Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

New Paint Job on our 911SC, now is the time----Water base coming in California 1/1/09

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 08:58 PM
jakeflyer
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Paint Job on our 911SC, now is the time----Water base coming in California 1/1/09

We took the 911SC to the painter this week to paint the new whale tail and the price was right to paint the whole car. California goes to water based paints at the end of the year and this is our closing window to get the better DuPont on the whole thing. Paint prices do not reflect the soft financial situation but the shop was happy for business and the Christmas season is slow for them. If you are California and have a keeper that needs paint, this is a time to get some bids.

This purchase is a part of our family approach to Christmas giving this year. Paint for the 911, tires and a real shop tune up check out for the Boxster are items of combined/multi-giver purchases. As with some others, we are watching the budget this Christmas and attempting to target wanted and needed items with reduced over all spending.

As discretionary spending contracts, parts sales and repair are reduced. It is posssible that with some spending now, the impact can be reduced for our Porsche wrench. Maybe you need something done before Christmas. I suggest that it would be dollars well spent from several aspects--- all good..
Old 11-18-2008, 09:18 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

A lot of shops and manufacturers have been usingwater based paints for some time now, and there are some great results. I'm not sure I'm going to lose sleep over making a beeline to the paint shop.
But you're right, the slow economy may provide for some price breaks, shorter leadtime and hopefully higher quality due to increased focus on thj work that a given shop does have.
Old 11-18-2008, 09:33 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,149 Likes on 823 Posts

"2K" paints have been in Canada a long time , I am really surprised they have not been mandated in the US yet
Old 11-18-2008, 10:23 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm stunned by this news. Brace's Auto Body in Culver City, CA (the shop that did my tail and lid recently) has been using water-based base coats for almost ten years now. He has just about perfected the Glasurit system, and they seem to have all of the 6-month to a year after fading problems worked out.
Old 11-19-2008, 12:47 AM
DWalker
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree, we have used the waterborne paints for some time now and have had few problems. In fact, the waterborne stuff actually seems to cover better and uses less material, keeping costs down. Couple the waterborne paint systems like AutoAir with the new Nano ceramic clears and you have an absolutely incredible paint job with possibly the ultimate scratch resistance. Not sure how many are aware of the new Nano clear coats, as many paint shops hate working with it, but it is incredible stuff. Used by Mercedes and BMW for a few years now, its extremely scratch and chip resistant. In fact, once the clear has cured for more than 24 hours you will need to use special polishes to buff it out, which is why busy bodyshops tend to not want to use it.
Old 11-19-2008, 10:16 AM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jakeflyer
We took the 911SC to the painter this week to paint the new whale tail and the price was right to paint the whole car. California goes to water based paints at the end of the year and this is our closing window to get the better DuPont on the whole thing. Paint prices do not reflect the soft financial situation but the shop was happy for business and the Christmas season is slow for them. If you are California and have a keeper that needs paint, this is a time to get some bids.

This purchase is a part of our family approach to Christmas giving this year. Paint for the 911, tires and a real shop tune up check out for the Boxster are items of combined/multi-giver purchases. As with some others, we are watching the budget this Christmas and attempting to target wanted and needed items with reduced over all spending.

As discretionary spending contracts, parts sales and repair are reduced. It is posssible that with some spending now, the impact can be reduced for our Porsche wrench. Maybe you need something done before Christmas. I suggest that it would be dollars well spent from several aspects--- all good..
Please post some pics when it is done.

Quick Reply: New Paint Job on our 911SC, now is the time----Water base coming in California 1/1/09