever told you the story about you being the original owner etc, I hope you did not pay for their beer.
Now seeing as I know a little bit about 964s I wonder if I could see a photograph of how this 964 looks right now. A set of current photos would be very valuable. Any chance of this. It must look a mess I would assume and this would be very useful in a positive way to me.
By the way if it really has been parked for all this time most of the running parts will be in serious need of major repair. If the chassis is bent like you say then it is scrap anyway or a very expensive repair.
Advertise the whole thing as a project on Rennlist classifieds. It will sell.
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4

Quick Reply: Major Problem with Porsche NA and Insurance company.