Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

any of you guys running 15w/50 amsoil race oil?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 04:08 PM
Brads911sc
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No offense to the experts... but "low quality but technically ok"? So after reading 50 pages of data and posts on Pelican about how bad just about everything but BP and swepco is... by the people selling BP, we are still ok with Castrol GTX 20w50... Thank god. note sarcasm here... Seems to me the "experts" cant get their story straight... perhaps if they werent selling what they are pushing as the only ones being ok... they would be more credible...

--------------------------------------------
"The Castrol GTX 20w50 still has SG levels of Zn and P, so yes, technically it's ok, but that's not everything when considering an oil. GTX is a very low quality oil, and as such, doesn't perform that well regardless of Zn and P. For very short drain intervals and pleasure driving, it's probably ok. There are better choices though. At least the HM holds it's viscosity a bit better than the regular GTX.
Aircooled Precision Performance
"

Last edited by Brads911sc; 11-14-2008 at 04:28 PM.
Old 11-14-2008, 07:21 PM
Daniel Dudley
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used to love Castrol GTX, but every engine I ever tore down had a lot of varnish deposits when using it. Really gummed up rings as well.

I believe that Amsoil is a superior oil. I do not use it, but one of the 928 racers uses it, and he got some ungodly high miles out of his race engine with that oil, and those engines are known for eating the 2/6 rod bearings under race loads.

The fact is, people ask, many post, you decide. Many 911s have been eating the cam lobes. Some 928 GTs as well. High Zinc oil prevents this. That is not opinion, that is fact. BTW, I also have loked into the Redline products. Apparently their 10/40 is more comparable to conventional 20/50. That is why they reccomend it for these engines.
Old 11-14-2008, 09:13 PM
Brads911sc
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im not saying I like Castrol GTX. For years i used SL rated Exxon and now I use Kendall GT1. Its just interesting how Charles and other experts state how bad all these SM oils are.. then when pushed with real data... That the additives dont even apply to 20w50... in cars that dont even have flat tappets... they backtrack... Based on my reading of posts.. Charles stated that basically only BP or Swepco is ok a year ago.. now VR1, Redline, even lowely Castrol are "technically" ok. Which is it? You cant have it both ways. Dont mean to rant... Im happy with the GT1... but Charles claimed that GT1 wasnt ok... surely its better than GTX which now he says is ok... Again... I dont like to be given scientific hype by a guy selling the product he is claiming is basically the only "safe" option..
Old 11-16-2008, 11:04 PM
RoninLB
Pro

Mobil 1 Extended Performance 15W-50

HT/HS applications.

Racing and Flat tappet applications SM
Old 11-17-2008, 08:02 PM
Vino
Racer

Originally Posted by RoninLB
Mobil 1 Extended Performance 15W-50

HT/HS applications.

Racing and Flat tappet applications SM
I too have been looking into the Mobil1 15w-50 oil since the Zn and P are at levels that are required for our motors and can be found at most auto stores.
There was mention of too much detergents in the oil but I didn't see an analysis that backed up anything about this oil during use that would make it bad?
Also look at Redline 5w-30 for the northern folk, pretty impressive VOA though at $10 a qt. I don't know.

To keep this on subject I believe Amsoil gets their base stock from Exxon/Mobil.

The sad thing about all these threads is we have yet to see an oil analysis on a air-cooled 911 from any model, I just hear word of mouth which isn't enough.
Pelican parts could have stopped the oil discussion by page 3 or 4 with some hard data "results" posted up, it's 50 pages of "what do you think of this oil" and now I am using Brad Penn 20w-50

There were two postings of Brad Penn "10w-30" VOA's on BITOG that didn't show the 1200 PPM of Zn and P, I think they were in the 900 range which was interesting....
This summer I will post my findings with a VOA on the 20w50 and UOA from the BP in the car after about 1000 miles.

If any of you did an oil analysis on your SC's or Carrera's, I am sure many of us would like to see your results.

Quick Reply: any of you guys running 15w/50 amsoil race oil?