Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Engine Pricing Advice: Rebuilt 2.7 done right

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 11:17 AM
Svaha
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Engine Pricing Advice: Rebuilt 2.7 done right

A question regarding fair pricing on the following engine.
I have a newly rebuilt 911 2.7L engine built at Precision Motion in Riverside. All the machine work was done at Ollie's. It's a 7R Case, and we had it shuffle-pinned, line bored, added case savers, a late model pressure relief, new standard bearing, new rod bushings, new valve guides, new valves, new rings, new chains, all new gaskets etc. Engine price includes CIS if fuel injection is desired, or is optionally offered with carbs, we'll include proper cams but Webers would be at additional cost. The engine will be sold with a 6 month warranty, or 1 year warranty if we do installation into the car. I've had it offered at $6500, and I'm not getting much interest. I've got a chunk of change in this engine. What would be a fair price for such an engine, am I far off of the mark, or just need to wait longer for the right buyer.
Thanks for your input,
Mark
Old 02-14-2009, 11:55 AM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Its hard to say, but after all you did it would be a bargain at the price you stated. I think the only reservation I would have is the rings. After all of that, it would be nice to have a set of P&Cs. Mahle is the only way to go in my experiance and represents a huge chunk of change in the rebuild. The shape of the Piston makes a differance to the induction-carb or FI. If you used stock Ps and Cs then CIS is optimal. There are a lot of details and choices in this area and I am working off memory, so I will refrain from getting detailed here. I would say that you have a nice motor there and should be a steal at $6500. The most basic rebuild w/out P and c replacement should not be much less than about $8k. I have rebuilt 3.0 SC motors that costs exceded $24k and that was still CIS.
Old 02-14-2009, 01:32 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

I'd concur with Whalebird. Having done a LOT of these, $6500 is a good deal for someone.

I too, would have installed new P/C's given everything else that was done and the desire for long-term longevity.
Old 02-14-2009, 02:38 PM
jakeflyer
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I too, would have installed new P/C's given everything else that was done and the desire for long-term longevity.
Steve is well respected/skilled and this does bring up a point-------- how many miles are on the pistons-cyls?
Old 02-14-2009, 06:23 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Have you thought about buying a 2.7 liter car that needs an engine (in CA CIS is needed for smog on '76> models; carbs OK <'75 cars)? The problem with trying to sell a 2.7 engine is that it's a 2.7 engine. Done right they're great motors, but the vast majority are not done right, so climbing up reputation hill is the toughest part of your problem.

Can't make a call on the P/C set without seeing Ollie's numbers... Maybe they're good, maybe not.
Old 02-14-2009, 06:40 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I really like a well sorted 2.7 and there are lots of cars out there that need the motor. Reringing old pistons is not always a problem - there are plenty of circumstances that warant rings only. "reputation hill" is what a good running 2.7 will be the first to the top of if done correctly. I have known a few really nice 2.7s that would scream. A '74 can be pretty light and a nice 2.7 with modest upgrades can be a jagged(in a good way), throttle responsive(for CIS) torquey little motor that can turn some RPMs.

Quick Reply: Engine Pricing Advice: Rebuilt 2.7 done right