Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Left camshaft oil line 85 Carrera

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 02:04 AM
TPink
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Left camshaft oil line 85 Carrera

I have an 85 Carrera engine. My left camshaft oil line is dripping when the engine is running (drips at the junction to the left of the hose section).

Vertex has this as a Porsche Cam Oil Line Left Camshaft Carrera for $25.00 and part #93010734704.

Has anyone replaced this part and what do I need to do? This is the 2nd time I had to replace this (about 5 yrs ago). (I also posted this message as a reply to the Post: 1989 911 Cam oil line, but decide to post new since my engine is different and I am concerned I might have something else to do or watch out for when replacing this.

Thanks
Old 06-18-2009, 09:07 AM
butzip
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Ummmm if this is the second time you've done it........, I assume a shop did it for you the first time? Take care of it asap before oil starts leaking on your hot cat = fire, ask me how I know..... If I remember correctly you'll have to remove the distributor to get to the case-side nut, the rest is straight forward. Be careful with the tensioner line, use 2 wrenches. While you're at it check the otherside too.
Old 06-18-2009, 09:09 AM
butzip
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Hey, I just noticed you're in CT. Where are you located? I'm in Suffield by Bradley airport.
Old 06-18-2009, 09:37 AM
TPink
Advanced

Thanks for the post.
I had a very reputable shop replace it last time, so I would be surprised if that were the problem. What causes them to fail, esp. at that junction? Vibration? Hard driving? Heat?

I wonder if it matters more WHERE you get the part. Is there a difference btwn factry or OEM part (does Porsche even make these themselves)? Do all online and retail stores have the same oil lines?
Old 06-18-2009, 09:37 AM
TPink
Advanced

I have never removed the distributor either...
Old 06-18-2009, 11:19 AM
TPink
Advanced

Porsche dealer says now it is two separate parts now (rubber piece separate), totaling $104.
Not sure if it is a better design now or just go with OEM.
Old 06-18-2009, 01:51 PM
wpriller
Burning Brakes

I had my top and bottom end done on my car and drove it up to Ohio. On the way driving it back down to Georgia, I notice smoke coming off my left heat exchanger. When I checked the engine compartment I notice oil leaking from the left cam oil line. I used some liquid weld at the banjo fitting until I got the car back to my mechanic.

My mechanic stated that it was the left cam oil line and the problem is those lines are remanufacture that are sold with the updated Carrera chain tensioner kits. The only part that is OEM supposely is the chain tensioner cover. He charged me $34.00 for the left cam oil line part, no labor to put it on. Pelican has the part for $22.50.

Originally Posted by TPink
I have an 85 Carrera engine. My left camshaft oil line is dripping when the engine is running (drips at the junction to the left of the hose section).

Vertex has this as a Porsche Cam Oil Line Left Camshaft Carrera for $25.00 and part #93010734704.

Has anyone replaced this part and what do I need to do? This is the 2nd time I had to replace this (about 5 yrs ago). (I also posted this message as a reply to the Post: 1989 911 Cam oil line, but decide to post new since my engine is different and I am concerned I might have something else to do or watch out for when replacing this.

Thanks
Old 06-18-2009, 05:14 PM
TPink
Advanced

I guess we just suffer with the quality, as two places I called could not tell me who made them but said they were OEM.
Old 06-18-2009, 05:36 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

just order the cam line. If you can change a tire then you can be talked through it on Rennlist. If you want to install it at home and get stuck, I'm sure many here will help you out.
Old 06-18-2009, 08:55 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,021 Likes on 726 Posts

a couple of basic tips .
Get an OE line if possible from Porsche
get new crush washers for the banjo fitting and other fitings as nesesary
do NOT over torque the banjo fitting as it can break easily.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:57 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
a couple of basic tips .
Get an OE line if possible from Porsche
get new crush washers for the banjo fitting and other fitings as nesesary
do NOT over torque the banjo fitting as it can break easily.
This is a must-new crush washers and ferrells, otherwise you'll just have leaks in a different spot!
Old 06-19-2009, 07:17 PM
carreraken
Advanced

When I changed this line on my 85 a few years ago, I discovered they changed the design slightly - they moved the middle tap about 1" on the updated/replacement line. It worked, but had to bend the other line to meet the new location.
Old 06-19-2009, 11:17 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by carreraken
When I changed this line on my 85 a few years ago, I discovered they changed the design slightly - they moved the middle tap about 1" on the updated/replacement line. It worked, but had to bend the other line to meet the new location.
Either bad parts or a screwy copy, IMO. I've changed both of mine in the last two years, and they matched perfectly....
Old 06-20-2009, 11:37 PM
carreraken
Advanced

Here was the difference:

I ordered this line from two different sources (including pp) and they were the same - not like my original.
Old 06-21-2009, 12:23 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,021 Likes on 726 Posts

it looks like the replacement one is just to short ... looks like the left side would overlay perectly .. are you sure your ordering the right part? just wonderin

Quick Reply: Left camshaft oil line 85 Carrera