Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Supercharged 3.2 -- any experience?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2001, 08:37 AM
Michael H
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Supercharged 3.2 -- any experience?

Would be interested to hear about the experience of anyone who has supercharged (Paxton, etc) a standard 3.2 engine. I read about it in Anderson's book and was curious about user experience.
Old 12-07-2001, 09:38 AM
Cookie Porsche
Instructor

Morning,

A local shop recently build two 3.6 964 engines, using a UK Turbo Center super charger.

I was lucky to drive one and all I can say is...WANT ONE!

The engines were for a race car, but were being tested in a road car. The torque was mind blowing and the acceleration equally awsome.

During take off the nose points upwards!

Sell the kids, pawn the wife and beg - it's not cheap but hey, who cares?

Regards, Tom.
Old 12-07-2001, 10:21 AM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 143 Posts
The guy who works on my 911 has supercharged two other customer cars. The first one is now putting out about 450HP. On that one he rebuilt the engine prior to supercharging it. I don't know the specifics but the internals were modified because of the size of the supercharger. I went for a ride and the car flies and sounds like a jet and will pick the front wheels up at launch. The second one was a straight bolt on deal that isn't putting out nearly the same amount of power (I think around 300HP, maybe a little more). The first one was done about three years ago, the second only recently. I think the kits came from the supercharger guys in Knoxville, TN.
Old 12-08-2001, 01:23 AM
Dial 911
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Carrera51:
<STRONG>... The first one is now putting out about 450HP.... </STRONG>
You can almost hear those flimsy 3.2 rod bolts a-popping!
Old 12-08-2001, 05:46 AM
Stephen Masraum
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There are two or three guys on the email list that have supercharged 3.2's. I think they are pumping out about 315 rwhp.

Another option is a turbo upgrade that allows use of stock pistons. I know it sounds odd, but Protomotive (I think) has a couple of different turbo upgrades one is with a mostly stock motor, no intercooler, and low boost that still adds a fair amount of HP, then from there is just goes way up hill. lower compression big intercoolers etc. One of the guys on the email list in Australia is doing the mod to his '89 3.2L turbo-look cab. It's nice for him since he already has the suspension and brakes to handle the extra power.
Old 12-08-2001, 01:06 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Will 3.2 rod bolts be weakened by greater combustion pressure? I thought their failure mode was exposure to rpm above the stock rev-limiter... is accelerative force also an identified problem with them?

I wonder if a "conservative supercharger package" is tolerable on a stock 3.2? Does Supercharging of Knoxville make a kit like that? What is so intriguing about supercharging 3.0 / 3.2 engines is that the "low end" performance achieved (no throttle lag + HP at lower RPM) is (arguably) more applicable to US-type driving.
Old 12-08-2001, 04:17 PM
rickc
Instructor

Question

I contacted Knoxville about doing the whipple and paxton conversion. You will need as 930 decklid to make more room for the intake. I did not get a straight answer on where my air pump would go, I suspect nowhere. It looks like a relatively easy proposition as far as a bolt-on goes, but I have concerns with the emissions cops since I dont see how the air pump will fit with their installation. I would seriously consider the whipple, since it appeared to have a more linear torque curve (but its more expensive). Unless I can figure the emissions issue out though (no air pump)I am passing on the application.The higher compression 3.2 limits total boost as compared to a 3.0 '78-'79 vintage piston set.If you were willing to change pistons and cams, you could run alot more boost and see much higher HP numbers with the 3.2.The CIS arbox om 3.0SC is hurting the choice of my cam profile, that is unless I can find a trick aftermarket FI setup to replace the factory CIS.Any suggestions?
Old 12-08-2001, 09:06 PM
Michael Ghia
Advanced

Cool

Check out http://www.turboperformance.com
Mike fits Eaton M90 to the 964/993 and have just launched their 996 kit.
Usually the forced induction engine is kinder on rods and cranks as the pressure cushions the bottom end more. That said, you do expect it to produce more hp
MG
Old 12-08-2001, 10:16 PM
Mrdi
Advanced

Read the archives.
If you want a Turbo, buy a Turbo, cheaper in the long run and fewer bastardized Porsches around.

Mrdi
Old 12-10-2001, 10:46 AM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 143 Posts
Actually the rod bolts haven't popped in 3 years since the supercharger was done. Like I said before, the motor was rebuilt and modified to handle the HP. A gearbox was toasted though.

As far as "bastardized" Porsches, I guess Excellence Magazine doesn't mind them since they did a story on a supercharged 993. European Car even put it on the cover.
Old 12-10-2001, 12:25 PM
Chris Martin
Addict
Rennlist Member

To each his own with modification. I would love to see everyone drive a completely original car and never change it, so wheo ever wants to buy it someday would have a great Porsche to own. But, that's not reality. If I could afford a 993 twin turbo I would! In the mean time, a 3.6 conversion might be in the works for me SC. Heck, even the Chev-Porsche thing sounds interesting.

My local mechanic in Annapolis has a supercharged car that is incredible! I havent been in it but he says it is unreal to drive. So much power and not too expensive, truely a relative term since for me it is way too expensive! He did say that the packaged deals are not as complete as you would like. Not to knock anyone, but if you want a truely stock looking, reliable setup you will need to modify at least something. I would be nervous about putting a supercharger on my SC w/ 135k though. If you are going to spend all that $$ on a rebuild/upgrade internals and the supercharger, a turbo car is right there.

Good decision to have to make!

Chris
Old 12-10-2001, 06:30 PM
Tito 911
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Wink

Hello Guys im the new kid in the block But. i have done EXTENSIVE research in this subject i have a 88 carrera and i was going to supercharger it but to my surprise only knoville sell this type of kits theres 2 options 1) a 300 or do hp,and 2) 400 or so,i dont have all the papers in front of me but what i remenber #1 do not requiare internal modofications # 2 does,for the money went you get to the 400s thats it,so i choose turbo, at .5 bar,no internal
modifications,no intercooler,320 and 276 RWHP at a dyno and over 4,000 miles on her,so far so good.next 3.3 pistons and cylinders ,intercooler and 1.0 bar looking at 430-485hp will see.
Old 12-10-2001, 10:01 PM
richard glickel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Mrdi,

Allow me to play devil's advocate here; just what extent of modification will serve to earn the "bastard" designation?

Virtually from the company's start, Porsche cars have been personalized, tinkered with and seriously modified both, by the factory and by the earnstwhile owners of these cars.

I am wondering in my own case, whether replacing my Carrera's 3.2 engine with a (964) 3.6L engine is tantamount to "bastardizing my Porsche? If 993 race cars are fitted with 3.8L engines are these "bastards" compared to stock 993s with 3.6L engines? Do the owners of turbos who fit their cars with larger intercoolers and more potent turbochargers render their Porsches "bastards"?

Are 914s bastard Volkswagens?

If the nitwit in Louisiana had squeezed a 928 engine (V-8) into his 911 instead of a small-block chevy engine, would his car still be a "bastard"?

Historically, some of the most powerful and competitive Porsche cars bear very little resemblance to their initial or "factory" iteration. Bastards all?

Richard
'87 Carrera 3.6L (just another "lil' bastard")
Old 12-11-2001, 09:34 AM
Cary E
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
I think the "polite" term is Hot Rodded.

Can't help you with the Chevy conversions.
Now, thats a bastard step child.

I think most of us get "attached to our P-Cars. And want to go just a "liitle" bit faster as time goes on.

77 Carrera 3.0.

Soon to have full R/S suspension upgrade. Short ratio gear box with LSD. RSR bumpers. And a roll bar. I want to go just a "little" bit faster. To the next turn and out of the next turn.

Just my .02c.

Quick Reply: Supercharged 3.2 -- any experience?