911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Psycho Porsche-any else's do this???

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2009 | 12:21 PM
classic911
Instructor

Default Psycho Porsche-any else's do this???

About 5 weeks ago I started my 911 to take my son for ice cream and the car stunk of gas and sure enough there were drips coming from the fuel pump area. Started the car the next day sure enough the problem "corrected itself". Due to work/weather/etc. hadn't started the car for 2-3 weeks and yesterday it leaked again. Left the car out overnight, jacked it up, removed the fuel pump cover, and was ready to see where it was leaking from and sure enough the leak fixed itself(?!)....bone dry and car was running fine....WTF?
Old 09-20-2009 | 12:36 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

They always do that. If you let them sit long enough the broken head studs will heal.
Old 09-20-2009 | 12:53 PM
classic911
Instructor

Originally Posted by MUSSBERGER
They always do that. If you let them sit long enough the broken head studs will heal.
LOL. I started the car again and it is fine. Needs more love I guess....
Old 09-20-2009 | 03:09 PM
cal44
Burning Brakes

Your probably fine. Since it only did it a couple times I wouldn't give it a second thought.........
Its only gasoline............
Old 09-20-2009 | 03:29 PM
GothingNC
Drifting

Gas evaporated, that is why you did not see anything.

Trying running the car with the stone guard removed for a few minutes and then use a paper towel around the fuel pump fitting to see if any fuel residue seeped out.

Try it outside if you gave a gas water heater in the garage.

I had the same situation and replaced the banjo sealing washers and end cap.

John
Old 09-20-2009 | 05:51 PM
BLEW911
Track Day

Fuel hose leaks can sometimes "repair themselves" by swelling when wet. When they sit for a few days or longer they will dry out and start leaking again. Go figure. I had this exact problem.
Old 09-20-2009 | 09:56 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by classic911
About 5 weeks ago I started my 911 to take my son for ice cream and the car stunk of gas and sure enough there were drips coming from the fuel pump area. Started the car the next day sure enough the problem "corrected itself". Due to work/weather/etc. hadn't started the car for 2-3 weeks and yesterday it leaked again. Left the car out overnight, jacked it up, removed the fuel pump cover, and was ready to see where it was leaking from and sure enough the leak fixed itself(?!)....bone dry and car was running fine....WTF?
I have a Ford F-150 that need a fuel leak fixed. Can I just park it in your garage overnight instead?
Old 09-20-2009 | 11:44 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

just park it next to his water heater .... problem solved ..
Old 09-21-2009 | 01:46 AM
abe
Burning Brakes

I don't know how many times I have read about something like this only to end up as a catastrophy. Your car is warning you....look for the leak don't ignore it. Recently I had a small radiator fluid leak on my 3.0CSI BMW. I thought I fixed it by making the clamp tighter. Next morning still with a little leak...went to work and finaly the leaky hose gave way.
It was PIA to repair this in the office with little tools....I should have done a better job looking for that cracked hose.
abe

Quick Reply: Psycho Porsche-any else's do this???