Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Electrical problem with 911 Targa? Windows don't work, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 11:20 AM
tyjustice
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical problem with 911 Targa? Windows don't work, etc.

We are new to this hobby and recently bought a 1988 911 Targa. We aren't sure if all these problems are connected or not.

The headlights wouldn't turn on one day. The first thing we noticed was that when we wiggled the key the headlights will turn off an on; this also happens if we hit big bumps on a road. So if they don't turn on we just wiggle the key (I know this sounds strange) and then they turn on and we can drive as long as we avoid huge bumps.

Recently the power windows stopped working. Both windows and its random. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't though lately they work less and less. We have stopped trying them for fear we wont' be able to get them rolled back up! I swear the first few times it happened it only affected one window at a time.

The car has an old alarm on it. One night it went off and drained the batteries. Not sure if this was related or not but we are taking it in to get a better alarm installed since we park it outside and car theft is up in California.

I know I have heard that the window switches are a common thing that goes bad but could this be the problem? Are we experiencing problems all related or are they just separate issues?

All the other stuff seems to work great.

Any information or tips would be greatly appreciated!
Old 06-10-2009, 12:18 PM
RL911
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds like you have loose wires or a short somewhere.

For the windows? Have you pulled the switches? I am a new 911 owner and the first thing I did was replace a broken window switches, pry them out with a flat head, but be careful not to damage the upholstry. There are 5 or 6 wires connected to the switch and it's entirely possible that one has come loose.

If the wires look good and are all connected tightly, it could be a short somewhere along the line, much harder to fix, or it could just be a bad switch. If it's the latter, replace the switch, they are cheap. To replace: grab the wires with vice grips to prevent them from falling back in. You can pull the wires out a little as there should be some slack. Remember where each wire connects as they have to be connected in the same manner on the new switch.
Old 06-10-2009, 12:39 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

those symptoms sound like a worn out ignition switch. The switch has an electrical plug that screws into the mechanical tumbler and steering wheel lock. Other symptoms would be intermittant use of other electrical accessories, and an engine that sometimes does not start (no crank) or shut off.

The solution, if it's the switch, is to remove the driver's seat, crawl under the dash, and disconnect the wires going from the switch to the harness, lights, etc. You need some basic tools and a short allen key to get the switch out. Once out, you can use a screwdriver to remove the old electrical switch, and install a new one. Be sure to tighten the bolt at the steering wheel lock. Changing the switch does not require changing your key.
Old 06-10-2009, 10:16 PM
RShepHorse
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got an '84 targa, just 3 days ago hit both switches at once to put the windows up and they stopped a millisecond later half way up- pretty sure I need to toss a new fuse in, ?or relay?
Old 07-06-2009, 05:18 PM
hollywood213
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

check the fuse should be 25A. My driver side just went out, turned out to be the switch, i found one for 18.00
Old 07-06-2009, 06:55 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,148 Likes on 822 Posts

if they are both off the same fuse I would think so as the inrush current probably popped it .
Old 07-06-2009, 06:57 PM
ricster
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also check the wires in the fuse panel..loosen the screws on all of them and re-tighten..sometimes there is a bad connection there from corrosion buildup...also spray some contact cleaner in this area.

Quick Reply: Electrical problem with 911 Targa? Windows don't work, etc.