Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

911SC paint

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 01:40 PM
WW911
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 911SC paint

The original paint on my metallic blue 81SC , although in overall excellent shape, is beginning to "craze", for lack of a better term, on the flat surfaces only. I don't think that there is a clear coat on the car, but if there is I could describe the problem as a deadening or scratching of the paint under the clear coat. You can't feel the problem areas, but in the direct sun it is obvious. A couple of paint shops immediately say that it needs painting, but I'm hesitant because of the cost for the kind of job that I would like, and the fact that for the most part, the paint looks great.
Any thoughts? Maybe a serious wet sand and buffing? I would appreciate input from anyone who has dealt with this ........
THANKS !
Old 09-22-2009, 01:43 PM
ricster
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If its crazed its telling me the oils in the paint are depleted and your due for a paint job. Sorry for being the bearer of bad news.
Old 09-22-2009, 01:43 PM
red89
Racer

Metallic has ClearCoat. Never heard of this happening to factory paint.

Last edited by red89; 09-22-2009 at 08:56 PM.
Old 09-22-2009, 09:29 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

You need to post pictures. It came from Stuttgart with a clear coat. What has happened since is any ones guess. I have heard of people wet sanding failing clear coat and and then reshooting the clear. But that was people doing their own cars. A shop probably doesn't want the responsibility if it all turns to poop.
Old 09-22-2009, 11:32 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Keep in mind that these cars are only original once in their lifetime. An original paint car, even with the minor issues you are having, is worth more than a repaint. Everytime.

Speak to a good detailer first before doing anything. Someone that is worth their salt in detailing may be able to get you a good solution to getting the paint fixed up better for $300 verses repainting that original car.

There is no law that says a 1981 car needs to be looking showroom new. A bit of patina from age is always acceptable. For example, there is a 356 in our local PCA chapter that has it's original paint, but is extremely checked from temperature changes and just plain being old. He refuses to repaint it (like most people think they should do) and always walks away with a trophy or tons of admiration for just plain leaving the car alone. It's waxed and well preparred when I see it, but that original paint is worth a ton even in it's condition.

Save your original paint!

Jay
08 987
90 964
84 911
Old 09-23-2009, 10:54 AM
WW911
Cruisin'

Thanks Jay ...
I agree ..... I was just looking at my options. The sun here in South Florida is murder on any paint, and metallic paint seems to be the worst. The car is garaged most of the time and only gets about 1500 miles a year. I'll research the area and fine someone who is willing so speak with me and not be quick to suggest a complete re-paint ......
Woody
Old 09-23-2009, 11:40 AM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Woody Woodhull
A couple of paint shops immediately say that it needs painting
Sure they did. They would have told you that if the paint was brand new. Never seek advice from someone who has a stake in your decision.

Take it to a detailer.
Old 09-23-2009, 02:07 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,149 Likes on 823 Posts

well the fact is if he does have harline cracking in the paint .. it is toast .... maybe you can minimize it or cover it up , but in some cases profesionals do tell you the truth ....
Old 09-24-2009, 10:52 AM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 98 Posts

You need to evaluate it carefully and asking a number of people with expertise to provide an opinion makes sense.

I personally feel for the more common cars (SCs and Carreras) there is a threshold condition level below which original paint is no longer an asset over a quality re-finish. Maybe 35 years from now if these cars get collectable that will be a different story, but not today. However, it sounds like your car likely has not hit that point.

Quick Reply: 911SC paint