Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

(Probably) Definitive Info on Colorado Emissions, Collector’s Plates and Late Fees

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2019, 04:06 PM
mutantfrog
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JonSnow83
Thanks Bob!

I wonder what constitutes "state-approved paperwork for an exemption"? I have the original docs from EPA when the car was imported showing proper conversion at the time. Of course, since then the cat and the stock exhaust have come off.

It sounds like your fate rests in the hands of the CDPHE and how forgiving they are. Not what I would call "reassuring".

Maybe I should just buy a GT3 and forget about air cooled cars altogether...
@JonSnow83 I own a Euro 911SC. Like your car, it used to have a cat. The car is currently registered in Illinois, but I am thinking of moving to Colorado. How did you end up registering your car given CO's emissions rules? Feel free to point me to a different thread.
Old 12-21-2019, 07:52 PM
jcmolina17
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by arrivederci
Also, you don't have to run your car to an air-care colorado emissions station to test cars that don't go on a dyno. I took my federalized, euro SC to a non air-care colorado emissions shop and I'm not sure the test guy looked for anything (not sure it is supposed to have a cat either) other than a tailpipe. Both my '81 and '72 passed easily and are on collectors plates.
what shop? I have the same issue now that my 1977 corvette did not pass emissions because no catalytic converter
Old 12-22-2019, 12:37 AM
raspritz
Burning Brakes

Received 252 Likes on 161 Posts

A lot of the info in this old thread is obsolete and incorrect given current laws. Colorado law now restricts new collector plates to 1975 MY and earlier cars, which never require emissions testing. The plates are good for 5 years but all taxes are paid at once. Cars from MY1976-1985 that have grandfathered collector plates need to pass emissions tests every 5 years so long as they are kept registered; that may retrofitting to cats or other emissions equipment. The plates are good for 5 years but all taxes are paid at once. Cars MY1981 and older must pass emissions testing every year; that may require retrofitting to cats or other emissions equipment. Most older cars back to MY 1982 require emissions testing every two years and definitely requires cats and other emissions equipment. Cars 7 years and newer do not require emissions testing. Requirements for where testing can be done varies by county, but AirCare Colorado testing stations are perfectly capable of testing cars that can't go on a dyno (such as 4WD vehicles, which are very common here).

So, my '67 and '69 911s are OK as-is. Your '77 'Vette without a cat is not.

Last edited by raspritz; 12-22-2019 at 12:54 AM.
Old 12-29-2019, 06:33 PM
dutchcrunch
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just moved to South Carolina or Florida and not deal with this crap. Man these states with emission on older cars go to friggin far. How many 1986 cars do you see in real life daily.

Quick Reply: (Probably) Definitive Info on Colorado Emissions, Collector’s Plates and Late Fees